Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Rc7 is not an option. Re7 is really the only option and we should be focusing our efforts on what we do later down that line, milking this time for all its worth. I suggest 4 people throw in votes for Re7 and nobody vote for anything else in order to ensure we get the maximum planning time.

Right now, we're playing against the clock as well as the enemy. We need to use the best move we have in the scenario, and I think we've ascertained that Re7 is that, we just need to know what the best move to follow that with is, and the move after that, and the move after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Rc7 is not an option. Re7 is really the only option and we should be focusing our efforts on what we do later down that line, milking this time for all its worth. I suggest 4 people throw in votes for Re7 and nobody vote for anything else in order to ensure we get the maximum planning time.

Right now, we're playing against the clock as well as the enemy. We need to use the best move we have in the scenario, and I think we've ascertained that Re7 is that, we just need to know what the best move to follow that with is, and the move after that, and the move after that.

Yeah. Problem is, I think I can see where Re7 would go.

They go Qc8+, and we have two options:

Kxa7, followed by white's Bxc5+ and mate.

Kb6, followed by white's Bxc5+, which leaves us only one option, Ka4, and then I don't think there's any recovery from that.

I don't think it'll be a winning line. I think we're forced to go Rc7.

Rc7, they don't check with Qc6 or Qc8 because then they lose the queen. The queen doesn't attack the bishop, because then they lose the queen. The queen doesn't take f7 pawn, because then they lose the queen. The queen moves nowhere on row 8 (maybe d8 and then rook to support?). The queen doesn't check on Qe4+, because then we just take the knight.

They'd then probably bring out the rook, wherein we take the knight. Then from there... Well, at least there's room for white to screw up, but this late game a mistake like c5 probably ended us. I look forward to my summary execution in the follower's thread.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yeah. Problem is, I think I can see where Re7 would go.

They go Qc8+, and we have two options:

Kxa7, followed by white's Bxc5+ and mate.

Kb6, followed by white's Bxc5+, which leaves us only one option, Ka4, and then I don't think there's any recovery from that.

I don't think it'll be a winning line. I think we're forced to go Rc7.

Rc7, they don't check with Qc6 or Qc8 because then they lose the queen. The queen doesn't attack the bishop, because then they lose the queen. The queen doesn't take f7 pawn, because then they lose the queen. The queen moves nowhere on row 8 (maybe d8 and then rook to support?). The queen doesn't check on Qe4+, because then we just take the knight.

They'd then probably bring out the rook, wherein we take the knight. Then from there... Well, at least there's room for white to screw up, but this late game a mistake like c5 probably ended us. I look forward to my summary execution in the follower's thread.

Ah gently caress, you're right. Bxc5 is such a pain. I really don't want to do Rc7, I really really don't. It's just such a "life support" move and if we're doing life support moves, we may as well resign.

E: Board on this page.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ah gently caress, you're right. Bxc5 is such a pain. I really don't want to do Rc7, I really really don't. It's just such a "life support" move and if we're doing life support moves, we may as well resign.

E: Board on this page.

I know. It sucks all over. But I don't see us really having any other options.

Let's go with changed vote, and see how it goes. If it becomes untenable, we'll just resign then. We'll know in a few moves if resistance is futile.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 19, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Rc7 leads to Bf4 as a natural response, the rook just up and dies. That bishop is too much of a problem. Goddamn it Re7 looked like so much of an out, but it's inability to sell to Capcom's expectations and their massively slow DLC release schedule after a cliffhanger ending has soured the fans now even if they were elated when it first came out. I think we already know the ship has sunk.

Vote changed to Resign.

But, if 20. Rc7 21. Bf4 Pawn G6 22. Bxc7 Kxc7 23. Qc8+ Kd6 24. Rd1+ Ke7 25.Qd7+ Rf6 26. and the King is defended from a d6 attack by the bishop. The game will be lovely, drawn out, protracted and unentertaining but we won't lose for a good while by following this line.

E: They can attack the rook with Nb5 as well actually, looking at the board. If 21. Nb5 Pawn G6 22. Nbc7 Kxc7 23. Bf4 and then we're forced back.

Also, in the initial line, 23. Nb5+ and we're forced back. I guess we forgot to pay our health insurance.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 19, 2017

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Rc7 leads to Bf4 as a natural response, the rook just up and dies. That bishop is too much of a problem. Goddamn it Re7 looked like so much of an out, but it's inability to sell to Capcom's expectations and their massively slow DLC release schedule after a cliffhanger ending has soured the fans now even if they were elated when it first came out. I think we already know the ship has sunk.

Vote changed to Resign.

But, if 20. Rc7 21. Bf4 Pawn G6 22. Bxc7 Kxc7 23. Qc8+ Kd6 24. Rd1+ Ke7 25.Qd7+ Rf6 26. and the King is defended from a d6 attack by the bishop. The game will be lovely, drawn out, protracted and unentertaining but we won't lose for a good while by following this line.

E: They can attack the rook with Nb5 as well actually, looking at the board. If 21. Nb5 Pawn G6 22. Nbc7 Kxc7 23. Bf4 and then we're forced back.

Also, in the initial line, 23. Nb5+ and we're forced back. I guess we forgot to pay our health insurance.

Yeah. I see your point. Alright, in the interest of not doing boring poo poo, how about we check their king as a final gently caress you before we resign?

Let's let the rest of the thread have a say first though, maybe someone can spot something brilliant we've missed.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yeah. I see your point. Alright, in the interest of not doing boring poo poo, how about we check their king as a final gently caress you before we resign?

