Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Like I said in sign-ups, I'm better at being reactionary than planning ahead, and the opening move is all planning. So, I'll hop on the e4 bandwagon for this turn. Expect me to do better once our opponents have made moves for me to analyze, but I wouldn't bet on me making a team-saving argument that brings us from the brink of defeat to an unlikely victory like in the RPS thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
After all the posting on it, I'll agree with exd5.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

jon joe posted:

d4 is the correct move here, and here's why (references the videos I posted earlier);

Fat Samurai posted:

Think about the "controlled" squares on the board.

Yeah, I'm voting d4 after these posts.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
All this discussion has definitely got me behind dxc6.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Let's stick to the plan and go Nf3.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Cloud Potato posted:

Hmm. dxe5 Rxd1+, Rxd1 Qxe5, Qxc6+ Kb8, Rd8# and game. No guarantee that Black would go for that pawn, though.

I'm running the Lichess thing myself to actually contribute to a vote for once, instead of following blindly. If we go for this, they could instead of Kb8 go Qc7, and force us to either trade Queens or back off, like so:

White to move.

And that's if they go for the pawn, like you already questioned. If not, then we've only captured a Pawn and a Rook, and traded a Rook of our own for it. What if we instead look for even more bloodshed with d5?

Black to move.

This puts it on them to start a forever-war over D5, which I feel we would come out ahead in looking like this:

Where it doesn't matter what order they throw in their Pawn, Knight, and Rook, as long as our order of counter-attack is Pawn, Knight, Queen. Black to move.

The main problem I see is that our left side ends up collapsed, and their Queen could be free to roam the board, but it does take out their remaining Knight and one of their Rooks. Of course, that assumes they'll commit to it, but if they don't, then we've got a Pawn (or stronger, if they break off in the middle of the battle for the space) further up the board than before, without letting their Rook into our backfield.

I'm no master strategist, so please tell me everything horrible about this plan that I'm not seeing right now. But for now, in case I miss coming back to the thread before deadline and so I don't fall off the active roster, I'm putting in my vote for d5.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Yeah, Qf5+ looks good to me.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.