Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Kb7. Our only option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6 13.Nc3 h5 14.dxe5 Ng4 15.Nb5 Nxe5 16.Qf5+ Qd7 17.Nxa7+ Kb7

White has 24 hours to decide on a move.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I got super excited and misread the board, thinking Kb7 was that white knight. This is the last possible major mistake the enemy can make, and our last bastion for victory. Otherwise, the board state devolves to chaos and we may be able to sneak a move in, but we lack great offensive material.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6 13.Nc3 h5 14.dxe5 Ng4 15.Nb5 Nxe5 16.Qf5+ Qd7 17.Nxa7+ Kb7 18.Rxd7+

Your king is in check!

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
So, Nxd7 or Rxd7? I'm leaning on the knight. What are the likely outcomes?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I swore it before, but now it has come to pass. I vote for resignation. It's been a good run, but I'd like to seek vindication from the spectator gallery wrt Bxf3 and the Queenside castle. Our victory has been denied almost guaranteed, and it's poor sport to drag on a lost position.

Alternatively, I vote Nxd7 This is because it moves the knight into a protected position, whereas Rxd7 keeps our knight hanging, easily taken by the Queen.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh will you shut up already, jesus. Either play to the end or stop being over dramatic every 5 seconds.

I think we should move the Knight back, we could use some King protection more now than ever, but I'm tempted to go either way.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I swore it before, but now it has come to pass. I vote for resignation.

Whilst it is not up to me, I am willing to accept your resignation from this thread if you really want to go and read the spectator thread that much. However, as was pointed out earlier, we have the honour, privilege and duty to put on a good show for said spectators, which utterly precludes throwing in the towel.

So, putting a marker down for Nxd7. Changed to Rxd7

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 16, 2017

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

AJ_Impy posted:

Whilst it is not up to me, I am willing to accept your resignation from this thread if you really want to go and read the spectator thread that much. However, as was pointed out earlier, we have the honour, privilege and duty to put on a good show for said spectators, which utterly precludes throwing in the towel.

So, putting a marker down for Nxd7.

Yup.

Basically, this was the only smart move for white to make, and seeing as white has made very few if any mistakes so far, it was entirely what I expected.

We're out of options, but we might as well fight for it. I'm torn between moving the rook and the knight. If we get a chance to move that bishop and stack rooks, we could still eke out a win. It sacrifices a knight for tempo, but honestly I don't know what more that knight can do for us anyway.

I think it's all rooks from here on in. We have to retain our clean shot through d corridor to accomplish anything.

Rxd7

Get off the dark tile. Be a threat. Keep them from moving the rook up to d.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I maintain that it is BM to prolong a lost battle, especially when starting a new game is on the table. I'll continue to support the team with my contributions until this is done.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
You know what a great Star Trek ship was? The NX class.

(In other words, my vote's Nxd7.)

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I agree with Nxd7. Mostly because with Rxd7 the queen picks off the knight for free.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
Yeah, Nxd7 sounds good to me. I was torn between the 2 moves, but with that bit from Davin, I am convinced with moving the knight instead of the rook.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Nxd7

Rxd7

CirclMastr fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 16, 2017

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Yeah, Nxd7, save the rook. What's our counter to Rd1, since moving the knight means we no longer control the D?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

oldskool posted:

Yeah, Nxd7, save the rook. What's our counter to Rd1, since moving the knight means we no longer control the D?

One option is pawn to g6, which tries to push the queen away. Another is Bc5, threatening the white knight.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

oldskool posted:

You don't have one, which really means you'll have to hope to make some vital threat with a knight reveal from d7, possibly against the queen. Honestly, I'd expect the queen to just go hog wild on our left side if the knight is moved.

I'm going to stick to my guns on the rook move, but obviously majority decides.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Davin Valkri posted:

One option is pawn to g6, which tries to push the queen away. Another is Bc5, threatening the white knight.

Not really. Nxd7, Rd1, g6, Rxd7+, Rxd7, Qxd7+ and then mate in a few moves. Substitute Bc5 if you want.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I'm with fish on this one. Rxd7.

DM Zero
Dec 8, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Rxd7 is the superior move here. Capturing with the Knight leads to a likely pin of the knight and rendering the d8 Rook useless with a Rxd1 response from them and we have no good immediate way to resolve that, and they will continue to choke us out. It's better to lose the Knight here than to both lose the ability to not only move the Knight, without then losing the Rook for free to their own Rook. If we go Rxd7 and they take the Knight (likely), it's still bleak but we aren't 100% choked out.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

DM Zero posted:

Rxd7 is the superior move here. Capturing with the Knight leads to a likely pin of the knight and rendering the d8 Rook useless with a Rxd1 response from them and we have no good immediate way to resolve that, and they will continue to choke us out. It's better to lose the Knight here than to both lose the ability to not only move the Knight, without then losing the Rook for free to their own Rook. If we go Rxd7 and they take the Knight (likely), it's still bleak but we aren't 100% choked out.

