Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Joining the 1. e4 hype train. It's a classic for a reason: the centre's important, and doesn't expose the King to sneaky bishop attacks like d4 might.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Hurm. I'm not fond of just gobbling up stuff without any further plan, especially if it's just going to be taken by their Queen, and we've no strategy to take her in response. My first instinct is d3, which means e-pawn will at least cost the pawn, but could lead to d3-dxe4-dxe4-QxA4 :ohdear: ....

-oh poo poo! Another possibility: Bb5+ (check)! Then they'd be forced to move either their light-square bishop or queen to d7, and we can possibly take the pawn next turn (or then play Nc3, which supports the bishop and threatens their pawn).
-wait, no, they can also counter with a pawn to c6.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

jon joe posted:

You asked for a further plan, so here it is: It will be an even pawn trade and we can develop our board while chasing the queen to a poor spot with knight to c3. The best move they can make in response is queen to a5, which while not immediately touchable is also not doing a lot for black. The end result is that we can develop our board in a better way than our opponent through the gain into tempo. That's all if they make no mistakes.

Thanks for this post, I feel slightly better about exd5. Although, if this is Goon-speed hyper-aggressive chess, the more likely continuation would be Qe6+.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Go on then. I vote exd5, and I believe that's 10 votes.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Work-postin', but first instinct is to stick with the previous idea of Nc3.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Covski posted:

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.

Voting for d4. My original idea was Nc3, which would end up Nxd5-Nxd5-Qxd5, which ain't good. Possibilty of playing c4 now, which would end up in a similar situation to Nc3 but at least would leave us with a knight and a pawn taken at the cost of 2 pawns.

Another thing to consider: they didn't take the unsupported pawn with their queen, so perhaps our interpretation of Goon-style hyper-aggressive chess was way off. And there's no guarantee that they'll even take the d5 pawn. How would we respond to Ne4? And then Nf2??? Actually, this early on, Kxf2 would counter that.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Voting Bb5+.

Fat Samurai posted:

After that, here's the board:
[Black to move]

At this point, the temptation is going to be strong to take our Queen.

I feel the temptation won't be strong enough, and they'll counter with bxc6, making us play Ba4 (Not Bxc6+?, since Nxc6!). But we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

jon joe posted:

No sir, this isn't a problem at all; we capture with our pawn. We would absolutely love it if they took the bait of our queen, because then their best case scenario is the loss of their own queen and bishop, with their worst case being checkmate if they select to push their queen to block for the king.

Here's the board state of the move we make after they capture with their bishop, if they opt to do so:

See?

I don't think they're going to take the bait. If we play dxc6 I feel they'll just play bxc6. My vote is for f3.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

jon joe posted:

And if they take bxc6, we've proven our pawn up; before it was tenuously hanging on a thread due the presence of the knight, but then it would be traded off for another pawn. Afterwards, we just play f3, which puts us the same blocking position, but in a way better board state in our opponent regardless of whether they choose to retreat or take our bishop.

See?

And then they play cxb5, we retaliate with fxg4, they play Nxg4 and the whole thing's gone to poo poo.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

jon joe posted:

We would absolutely love it if they responded to fxg4 with Nxg4:

Our move, queen takes knight on g4.

Hmm, maybe. Not sure where we'd go from there, though.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
OK. That's a pretty strong consensus, so in the interests of keeping the game's pace up I'm changing my vote to dxc6, and I think that's the 10 votes required. Will they take the queen-bait?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
I'm happy with Nf3. I wonder if Nc3 is worth consideration, also?

blizzardvizard posted:

Is there a reason why they won't respond with Bf3 afterwards? Or do we not mind if that happens?

We could also respond to Bf3 with gxf3. Tasty, tasty bishop, at the cost of not having a nice clean kingside castling. :chef:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
My only worry after Qxf3 is their Qxd4. gxf3 takes care of the problem at the cost of our pawn structure and somewhere nice to castle. Be2 is a terrible stop-gap measure that unpins their knight.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Qxf3. Let's give this plan a shot.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Voting for a kingside castle. Might as well get the big lad a bit more safe while we've got the time.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Covski posted:

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.O-O e6

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.

Voting c3. It supports our d-pawn, it covers another square if they're planning to move their dark-squared bishop out to facilitate castling.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Sebzilla's convinced me. Putting our bishop on f4 keeps their king from moving anywhere else. Bf4.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Good luck with the real life things, Jon Joe. You'll be missed.

