Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Pawn E2 to E4 is a fairly standard opening move. (Along with D2 to D4). Can't go wrong with the classics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

jon joe posted:

Actually I take that back, blocking with the bishop would be better in that position for us. Still, it's an incredibly awkward position that black would be putting themselves in, so I'm happy to bait as many "aggressive" moves that we can get our hands on.

I agree. exd5 lets us be aggressive, and we can react accordingly from there.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Alright, so if they use their queen to take our bait, what's our game plan? Or if they ignore our bait entirely?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

There are also people who know how to play chess in the other thread. The better players might spot the problem with sending their queen out this early. Unless they somehow have a super secret plan for that, but it would be too early in the game to start seeing that far ahead. Ignoring the queen bait is a real possibility.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

How should pawns generally be handled at the beginning of the game in chess? Would you want to try to move them as such to prioritize some of your more important pieces being able to move out early on?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I guess the typical response here would be Pawn D2 to D4. Unless someone else has a better suggestion.

So does this tell us anything about our opponents?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Added Space posted:

Why not Bb5? That forces them to sacrifice a piece.

That might look good on paper, forcing a Bishop or a Queen to come out, but they could also just block that by moving their C7 Pawn to C6. And then both our Bishop and Pawn would be in danger unless we can somehow capitalize on that move.

EDIT: Oh wait, we do have a pawn deployed there, and it'll be safe if we force a check like that. So we could use that to take their pawn instead, moving it out of danger from the other Knight and... I'm not really sure where we could go from there. So I won't be changing my vote just yet.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jul 12, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, something to also keep in mind is how easy/hard it is to send out the back row pieces into active duty.

Knights: No need to move the pawns since they can just jump over them.

Bishops: Only one pawn diagonally from them needs to be out of the way for them to be ready to go.

Rook: Only the pawn in front of them needs to be out of the way, but at minimum it would take a Rook at least 2 turns to be in active duty near the opening stages (since they would have to move vertically, then horizontally to be in a relatively good position), which definitely makes them a pain to send out since 2 turns is a fairly heavy investment. Castling can be a nice way to send a Rook out into active duty faster (while also protecting the King) but there are certain conditions that have to be in effect before you can use that move.

Queen: Any of the pawns in front of her would have to be gone, though sending out the Queen early is risky.

King: You typically don't want to do this since the objective of the game is to keep the King safe.

In the opening stages, you wouldn't want to make the job easier for the opponent unless necessary, since that can give them an advantage since more of their pieces would be in active duty earlier.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My guess is that they're also trying to scout us as well, seeing how we'd respond to these moves.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

oath2order posted:

Yes, I am sold on d4 as well. We'll need to go off-book eventually, though.

Opening is probably where things are gonna be on-book the most. Chess has been researched so much that what can happen in the opening of the game has been documented a lot. We'd still be on-book, just using a different kind of book if we used some other moves. Once it reaches the later stages of the game, there would probably significantly less documented moves to choose from.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Bishop to B5+ seems like a good plan.

And yeah, we can just block off the Bishop threatening our Queen with a Pawn once they get out of check. If they try to take that (they won't, or at least I'm hoping they're not dumb enough to do that), now our Queen can take said Bishop, causing it to be in active play, and in a safe position to boot.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 13, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, don't worry if things seem a little rigid so far. The opening is essentially the setup phase, and not much can really be done as of yet since both of the pieces in the back rows on either side aren't really in active play yet. That'll definitely change as the game goes on. Already, we're starting to have multiple valid choices to take.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Alright, let's initiate the Bishop trade. Or scare off the Bishop. Whatever works.

Pawn F2 to F3.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Actually, I agree with Fat Samurai's plan after having read it over. Making our Queen into bait would be a very tempting move, and who knows if they would see our pawn checking plays coming. I can't really see any holes in the plan either.

I change my vote from Pawn F2 to F3 to Pawn D5 x C6.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Agreed with NF3.

And in case anyone happens to be worried about that one pawn we have out, their C6 Knight isn't allowed to take it. Attempting to do so means that would mean that their King would be placed into Check thanks to our Bishop, and you aren't allowed to deliberately move into check on your turn.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

Is there a reason why they won't respond with Bf3 afterwards? Or do we not mind if that happens?