That is sensible methodology. I'll throw out a more esoteric move, Bishop D6. We open up our other rook to defend D8, guard the knight and invite a trade of rook for bishop.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

We're in check, so we either move the Rook or the Knight.

I'll go Rxd7

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

We're in check, so we either move the Rook or the Knight.

I'll go Rxd7

Yeah, course. I meant for the next turn, regardless of how we play this. I'm still leaning closer towards the Knight move, but the enemy has asked us a really good question here.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
All right, I accept the logic, switching to the Rook.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Nice piece of fish posted:

Not really. Nxd7, Rd1, g6, Rxd7+, Rxd7, Qxd7+ and then mate in a few moves. Substitute Bc5 if you want.

I say substitute g6 for Bd6 here, for clarity. It prevents Rxd7, allowing us to move our knight away plus defnding D1

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm fine with Rxd7

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nxd7

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6 13.Nc3 h5 14.dxe5 Ng4 15.Nb5 Nxe5 16.Qf5+ Qd7 17.Nxa7+ Kb7 18.Rxd7+ Rxd7

:siren: Rules update! In order to speed things up as we are nearing the end of the game, I will now be calling the votes at 5 votes if there are no votes for different moves, or 7 votes if other options are being voted for. For reference, any moves which have received 7 votes have ended up winning and there has only been a few cases were a non-winning move has received more than 5 votes, so this shouldn't change anything in practice except making the game move faster. :siren:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Covski posted:

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6 13.Nc3 h5 14.dxe5 Ng4 15.Nb5 Nxe5 16.Qf5+ Qd7 17.Nxa7+ Kb7 18.Rxd7+ Rxd7

:siren: Rules update! In order to speed things up as we are nearing the end of the game, I will now be calling the votes at 5 votes if there are no votes for different moves, or 7 votes if other options are being voted for. For reference, any moves which have received 7 votes have ended up winning and there has only been a few cases were a non-winning move has received more than 5 votes, so this shouldn't change anything in practice except making the game move faster. :siren:

Now, let's say white goes and takes our knight with the queen. I think Bc5 then becomes our strongest play. It blocks the movement for the queen, meaning either they take with their bishop, blocking themselves in, or they take it with the queen. Either way, we delay the check. We then stack towers. If they don't check us or pin a threat on the king, which they really can't without sacrificing their queen, we win.

Queen as it stands can't go very many places right now without sacrificing a critical advantage. They have to check us and they have to stop our towers, and they have to do that NOW.

Rxd7 was probably the right move here.

The response to our tower stack will have to be Qxc6+. It's the only thing that makes sense, because they will need that fifth row and it's covered by the knight. Which means we move out of check and probably have to cover with the tower. Which forces an exchange maybe? They might sac the queen. Maybe. We'll see if we get there.

White really only needs to gently caress up once to lose now. Unfortunately, I don't have high hopes that they will.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Now, let's say white goes and takes our knight with the queen. I think Bc5 then becomes our strongest play. It blocks the movement for the queen, meaning either they take with their bishop, blocking themselves in, or they take it with the queen. Either way, we delay the check. We then stack towers. If they don't check us or pin a threat on the king, which they really can't without sacrificing their queen, we win.

Queen as it stands can't go very many places right now without sacrificing a critical advantage. They have to check us and they have to stop our towers, and they have to do that NOW.

Rxd7 was probably the right move here.

The response to our tower stack will have to be Qxc6+. It's the only thing that makes sense, because they will need that fifth row and it's covered by the knight. Which means we move out of check and probably have to cover with the tower. Which forces an exchange maybe? They might sac the queen. Maybe. We'll see if we get there.

White really only needs to gently caress up once to lose now. Unfortunately, I don't have high hopes that they will.

I 100% agree with you, but I'd rather go Bd6 every time. It forces an action from the Queen, any of which would put her in a bad position. Bet they could do is drop the queen on C2, whereby we stack towers and effectively pin their queen and rook, lest the opposition wants to lose. Nxc6 can then be countered by the Kxc6 and we follow that up with Pawn F6 to protect D1 from Bishop G5.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

I 100% agree with you, but I'd rather go Bd6 every time. It forces an action from the Queen, any of which would put her in a bad position. Bet they could do is drop the queen on C2, whereby we stack towers and effectively pin their queen and rook, lest the opposition wants to lose. Nxc6 can then be countered by the Kxc6 and we follow that up with Pawn F6 to protect D1 from Bishop G5.

Yeah, I see. But the thing is, anything we do to block our threat down d corridor is going to let them get the rook into play. If we maintain that rook threat, the moment they can't take our rook on d1 or has it pinned in the first place or block is the same moment we win the game. Once we don't have any credible threat against white king, we are done.