Thinking out loud (typing, whatever): Taking the c6 knight is very silly, since it'd go our bishop->their pawn-> our queen->their queen. Pawn to d5 helps us threaten that knight, but would probably be taken by their e-pawn, giving it the rook's protection as it marches down the board. Bishop to f4 would be a big loss of tempo, and they woudn't throw their queen away like that, so that's out. Beyond that, there's still a handful of development moves, Knight to c3 is still on the table, and pawn to b3 would strengthen our c4 pawn. Or we could try rook to d1, and give our d-pawn more support.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Fat Samurai posted:

Ok, that Knight is no longer pinned. Options:

Pawn to d5 (unless I'm missing something) is easily countered with Ke5 and we have to retreat our queen, completely losing both control of the centre and momentum. At that point, Black can easily take our c4 pawn after chasing our bishop away with a6.

Black to move.
One possible counter to this: move our queen to f4 instead of retreating to g3, although this probably ends in mutually assured queen destruction. (One possible line: d5 Ne5, Qf4 Ng4 (since Nf3+, Qc3).)

Fat Samurai posted:

On the other hand if we don't defend our d4 pawn (say, we move our queen knight), Black can take d4 with their Knight, we take their knight with our bishop and they take our bishop with their rook, recovering a pawn and leaving their rook smack dab in the middle of the board.

White to move. Horrible. Our Bishop is blocked, and if chased away our other pawn is dead.
Then Qe3 makes the rook run away (Although I'd expect they'd play Rxc4, Bxc4 Qxc4).

Fat Samurai posted:

We could take their bishop with our pawn, which ends up with the sequence Cloud Potato hast posted, which isn't nice for our development but leaves their queen side pawns completely isolated, but playing a pawn game will be boring.

White to move. Not bad, but we lose the Bishop pair, which would be nice with such open lines.
The sequence I posited leaves their queen on c6, not a pawn. Much worse.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Joining in with the Rd1 consensus.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
If we leave the pawn, and if next turn they take our d-pawn, that'd end up with our bishop takes->their knight takes->our rook takes->their rook takes. So that's bad too.

Moving the queen forward to support our d-pawn's no good either: f4 loses to the pawn, and e4 & g4 loses to the knight.

But ooh! Queen to f5, check! I don't think Black's got anything threatening that square, and the check forces them to either block or move the king. Most likely they'd play Nd7, or Rd7 or Qd7. But would that help us? And we still can't take their e-pawn, since their other knight's covering it. Honestly, the only follow-up I can think of is Qxf7, for full crazytown frolics.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
I like the idea of d5, but I'm worried that they'll counter with Nd4 and we either sacrifice our bishop for their knight, or our queen gets put into a very bad position. Which has me wondering if we play Qf5+ this turn, they presumably retreat their knight, and then play d5 the next turn. But that involves hoping that they make the move we want them to; their Qd7 to block the check seems quite nasty.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

habituallyred posted:

We could kick this can down the road by going Queen to h3. In fact I think I will recommend that: Qh3. Preemptive fiddling but it gives us time to think, since we are pretty sure they will move their king to b8. Unless they move their rook to
d7? Now I don't know what to do.

I don't like d5, we need to do something about that pawn in e5. Otherwise they will move up next turn and make us fiddle around with our queen to avoid losing it to the knight or pawn.

A check along c8-h3 can be blocked by either their queen, rook or knight. I thought the knight block was more likely when pondering Qf5+.

oath2order posted:

Actually, I kinda like the idea of forcing check at this point. It limits them to a very small number of moves, none of which are really helpful. It also I think weakens thier best move if we move d5 next round, which is nd4. If we initiate the capture exchange there we end up with this board.

What do you think, everyone?

Black plays Bc5, our rook moves and f2 pawn is pinned.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Voting for Bxc6. Moving the pawn to d5 just seems to doom our queen; I'm still not 100% convinced that taking the knight is just throwing our Bishop away. But it does kill their knight, so let's fulfill the goon hyper-aggressive chess game stereotype.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Lichess board URL.

Killing the e5 pawn will be tricky, since it's covered by their queen, and taking with our d-pawn costs us a rook. Nc3 practically invites exd4, though Fat Samurai's plan has us immediately re-take with our bishop. Not sure how that plan would cope with their c5 straight after. Edit: Actually, responding to c5 with Nb5 is very interesting...

Another possibility is just play d5 and open the blood gates (d5 cxd5, cxd5 Nxd5, Rxd5 Rxd5, Qxd5). We could force a pointless check with Qf5+ or Qh3+, easily blocked by 3 pieces or just moved out of. c5 is just stupid.

I'll vote in the morning, but leaning towards Nc3 and Operation Fat Samurai at this time.

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 2, 2017

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Voting Nc3. I think that's eight votes: how many do we need for a majority nowadays?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Lichess board URL.

habituallyred posted:

Pawn to g5 would have made more sense to me, so that might be what they are going for next.

