Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

Assuming they take the bait we should could advance the pawns to threaten the queen. D2 to d3 and then C2 to C4 develop to board for us and force them to move their queen away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Yes, I am sold on d4 as well. We'll need to go off-book eventually, though.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

I'm sold on Bb5+ as well. Its risky, but i doubt they expect it, and unless we gently caress up there arent many ways for it to truely backfire.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Cloud Potato posted:

Voting Bb5+.

I feel the temptation won't be strong enough, and they'll counter with bxc6, making us play Ba4 (Not Bxc6+?, since Nxc6!). But we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

We have to remember that we're playing a hivemind--we have to assume they won't make any straight up errors. Which means they will be choosing that taking our queen is worth positioning their board in that way. Do we think they will do that?

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

So, what's thr correct play if they go nd7? f3?

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

I don't really mind, for what it's worth. If you have the most information, it's beneficial for us to learn what moves you feel are best.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

We went into this with this being the best case scenario. There is no reason to back off now. dxc6.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

One thing I'm stuck on, what happens if they don't take the bait and do bxc6? In that case, the board looks like this. That looks like a pretty bad fork to me.

Edit: Is there where we Be2 and exchange bishops?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

oath2order fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 15, 2017

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Things are going to get interesting soon, but for the moment: Nf3 is the move.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Qxf3

At this point, i would bet money that they go Qxd4 next turn, at which point we run roughshod on them.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

And that's ten!

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

actually, I take it back. They probably go Q+a5 and for the bishop and the king. Not sure how we get out of that without losing the bishop.

edit: oh, nc3 will fix that.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

jon joe posted:

I'm out of theory so my chess IQ has dropped at least a standard deviation. But yes, together we are some kind of swarm intelligence.

drat it, did they make that lovely move just to throw us off book?

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

This one is going to take some thought, though it does look like castling is the bet move. It's pretty easy to see us getting in a situation where we initial the bishop-knight-pawn exchange and force the king into the corner, pinned by our queen. Also once we castle it's going to be very hard to do anything on our row 1.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

in the interest of expedience, 0-0.

Though I'm still open to debate if other people have ideas.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

bman in 2288 posted:

Being contrary is interesting.

That explains your posting in a certain other thread at least. :witch:

I joke because I love

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

After playing it out a bit, I'm on team c4. This is because I'm not convinced the response we have to the natural counter to c3, nd5, is really as strong as the responses we have when they cannot safely make that move. Most likely they castle to protect thier queen, but I had trouble seeing an exchange in that situation that didn't play out in our favor.

https://lichess.org/editor/r3kb1r/pp1q1ppp/2n1pn2/1B6/3P4/5Q2/PPP2PPP/RNB2RK1_w_KQkq_-

Here is the state of the board at present, if anyone wants to fiddle.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Rd1 I think is the move here. Remember that they cant capture with the knight without losing a queen. the only qay they can really mobilize the center column is by capturing with the queen. We can prevent that.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

changing my vote to be3 which does everything I wanted from my last vote, but better. I also am not convinced about the efficacy of nc3. No matter how I play out events on the left side of the board, I don't see our bishop getting into danger, and the knight only factors into play if they fall for some fairly obvious trap, which they won't.

I also really don't see what they develop at this point that isn't terrible for them, except maybe their bishop. But even then, there's nothing for it to threaten quickly. I really struggle to see the good moves Black has at this point in the game.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

sebzilla posted:

Well, ok then. Is this the first time we've failed to reach a majority consensus in 24 hours?

Nah, c3 and c4 were simmilarly divisive.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Well, time to forfeit.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's simple, all we have to do is Flip the Chessboard!

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Current board

We have a lot of pressure put on their queen right now. If we were to move our bishop to F4, they would have exactly three legal moves to make without losing the queen (or sacrificing a pawn needlessly) and that's queen to e7 (which initiates the bishop-knight exchange we've talked about a lot) queen to a5 (which would be a very tenuous position for the queen to be in once we move our pawn to a4) or queen to b6. b6 is probably the best move they can make, but playing it out it doesn't really give them many options. However, it's better to initiate that after doing rd1 since a lot of the action will continue to center around d, and we'd want our rook in the mix there. However, moving Bf4 next round may be a good choice, depending on what they do (i'm starting to regret not doing it last move, TBH)

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Phoneposting, sorry. Just grabbing oath2order post to have a board linked.