We have to keep that line clear. And we have to stack towers to maintain our threat.

I'm kind of thinking that we're gonna lose c6 pawn regardless. Maybe we should move it up and block e3 bishop? Trade it for theirs instead? We'd still be able to stack towers, and we'd maybe force white to protect the knight with the queen.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Yeah, I see. But the thing is, anything we do to block our threat down d corridor is going to let them get the rook into play. If we maintain that rook threat, the moment they can't take our rook on d1 or has it pinned in the first place or block is the same moment we win the game. Once we don't have any credible threat against white king, we are done.

We have to keep that line clear. And we have to stack towers to maintain our threat.

I'm kind of thinking that we're gonna lose c6 pawn regardless. Maybe we should move it up and block e3 bishop? Trade it for theirs instead? We'd still be able to stack towers, and we'd maybe force white to protect the knight with the queen.

I doubt they'll have the time to get their rook into play. Do you have a few minutes free? We could try the positions on lichess, both of us trying Bd6 and Bc5 to see what the better line is.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

I doubt they'll have the time to get their rook into play. Do you have a few minutes free? We could try the positions on lichess, both of us trying Bd6 and Bc5 to see what the better line is.

Unfortunately no, I'm at work procrastinationposting. I need to start doing someting. Feel free to post what you think is a likely continuance of that line though, algebraic notation will probably be fine for most of the thread.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Unfortunately no, I'm at work procrastinationposting. I need to start doing someting. Feel free to post what you think is a likely continuance of that line though, algebraic notation will probably be fine for most of the thread.

Ah, fair enough. Here's the current board position as a FEN by the way, you can paste this into Lichess' board editor. If anyone else is around, please post and we'll get the game on to see. I'm terrible at visualising lines, so I doubt my lines will be of much service. I still think D6 is stronger by my gut, but proving it will be hard.

5b1r/Nk1r1pp1/2p5/4nQ1p/2P5/4B3/PP3PPP/R5K1 w KQkq -

Lines assume QxE5 and BD6:

White has the following real options in my eyes: QxD6, Qd4 or Qc3. I'd advocate Qd4 as it looks like an easy way to secure mate.

Qd4

They hit Knight to B5, they open a potential mate. Bc5 to block, Qxc5 and now the D file is open. Ra8 to stop the mate, and then the enemy is stuck for something to do. If it isn't Pawn A3, we win via RxA2 either forcing the enemy rook to stop defending the back line, or letting us go RxB2 and then attacking potentially attacking the knight and the queen.

Qc3

This boardstate presumes we Rd8, followed by Qc2. This makes our new mission to dislodge D1. This is solved via Be5. The enemy has no method of stopping an attack from that angle, as it will dislodge their defence of D1. They also have no means of making check from this position. Their best play would be Bg5, but we can block that with Pawn F6. Be5 can go on to BxB2, which will force a reaction out of their backline again. I presume Rb1 as their solution, and then I'm stuck for answers. I can't imagine how the game will go from there. That's for better players than me. It's a somewhat deadlocked position, but deadlocked is better than pressured to me. We'd be able to pick off their knight or their bishop, and perhaps a very slow offensive involving our king pushing the C file pawn would be feasible, I don't know.

QxD6

My favourite position to work with. This position presumes we RxD6 to kill their queen. I anticipate BF4, which we follow up with RD3. They'll have no pieces to stop that move, it's a light square so it's safe from the bishop, pawns cannot take backwards, and the knight would need serious finangling to get there. This allows us a safe Rd8 stack and certain victory. Rd1+, Rxd1, Rxd1 mate.

I'm happy to have any of these lines challenged, I really think we're onto a winner with D6. Of course, I'm also happy to have alternative lines put forward. Qd4 however is what I most likely think the enemy will do to ascertain a potential mate, they likely will not expect our foresight in this regard.

E: Oh, and here is what FEN means. Fairly interesting system!

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 17, 2017

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6 13.Nc3 h5 14.dxe5 Ng4 15.Nb5 Nxe5 16.Qf5+ Qd7 17.Nxa7+ Kb7 18.Rxd7+ Rxd7 19.Qxe5

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.

Remember, under the new rules the vote will be called when a move has 7 votes, 5 if there are no dissenting votes.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I think we already decided on Bd6.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I agree, Bd6.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Nice piece of fish suggested Bc5: I'll hear their reasoning before committing.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I'm tempted to offer Bb4 just to see if they'd waste a turn chasing it with pawns & give us the opening we need to rookstack but the way they've been playing making a move based on hoping they blunder is a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AJ_Impy posted:

Nice piece of fish suggested Bc5: I'll hear their reasoning before committing.

I don't think so. The bishop can be taken by two different pieces and none of our pieces are in a position to capture in retaliation. We'd risk losing the piece for nothing.

• Locked thread