Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

The opening move always confused me, I get kinda overwhelmed with choice paralysis, which isn't helped by the fact that I barely know how to play this game so I guess I'll just go along with what everyone else wants for now until a more obvious move comes up. e4 is good with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

A thought occurs to me, if this is such a standard opening then surely someone on their team knows how to counter it, right? Why not do something completely off the wall and unexpected to throw them off a whole bunch and get them confused about what our strategy might be, then take advantage while they scramble to figure out what the hell we're doing?

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

All of this is fair, I'm just extremely new to this and don't really know the "standard" strategies so I'm all over the place trying to be useful and saying silly things and getting ahead of myself :ohdear:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

So if I'm reading this right, the choices are basically between playing it safe to strengthen our defence a little bit, or doing something risky but that would possibly force them into bringing one of their important pieces out of hiding and thus creating an opening for us?

I just want to be sure before I think about this some more, I'm having a lot more trouble understanding the chess notation than I really should be

• Locked thread