If BF4 right now:

11. Bf4 Kxd4 and we're forced to trade queens

12. Bc7 Kxf3+ 13. gxf3 Kxf7 and we've lost our pawn advantage and our King is more exposed than theirs.

You are correct. I missed that play.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Current board

Leaning to d5 right now. I'm not really worried about blocking off our bishop on that square, since pretty much any situation in the near future where we move our bishop to c6 is a situation we do not expect that bishop to come back from alive. Much like d4 it is pretty much impossible for them to take the pawn without coming out badly. more importantly we pretty much cut them off from making any advancing plays with their knights.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

habituallyred posted:

We could kick this can down the road by going Queen to h3. In fact I think I will recommend that: Qh3. Preemptive fiddling but it gives us time to think, since we are pretty sure they will move their king to b8. Unless they move their rook to
d7? Now I don't know what to do.

I don't like d5, we need to do something about that pawn in e5. Otherwise they will move up next turn and make us fiddle around with our queen to avoid losing it to the knight or pawn.

Actually, I kinda like the idea of forcing check at this point. It limits them to a very small number of moves, none of which are really helpful. It also I think weakens thier best move if we move d5 next round, which is nd4. If we initiate the capture exchange there we end up with this board.

What do you think, everyone?

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Far be it for me to back away from a plan once commited. nC3.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Well, that strikes me as a stinker of a move, frankly.

I've not played this all out yet, but provisionally voting for dxe5. We win all of those exchanges pretty well, and honestly I hunger for blood.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Let's begin the war of d5. Cry havok and let slip the pawns of war!

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

current board

Yeah, I don't know about this one. It's not very powerful, just kind of obnoxious

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

You know what, you're drat right!

From Cloud Potato's post (but it works as long as the general structure is similar), to clarify:

Qxc6+ Qc7 (if they play Kb8 is checkmate after Rxd8)
Qa8+ Qb8
Rd8+ Kxd8

And they lose the queen.

Qxb8+

If they don't take the bait after 15. Nb5 we can Nxa7 next turn, and the only way out I see is by taking our Knight with their queen, which lets us play Qxc6+ and go into plan sebzilla.

Ok, what's the best way to get our Queen either to c6 (after they move their queen away) or a8?

EDIT: Yeah, should refresh before posting, sebzilla has already said this.

Yeah, Bf4 is absolutely the correct move. I don't know if they will take the bait or not, but the worst case scenario is that it fucks up their fork plan. Second worst case scenario is they trade the knight for the pawn. Once they capture with the queen, they have no legal moves outside of the ones presented here. It's real good.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Qf5+ is good. We've been trying to capture their queen without losing ours all game.

The one thing nD7 gets them is that if they don't do that we more than likely take the knight for free next turn if they don't.

oath2order fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 9, 2017

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

forgive me if this was already discussed, but here is an interesting path

16. Qd7
17. rxd7 rxd7
18 na7+ and the board looks as follows with black to move.

From where they need to move the king, as no other move is legal.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

nxa7+

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

https://youtu.be/FAsIx3oPY-8

Rxd7+

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

I'm sold on Qe8 mostly because I think at this stage losing that rook hurts them more than losing our knight.

also for as long as our queen is on 8 that bishop is pinned. If they move either of the two back pieces from our queen in 8 they will lose one and probably both.

oath2order fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 19, 2017

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Like, look at the board from here with Black to move. The ideal situation for us is the following.

ka6
Qc8+ Ka7
bxc5+, bxc5
Qxh8.

At that point they have a bishop and 3 pawn, with our queen basically able to capture those pawns at will. At that point they may well just forfiet. They won't even easily be able to capture a pawn from that postion.

And frankly, most of the paths you run with this work as similar variations. In any case, with our queen at 8 we essentially paralyze the remaining enemy forces.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

I believe Rxd1 is in fact our only legal move.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

I believe the correct move here is Qc8. That strongly limits the moves they can make with the king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Yeah, ok that works. changing my vote from Qc8 to Rd7+. This game is ogre.

oath2order fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 21, 2017

• Locked thread