If they moved their g-pawn our queen could take their knight easily, and then take a rook the next turn.

This h-pawn seems like blatant queen-bait, and with their rook (and knight!) just sitting there, so that's an obvious no-go. Shouldn't threaten it with g4 either (g4 hxg4, Qxg4+ Nxg4).

On the other hand our options are looking pretty slim, too. My initial thought is a simple b3, for that nice powerful diagonal line of pawns, but be wary that it's no defence against their remaining bishop.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

sebzilla posted:

Can we just dxe5 and commence the bloodshed? Without going too far into it I think we're going to come out on top. If they go for the Rook trade it's to our advantage and leaves their King more exposed. If they Qxe5 then we can Qxc6+ and they start looking very vulnerable. Their other options are retreating the Knight to a useless position or abandoning it to a pawn. Ng4 is probably the only remotely worthwhile option for the Knight but then we can Bf4 to back up our pawn and/or threaten the Queen.

Hmm. dxe5 Rxd1+, Rxd1 Qxe5, Qxc6+ Kb8, Rd8# and game. No guarantee that Black would go for that pawn, though.

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 3, 2017

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Voting b3. We should hold off the slaughter until we've no other options. Plus, this pawn move they've done feels like a cry of desperation, that they know they're running out of sensible moves. If we keep the pressure up, they'll have no choice but to do a silly move, wich is when we capitalise.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
I don't think Bg5 is a good idea, as it lets Black take our e5 pawn without consequence, as well as threaten our queen on f3. On the other hand, it's possible that Bf4 won't stop them from taking our pawn, then we take their knight, they take our bishop with their queen, leaving us with:

(White to move)

Given all that, I still think Bf4 is our best option for the moment.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

sebzilla posted:

Nb5 is our path to victory, comrades.

OK, let me see if I follow your reasoning: Nb5 cxb5, Qa8+ Qb8, Rxd8+ Kxd8, Qxb8+ and that's where I lose the thread.

(Black to move, in check)

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Surely in the example I posted, we lose our remaining knight and a rook in exchange for their queen?

On the other hand, hopefully the threat of Nxc7 next turn will prevent Black from taking our bishop this turn. Voting Nb5.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
There's a part of me that wants to play Qf4 (instead of taking our knight, Black somehow moves theirs), Qxc6#. But we can't make their moves for them. Voting Qf5+.

Dr. Fetus posted:

As for Na7+...

Well, we'll be putting that King in Check alright.

But they can just take with their Queen, and move her out of danger. At which point we'll have to give up either our Queen or Rook with pretty much nothing to gain.

Bxa7 seems the next logical move here. Then Nxf3, gxf3 and then it's 2 rooks, bishop and 6 pawns against 2 rooks, bishop and 4 pawns.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Current Lichess board link.

Voting Nxa7+.

We have to be very careful the next couple of moves. If we give them the chance I can see them playing Qxd1+, Rxd1 Rxd1#. This pressure could be eased with g3, but at the loss of a lot of tempo.

It sounds like most of our plan is based around taking their queen next turn, and in turn our queen being taken by their rook, but they may retaliate with their knight instead. I think it's worth considering.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
The cabin won. Like in all the slasher movies. And that one Frasier episode.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Lichess link. Congrats on surviving the cabin, Covski.

The queen must fall. Voting Rxd7+.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

sebzilla posted:

They go Rxd7. We can take their Knight (Qxe5) for nothing.

Agreed.

sebzilla posted:

They go Nxd7. We play Qxf7 and pin the Knight while threatening the remainder of their backline? Or Rd1 to bring our other rook into the fray (effectively still pins the Knight otherwise we go Rxd8)?

I feel Rd1 is still subject to the "Rook takes Rook on d1 and insta-wins" possibility, even with their knight providing cover for now. My thought here was Qa5, tightening the noose around their king and threatening their rook.

sebzilla posted:

They move their King. We probably still want to take the Knight.

If they're silly enought to move their King, then taking their rook with Rxd8 would be better.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:choco: Qxe5.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
The worry with Qe8 is if they counter Re7, making any taking of their pieces a death sentence for our queen. It does give us the time to then play Qa4 and save our knight, but that feels like ceding the middle of the board to our opponents. Voting Nb5, although I'm not too sure where to go from there.

Also, this mucks up the new voting gubbins: before my vote we had enough votes to proceed, and now I feel like I'm holding things up by voting this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Why throw your rook away like that? Strange.

Rxd1 seems like the best idea to me.

Edit: Current Lichess link.

• Locked thread