Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
e4 is a fine opening move.

Let's be cool see what Black's response is and then decide what opening move to continue with from there.

If we play the way the book tells us we surely can't lose!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Let's do this. The best thing about chess is that because it is:

a) Very Popular and
b) Always played on the same set board, with the same set rules and movement choices

there are only so many permutations of plays available; because we started with +1 Tempo thanks to being White technically we can just follow the permutations of the board down the line selecting the highest probability to win move early on and getting more into the discussion once we start seeing how Black Team reacts.

So Pxe5 seems fine.

Ignore this I am apparently late to the party on this one.

Edit: Oh well the move I would have voted for stands. Yay.

I recommend taking a gander at the wiki page on the Scandinavian Defense, the two most popular 3.'s are listed there (Qxd5 or Nf6)

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 12, 2017

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
d4 is the way I wanted to go and jon joe is doing all the :effort: posting meaning he's agreeing with me.

Putting our faith in board states, position and probability will see us amateurs through this chaos. Or at least let us learn better play than just voting for random BS like those evil Blackians will end up doing.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
They're trying to throw us of balance with aggression.

I'm currently looking at f3 as per this:
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1766047

Bb5+ does seem really strong w/r/t taking that bishop though which may force them into a more conservative stance.

I'm trying to find (recorded) lines of play that go in the Bb5+ direction but I can't see jack.

Yeah in review I'm LOVING Bb5+ if they think we are off balance, counter with aggression

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 14, 2017

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Dammit the website I was using has a paywall :(

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

jon joe posted:

I'll be the first to admit I'm at fault for the current state of affairs; the way I've worded my suggestions has probably shut down discussion immensely compared to if I wasn't in the game at all. That's totally my fault, but I don't want that to actually be the case. Let alone that we probably wouldn't win if we just listened to me all the time, I think it makes the game less fun and less of a learning experience for you all. I'll need to remember my audience going forward and phrase things less absolutely; I feel like this is also somewhat the problem with the game of choice, as chess really does have best moves, with extremely detailed writings on openings (which, we're still in the opening). However, even with all my references, I will likely not know a lot pretty soon here.

I have a number of things I can do, just let me know what would work best:

1. Offer no move suggestions of my own, but involve myself in the discussion of moves.
2. Never refer to a video, article, or book for the rest of the game
3. Just straight up leave the game

Or whatever else you think would make this game more fun for you all. My problem is I just get really competitive and want to win these types of things, so that's the mindset I went in with, and while I noticed it could have been a problem pretty early I really didn't dial it back anywhere near enough, I think.

Keep doing what you're doing. I'm reading and looking for the exact same sources as you; you just seem to be finding them more often and doing more :effort: posting (which I appreciate as it makes it easier to find info)

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I'm leaning on Nf3 as that gets our knight into play and if they REALLY want to trade a Knight for a Bishop they can.

Other options:

f3 - just sticks a pawn in the way, will likely cause them to retreat their Bishop but frankly I'm not sure to what end.

h3 - threatens their Bishop giving them the choice between retreat, attacking the Queen or trading off for a pawn. This seems to be a god awful move though and really not an option.

Willing to listen to arguments either way for f3 or Nf3 but as I said, leaning on Nf3 purely for development reasons.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
What are their moves off Nf3 VS f3 then?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Thanks for the post Samurai, will have to read it after work.

Edit: Actually what about Ne2? Our kings-knight can move there as well as f3. It blocks the same as Nf3 and gives us a Knight covering the pawn in the center similar to the scenario you've posed Samurai regarding f3 but with the added layer of protection.

Ne2 -> they can't move their knight on c6 because of the pin; they do SOMETHING maybe retreat the bishop but if they don't we can f3 (or h3 but I still hate h3 because it removes cover from that castle) to threaten it forcing them to react MINUS the issues you've discussed regarding our d4 pawn because it's now protected by out knight

Thoughts?

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 16, 2017

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

jon joe posted:

I believe Knight to f3 to be a better position for our knight. There's no particular reason we want to move up our f pawn; this is actually a weaker position for our king-side pawn structure than h3 (h3 being the preferred move, in fact, to kick off the bishop eventually)

That said, Nf3

We're past the threshold at this point so I may as well seal the deal with

Nf3

Though I still wonder about the Ne2 into f3 line for removing the bishop and protecting our center pawn.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Fat Samurai posted:

You do get bragging rights if Nf3 ends up being a mistake, so that is a plus.

Yeee

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Just home from football so brain kinda dead atm; I don't have any sims of this current scenario (drat you paywall :argh:)

Observations though for the smarter guys to work out:

1) They can't Nxd4 because of the pin into check.

2) They COULD retreat the Bishop from g4 as jon joe suggested, which is good because he appears to have a plan for that. However presently the Bishop isn't actually threatened.

3) They COULD simply Qxd4 where in we can consider trading our Queen and a Pawn for their Queen and either a Bishop or a Knight. I know most people shy away from trading queens early but points wise we DO come out ahead in that trade and we're even on loss of Q power.

3.1) Edit: Actually they can't capture with the knight if we do this.... 6.Nf3 Qxd4 7.Qxd4 :D

4) They could do something weird like Qa5 and check our king but I'm 99% we can castle out of that to give our Rook some field time and also offer the value trade of Rook for Queen.

5) They could also do b6 or something and threaten our Bishop that way but we have a reasonable out to that as well with our unmoved knight.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 17, 2017

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

jon joe posted:

Also, I do believe sims fall under the purview of "chess engines", which are verboten.

Whelp RIP looking up example games.

Also: Great post jon joe but what if they end up Qxd4 like the over aggressive madmen they are?

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 18, 2017

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I'm leaning fx3 with the pawn on g2 honestly.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Fat Samurai posted:

That puts our king right on the frontline after a castle, thoguh. :ohdear:

That is a VERY valid point. I am primarily concerned about letting their Queen take control of the center but I will happily bow to the wisdom of getting ours into combat.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

jon joe posted:

In other news, today we mourn the loss of one's Smerdon's Scandinavian as a tool in our conquering of the chess board. RIP; has no advice for Black making a bad move.

Ahahah

Ok then lets get this Qxf3 going.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
This is very dependant on blacks move but:

From this CURRENT position we can trade the bishop into the knight, lose it to the pawn on b7 and then remove the pawn with the queen to put their king back into check and see if we can keep them on the reactive side?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Is castling right now a loss of tempo?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Ok soo the question is does black do the same, if yes we can check with bf4!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I really don't know from here.

what do people think of kc3? Just floating it.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Jeeze I don't post for a few days and now I'm confused as hell on this board.

• Locked thread