Let's let the rest of the thread have a say first though, maybe someone can spot something brilliant we've missed.

You know, I sure don't mind a Hail Mary finale from us. It'd extend the game 24 hours, but I'm fine with that.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I'm fine with not just a hail mary, but just going a bit hogwild to wrap things up. Put their king in check. Capture the knight.

Then again, if there's plans for another game after this, maybe resigning would be good so that can get rolling. Covski, are you planning on starting another game after this?

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

idhrendur posted:

I'm fine with not just a hail mary, but just going a bit hogwild to wrap things up. Put their king in check. Capture the knight.

Then again, if there's plans for another game after this, maybe resigning would be good so that can get rolling. Covski, are you planning on starting another game after this?

There will be at least two more LP games after this: One game for complete chess newbies which, will commence almost immediately after this one; and one game unlimited by skill level which will give a bit of respite for you guys if you want to join for another round.

That said, don't feel any rush to finish the game for the sake of the spectators!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Covski posted:

There will be at least two more LP games after this: One game for complete chess newbies which, will commence almost immediately after this one; and one game unlimited by skill level which will give a bit of respite for you guys if you want to join for another round.

That said, don't feel any rush to finish the game for the sake of the spectators!

Cool. Yeah alright. Let's go Rd1+ and show white how close they came to losing before we scuttle the ship.

Rd1+

It's been an honor, gentlemen. I'm sorry I failed you when it counted.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Rd1+

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Ramming speed!

Rd1+!

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Rd1+ and we at least die with our hands around White's throat!

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Have to agree, Rd1+.

If we're losing, might as well lose with style.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I love rooks, they're wonderfully unsubtle.

Rd1+

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Rd1+. Let's go.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6 13.Nc3 h5 14.dxe5 Ng4 15.Nb5 Nxe5 16.Qf5+ Qd7 17.Nxa7+ Kb7 18.Rxd7+ Rxd7 19.Qxe5 c5 20.Qe8 Rd1+

White has 24 hours to decide on a move.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6 13.Nc3 h5 14.dxe5 Ng4 15.Nb5 Nxe5 16.Qf5+ Qd7 17.Nxa7+ Kb7 18.Rxd7+ Rxd7 19.Qxe5 c5 20.Qe8 Rd1+ 21.Rxd1

You have 24 hours to decide on a move,

Covski fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 20, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

That uh. Was 13 minutes.

Kinda expected them to take longer. Let's do one more middle finger move since that one resolved so quickly, Kxa7.

Vote changed to retire.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 20, 2017

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
The hell was that? Never mind, let's not waste any more extra time, Covski's got a game to start up and I'm dying to read the other threads.

Abandon ship

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Since there was only one legal move for white to make, I sped up the process a bit :)

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Kxa7

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I agree with Kxa7. May as well play it through.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Covski posted:

Since there was only one legal move for white to make, I sped up the process a bit :)

Oh, if it was you then they don't have 5 people up and active. Vote changed to retire.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Kxa7, let's take some stuff down with us.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Kxa7 just to spite 'em. Then we concede.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Kxa7

No concession. Never!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6 13.Nc3 h5 14.dxe5 Ng4 15.Nb5 Nxe5 16.Qf5+ Qd7 17.Nxa7+ Kb7 18.Rxd7+ Rxd7 19.Qxe5 c5 20.Qe8 Rd1+ 21.Rxd1 Kxa7

White has 24 hours to decide on a move.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

So, since this is ending next turn, I've started to write a retrospective from my point of view. It will be open, honest, and taking any questions and input. Overall, I think it's been a good game, but it has cemented my issues that I've held for a while with Goon vs Goon threads, especially over a concentrated period of time.

Many thanks Covski for running this. With permission, I'd like to drop out now to be able to read the other two threads. Hopefully I'll confirm my suspicions there.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Before you go, Herp, I ran those four moves you requested a few pages ago.
19. ...Bd6 was the best move, giving White +.72 points in their favor.
...c5, our move, gave White +4.83 points.
...f6 gave White mate in 15.
...Bc5 gave White mate in 10.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6 13.Nc3 h5 14.dxe5 Ng4 15.Nb5 Nxe5 16.Qf5+ Qd7 17.Nxa7+ Kb7 18.Rxd7+ Rxd7 19.Qxe5 c5 20.Qe8 Rd1+ 21.Rxd1 Kxa7 22.Rd7+

Your king is in check!

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Covski posted:

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6 13.Nc3 h5 14.dxe5 Ng4 15.Nb5 Nxe5 16.Qf5+ Qd7 17.Nxa7+ Kb7 18.Rxd7+ Rxd7 19.Qxe5 c5 20.Qe8 Rd1+ 21.Rxd1 Kxa7 22.Rd7+

Your king is in check!

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.

Alright, it's been fun.

GG

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Concede. It was fun while it lasted!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Yeah, the King is dead. Shah Mat. We extend the hand.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

That was fun, I'm looking forward to all the crazy analysis that'll go right over my head. I dunno how some people plot out all these moves like it's the Matrix, but it's fun as hell to read.

Also I'm just glad this ended with a clear winner unlike the RPS one. GG baby

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
Th-tha-th-th-tha-that's all, folks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Black resigns!

Final position:

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6 13.Nc3 h5 14.dxe5 Ng4 15.Nb5 Nxe5 16.Qf5+ Qd7 17.Nxa7+ Kb7 18.Rxd7+ Rxd7 19.Qxe5 c5 20.Qe8 Rd1+ 21.Rxd1 Kxa7 22.Rd7+ 1-0

Well played! Please join us back in the main thread! :)

• Locked thread