My thinking is that line will result in them having two knights out while we only have a bishop and a bunch of pawns, but I'm not sure know how bad/good that board state is.

E: oh wait, if they do that then we can do Qf3 and develop our queen, is that right?

Yep. We can't take the G4 Bishop with our Queen now, since the F6 Knight can capture our Queen if we do. But if that Bishop moves to F3, then our Queen can come out to play while capturing a piece in the process.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Also yeah, considering what pieces being moved would place the King into Check is also an important to look out for at times, since that can open up moves that previously wouldn't work. As an example, as of this moment, that C6 Knight is essentially a complete non-entity. Moving it at all would place the King in Check.

Gridlocked posted:

I'm leaning on Nf3 as that gets our knight into play and if they REALLY want to trade a Knight for a Bishop they can.

Other options:

f3 - just sticks a pawn in the way, will likely cause them to retreat their Bishop but frankly I'm not sure to what end.

h3 - threatens their Bishop giving them the choice between retreat, attacking the Queen or trading off for a pawn. This seems to be a god awful move though and really not an option.

Willing to listen to arguments either way for f3 or Nf3 but as I said, leaning on Nf3 purely for development reasons.

Yeah, I see absolutely no benefits to H3. That pawn wouldn't do anything, and we would just be giving away a Queen for free or trading her for a Bishop if we decide to use our King to get rid of it. Which would be a fantastic trade in Black's favor at this point in time, and locks us out of Castling our H1 Rook as an option.

That's also why NF3 is an appealing move. It'll open up King-side Castling to get our King to safety while getting our Rook into a far more active position.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, and using the Knight to potentially threaten the Bishop capturing our Queen is redundant, since our King is already doing that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Well, time for queenie to come out to play. QXF3.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Well, no need to worry about check for now, I guess. I'm rather uncertain as to what we can do for now. Perhaps now would be a good time to Kingside Castle? 0-0. Unless anyone has a better suggestion.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

jon joe posted:

After castle castle, I think Nc3 is a great move.

Hmm, any ideas on what Black could do after our castling to not make that a good move?

Aside from opening up an even better move for us by doing something really stupid, which I doubt they'd do.

Added Space posted:

Going against the grain and saying Nc3 to get that piece moving. Casting at this point is just ceding initiative.

I'll admit, I'm rather torn on castling now since yeah, it doesn't do too much for us aside from getting the King to safety, but the Rook still needs at least 2 moves invested in it for it to be ready for active duty.

On the other hand, I can't think of much else to do.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 20, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, I think I'll go with Pawn to C4 as our next move.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

BE3 I suppose. Rather uncertain on these moves myself.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, let's get our Rook primed. RD1.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

It looks like they might've tried to set up a bear trap with that Pawn. If we take that with our D4 Pawn, that'll leave our Rook open, and they can just take that with their Rook. What's worse is that it'll put our King in Check (though not mate since we could use our Queen to take their Rook if they do that.) End result is that we trade Rooks and our Queen is put into a bad position.

Anyways short version is, don't capture that E5 Pawn. It'll just give us a huge setback with little benefit.

Haven't decided on a move myself yet, though.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Bxc6 as well. I'm not really comfortable with D5 either.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Commence the plan. NC3!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

oath2order posted:

Well, that strikes me as a stinker of a move, frankly.

I've not played this all out yet, but provisionally voting for dxe5. We win all of those exchanges pretty well, and honestly I hunger for blood.

I think they were trying to prime their Rook? Which yeah, not sure what the heck they were going for there. If it was an intentional bait for our Queen (though to be honest, I doubt it, since it's way too obvious) it fails horribly at that.

Yeah, even if we suffer losses, I'm thinking it'll definitely be worth it on our end. Commence the bloodshed! dxe5! :black101:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

There are definitely some good moves to follow, but I think I'll settle with Nb5.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

sebzilla posted:

I can't find a particularly tidy way to tie it up from there, but their position is absolutely shattered and we can easily push their King around until we find a mate. The game is pretty much ours. And the balance of pieces is far more in our favour than the outcome of Bf4 you posted earlier (we're up a Queen to a Knight, instead of a Knight and a Pawn to a Bishop.)

e: As above

Even if the game is pretty much ours, we'd still have to be careful. Going for a stalemate is an option for Black if they want to stop us from winning.

For you newbie players, that's definitely a valid option to take in Chess if you think winning isn't possible. (Stalemate is when the other player can't make a move because all of them will put their King in Check, but the King currently isn't in Check itself. This counts as a draw.)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Well, let's see what those moves get us. Here's what Qf5+ does for us.

From what I can tell there are only 4 legal moves Black can makes in this situation.

Moves 1 and 2: Ahhhhhh, mad Queen! Run away!

They move that King out of the way.

Move 3: My castle will protect me!

They use that Rook as a shield. But all 3 of those moves can result in one thing.

We take their queen with our Knight. However, we'll most likely be losing that Knight in the process.

We won't be able to do that if they make this move, though.

Move 4: The Queenly Shield

They use their Queen to block our Queen.

At which point, we take that Queen with our Rook.(And will most likely lose it in their process.)

But yeah, I don't see a way for them to take our Queen if we make that move, and we'll be snagging their Queen no matter what with this. Haven't pursued these lines all that well, so maybe there's something I'm missing.

As for Na7+...

Well, we'll be putting that King in Check alright.

But they can just take with their Queen, and move her out of danger. At which point we'll have to give up either our Queen or Rook with pretty much nothing to gain.

Yeah, I'm struggling to see what Na7+ does for us. But maybe I haven't pursued this line of thought enough.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, if anyone has something better, or can point out a potential benefit of Na7+, I'm all ears.

Until then, let us prepare to commit regicide! Qf5+ :black101:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh, here's the Lichess link.

Also, minor discovery. There's actually a 5th legal move Black can make if we go Qf5+. It's not that big a deal, though.

Move 5: Protect me, oh valiant Knight!

They block our Queen with their Knight. Doesn't change the fact that their Queen is still royally screwed, since we can snag it with our Knight.

To be honest, I'm not sure what this move would do for them, but I just felt like pointing it out so we aren't taken by surprise if they go with this.

EDIT: And sebzilla already pointed this out. Whoops! I know how to read good. :downs:

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 9, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

oath2order posted:

Qf5+ is good. We've been trying to capture their queen without losing ours all game.

The one thing nD7 gets them is that if they don't do that we more than likely take the knight for free next turn if they don't.

Good point. Not having that Knight would be yet another blow to them. (On the other hand, moving it back could potentially restrict the King's movement.)

Should we start looking for ways to force a Checkmate now? Depending on what they do next, I feel like we have a decent advantage at this point. Or is it too soon for that?

Oh and that should be 10 votes. I think it's been a while since we've hit that. I see the majority is all for a potential act of regicide. :getin:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

That's deep into enemy territory. A brave soldier indeed. :patriot:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

So they went Qd7 after all. So do we perform the execution now, or go with a different move?

Rxd7 will snag us the Queen right away. Though come to think of it, Nxa7+ is also worth considering. There are only 3 legal moves that Black can make there, all of which involve moving the King out of the way. They can't take the Knight with their Queen, or move their Queen at all since it's currently pinned by our Queen.

So I guess the question is, do we want their Queen out of the picture now, or do we want their King in a different position?

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 10, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, that Knight is safe. They can't take it with the Queen (not right away) because moving it means their King is still in Check by our Queen. Taking it with the King is out of the question since our Bishop is covering that square. At the very least, our Knight will restrict where the King can currently move.

Let's tighten that noose a bit more. Nax7+. Then we can go with Rxd7 since that Queen is still a sitting duck.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I'm pretty sure that was the plan.

At the very least, we don't have to worry about that d8 Rook when we do that, since moving that to d1 would just give us a free Rook.

Hmm, if they go Kb8 or Kc7, we can just have our Queen take their Knight to put them in check again. Our Knight is protected by the Bishop, though. So they can't take it with the King.

However, it they go Kb7, Rxd7 must be our next move. It'll take out that Queen and put that King in Check again. We'll lose the Rook, but we were always prepared to make that sacrifice. But our Knight is still safe thanks to our, Bishop.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 12, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Cloud Potato posted:

The cabin won. Like in all the slasher movies. And that one Frasier episode.

I guess we found out who our real opponent was all along. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Off with her head! :black101:

Rxd7+

• Locked thread