Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Let's take that Knight. It's not like that Rook is currently a threat at the moment.

Qxe5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I'm all for Qe8.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Cloud Potato posted:

The worry with Qe8 is if they counter Re7, making any taking of their pieces a death sentence for our queen. It does give us the time to then play Qa4 and save our knight, but that feels like ceding the middle of the board to our opponents. Voting Nb5, although I'm not too sure where to go from there.

Also, this mucks up the new voting gubbins: before my vote we had enough votes to proceed, and now I feel like I'm holding things up by voting this way.

Don't feel too bad about this. If there are any holes in the plan, it would certainly be a good move to let us know.

Fat Samurai posted:

Phoneposting, but isn't this checkmate? Qc8+ and then Bxc5 either checkmates or sends the king down the a column, to suffer the most humiliating fate: checkmate by pawn.

Here's a diagram of what happens if they Re7 and we Qc8:

Only 2 legal moves the King can make there. Kxa7 or Kb6.

Kxa7 leads to a Checkmate for us once we go Bxc5, so they probably won't be doing that move.

If they go Kb6, this would be the move they are eventually forced to make once we go Bxc5.

So yeah, Re7 isn't a death sentence for our Queen.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

:psyduck: Did they just give us a Rook for free? There was that sword dangling over our heads with that Rook and the h8 Rook if they were able to get that Bishop out of their way, but that's gone now.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Alright, so I think the time is right to start setting up that Checkmate. So how should we be going about this? Bishop to c5 would definitely set a check, but do we want to do that yet? That will force their King to move, and our Queen is still in play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Rd7+ it is, then!

• Locked thread