Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Covski posted:

I apparently glossed over this before, but please don't do this :) I feel that this is a bit of a grey area, but I'd rather err on the side of caution with involving computers here for the sake of fairness.

Fair enough. I'll stipulate that it was lichess' AI on a difficulty of 5/8, but it is still a machine and they handle play selection strangely. It'd be great if we could get together in the thread and play out the position amongst ourselves!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6 13.Nc3 h5 14.dxe5 Ng4 15.Nb5 Nxe5 16.Qf5+

Your king is in check!

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Covski posted:

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6 13.Nc3 h5 14.dxe5 Ng4 15.Nb5 Nxe5 16.Qf5+

Your king is in check!

Figures. Two things: We don't move the queen, we lose her regardless.

We move the queen, we have to move Qd7.

If they don't Rxd7 or Nxa7, we win.

If they do, we are in a whole heap of trouble.

I assume they'll go Nxa7, which actually does leave us a slight option for a win.

Either way, I want to give them a last few opportunities to make a mistake.

Qd7

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Yup, that's pretty much it. Qd7

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Yup, this is our last hurrah. Qd7.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yup, this is our last hurrah. Qd7.

It is, and in that spirit I'd like to extend an olive branch: I've found your posts in this thread highly entertaining and engaging. While I won't speak for the content, I do appreciate the fact that you contributed in an entertaining way - and isn't that the whole point of an LP? I also want to apologize for being such a competitive rear end in a top hat.

It's been an honor, gentlemen.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Qd7

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Nice piece of fish posted:

It is, and in that spirit I'd like to extend an olive branch: I've found your posts in this thread highly entertaining and engaging. While I won't speak for the content, I do appreciate the fact that you contributed in an entertaining way - and isn't that the whole point of an LP? I also want to apologize for being such a competitive rear end in a top hat.

It's been an honor, gentlemen.

If we cannot win throuh unity, we may at least die in it. :patriot:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Qd7

We're seeing this to the end. Even if we lose, we did so on Black, so it's not a big deal anyway.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Qd7 it is.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Well, gently caress. I guess they weren't willing to trade after all.

Qd7.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
Qd7

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Qd7

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Qd7

Queen exchange ahoy.

DM Zero
Dec 8, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Qd7 is the best of the poor options we have. Kb7 is the only other alternative, which wins their Knight for our Queen shortly thereafter (a worse trade). We're assuredly going to lose our Knight and Queen here.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Qd7. If they try to take the queen blocking the King, it'll put her right next to the king ripe for him to take her out himself.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6 13.Nc3 h5 14.dxe5 Ng4 15.Nb5 Nxe5 16.Qf5+ Qd7

White has 24 hours to decide on a move.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6 13.Nc3 h5 14.dxe5 Ng4 15.Nb5 Nxe5 16.Qf5+ Qd7 17.Nxa7+

I'm going to be going away to a cabin with doubtful internet access over the weekend, so next update will most likely be on Sunday evening at the earliest.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Kb7, stay off the dark squares to avoid that pesky bishop & makes sure there's nowhere they can move that knight that the king can't capture.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Kb7. If they do anything but take the Queen, we win if we initiate an attack on the D file. Otherwise, we lose. I will be campaigning for a surrender if the Queen is lost prematurely.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 11, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

What would be the negative consequences of taking the white queen?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

What would be the negative consequences of taking the white queen?

We don't go on the game winning attack. If the D file wasn't exposed, it would be our best move and we'd be able to race ahead on material.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Am I missing something here? What's stopping us from using the knight to take the queen if it takes our queen?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Paul.Power posted:

Am I missing something here? What's stopping us from using the knight to take the queen if it takes our queen?

This makes the D file attack impossible as we need two pieces to execute it.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Kb7

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Let's do Kb7 and do what every crappy horror movie taught us over the last 30 years: STAY AWAY FROM THE DARK (squares)

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Kb7

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Changing my vote to Kb7.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 11, 2017

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm going to advocate aggression and say Qxf5. I want that enemy queen off the field, even if it means we lose a rook.

We're in check mate. That move's illegal.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
Kb7 does seem like the only really viable move here, yeah.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Knew it. Alright, fine. Kb7 although I would have liked to preserve an avenue of retreat left, bit I guess that's mostly academic at this point. Let's hope white makes the fatal mistake of falling for that knight.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Oh right yeah, I should probably vote too.

Kb7

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dr. Snark posted:

We're in check mate. That move's illegal.

Are we? He didn't say we're in check. From what I understand of the rules, taking the king is an illegal move under our current rule set (you can only endanger him) so the knight can't actually do anything.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

chitoryu12 posted:

Are we? He didn't say we're in check. From what I understand of the rules, taking the king is an illegal move under our current rule set (you can only endanger him) so the knight can't actually do anything.

The knight on A7 is the checking piece. Also you HAVE to break the check if you're in check. Kb7 is more or less our only option...and also not great. Oh well.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Davin Valkri posted:

The knight on A7 is the checking piece. Also you HAVE to break the check if you're in check. Kb7 is more or less our only option...and also not great. Oh well.

Can we get Covski to weigh in on whether or not we're actually in check since he didn't say we are?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

The plus on Nxa7+ means check. You lose if the king is taken, hence why check forces you to cover the king (impossible against knights), kill the piece (we cannot do that right now) or move the king.

If we were not under check, why would we make the move you suggest? We could literally win the game by Qxd1+ - Rxd1 - Rxd1 mate. That wins us the game since the Queen cannot move back to defend. Qxf5 would be the best move if the alternative wasn't literal victory.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The plus on Nxa7+ means check. You lose if the king is taken, hence why check forces you to cover the king (impossible against knights), kill the piece (we cannot do that right now) or move the king.

If we were not under check, why would we make the move you suggest? We could literally win the game by Qxd1+ - Rxd1 - Rxd1 mate. That wins us the game since the Queen cannot move back to defend. Qxf5 would be the best move if the alternative wasn't literal victory.

I just wanted to be absolutely sure because he was being consistent about putting it in words, and he left it out this time.

I also know practically nothing about chess notation.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

I just wanted to be absolutely sure because he was being consistent about putting it in words, and he left it out this time.

I also know practically nothing about chess notation.

I only just figured out the plus meant check, but it's still obvious since the knight is in position to take the king. I think it was left out because we were in check last turn too, so we havent left check.

E: I can't believe your logic was 'the king can't be taken' though, that's only the case because Check exists and Checkmate is because the opposing player wins if they can take the king. I've proved that I'm terrible at chess, but that takes the cake.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 11, 2017

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Kb7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

You guys are totally in check, I just forgot to type it out in my hurry to leave :shobon: (the + in the notation also indicates this)

• Locked thread