Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

So bearing in mind I'm pretty much completely new at chess, my first thought is Knight to b-3 to contest the black pawn, and I guess also threaten the center area. Is that a good idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

gently caress I meant knight to c-3 not b-3 :v:

That said, after reading FatSamurai's post, I think I like exd5. Seems a good idea to keep being aggressive, especially when you move first.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

What makes d4 so good? Is it to open up plays from the bishop and the queen?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I'll vote for dxc6 as well. Though more because f3 at this point will probably result in both sides losing their bishops, and despite that being an even trade, going for a move that will make us lose a piece for no clear advantage seems kinda dubious to me. In my beginner eyes, anyway. If dxc6 goes through, and they respond with bxc6 (which seems to me their best option), I'll probably vote for FatSamurai's Be2 suggestion instead of initiating the even trade.

By the way I'm just gonna try to voice out my thoughts even though I'm not 100% sure I understand everything completely, so hopefully that's not gonna bother the more knowledgeable people around here :shobon:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Is there a reason why they won't respond with Bf3 afterwards? Or do we not mind if that happens?

My thinking is that line will result in them having two knights out while we only have a bishop and a bunch of pawns, but I'm not sure know how bad/good that board state is.

E: oh wait, if they do that then we can do Qf3 and develop our queen, is that right?

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 16, 2017

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Alright, throwing my vote for Nf3.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Well. Qxf3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard