Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

It's the waiting that's the worst part :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Amended with this in mind. By the way, I encourage everyone on the team to not use the edit function for adding any new words. Post flooding should help with sapping the morale of White team.
With this double-posting permission, I just want to say that now I've fallen down the black hole that is Wikipedia's chess section and I've already learnt a new word: "fianchetto".

Don't know how useful it'd be to us (maybe it would be though? I don't know), but it seemed like a nice little illustration of how crazy this ol' game can get.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I did a little bit of reading about the Scandinavian defence last night and the most common third move (after the most typical White response of 3.Nc3) seems to be 3...Qa5, which nicely pins White's queen knight or pawn to the king.

Either way, let's do this. :denmark::sweden::norway: d5

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 11, 2017

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Dr. Snark posted:

poo poo, now I'm wondering what took White so long to decide on which pawn to move forwards. We ended up agreeing on the Scandi so quickly in comparison.
We did spend a lot of time going "if 1.e4 then shall we 1...d5?" before they even played it.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

oldskool posted:

I'm not sure why we bothered with the sicilian if we weren't going to Qxd5. Anything else gave away a pawn for literally nothing unless a very particular set of moves is made that makes White get in their own way.
As I understand it, we'll be down a pawn, but their extra pawn is isolated a long way up the board away from its fellow pawns, exactly where it doesn’t want to be. We'll also have a knight out before they do, as well as later options for our queen and bishop.

You know what, I'm convinced. Nf6

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Out of curiosity, what would be the best response to Bb5+? Is it c6, or would that lead to too much of a bloodbath of pawns?

(Assuming full bloodbath route, that would go something like 3.Bb5+ c6 4.dxc6 bxc6 5.Bxc6+ Nxc6, at at the end of it us being down three pawns in total to white's pawn and bishop, but with us having a big tempo advantage from our two developed knights versus their captured bishop. Wrecks our queenside pawns, though. But would White seek to save their bishop and avoid this? Then again, this all explains why Bb5+ would probably be a bad move anyway)

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jul 13, 2017

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Bg4 sounds fun.

Nice piece of fish posted:

They might take that trade as that sacrifices a pawn and a bishop for our three pawns and a bishop. I don't really want to make that trade.

The bishop defence is probably the best option, though they might not trade and just back off. Bishop defence they pretty much gain nothing and we don't really lose tempo. Knight defence is also a possibility, while not directly threatening the bishop they might not want that trade as bad, though I'm ususally for trading a bishop for a knight.

They are taking their time with it this time around though. They probably weren't anticipating our knight.
Where would we lose a bishop in that exchange? I thought it would be a pawn and a bishop lost for them, and three pawns lost for us.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 13, 2017

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

UnderFreddy posted:

What do we do when/if they send their pawn to f3 should we go Bg4? Do we just move the bishop back a few spaces? Seems a bit of a waste but I'm not good at chess so I don't really know
It feels like Bh5 would work, although I guess it's susceptible to a g4 counterattack there?

Also I'd just like to clarify something here, got a bit lost in the words sorry:

quote:

Also, in the game this development happened, white was in mate in 13 moves.
I assume this means Black won, but I'd like to be sure.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Well, white now have more posts in their thread than we do. Something about that last move must've spooked 'em pretty hard.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Oh I see, we'll have our other knight and our bishop protecting it. Fair enough. Nbd7

e: c6 on Mr./Ms. Fish's advice.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 14, 2017

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Changed my vote (edited original post).

Also, tactical genius apparently :v::

Paul.Power posted:

Out of curiosity, what would be the best response to Bb5+? Is it c6, or would that lead to too much of a bloodbath of pawns?

(Assuming full bloodbath route, that would go something like 3.Bb5+ c6 4.dxc6 bxc6 5.Bxc6+ Nxc6, at at the end of it us being down three pawns in total to white's pawn and bishop, but with us having a big tempo advantage from our two developed knights versus their captured bishop. Wrecks our queenside pawns, though. But would White seek to save their bishop and avoid this? Then again, this all explains why Bb5+ would probably be a bad move anyway)

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Question: what if they just leave the bishop sitting on b5? It doesn't seem to be in any danger right where it is, and it's pinning our knight to our king*. I guess it might be not that big of a deal, but they do have the option to do something else right now like f3 or d5.

* although I guess there ain't no rule says a king can't castle out of pins.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 16, 2017

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I'm holding off voting for now until I see what a few more people think. Putting the king in check with Qa5+ would be neat for delaying a castle, but would it be enough of an advantage? I quit like getting to Qd5 to attack the bishop from a nice central position, though... although yeah, Nc3 would mess with that badly.

On the other hand... I seem to remember Qd7 was the original plan, is there any reason not to stick with that?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I'm feeling Qd7 now for a move into a queenside castle that should automatically gets our rook directly behind the queen. It's not the most aggressive play right now, but it should lead to a strong position down the line. Still don't want to vote just yet though.

e: hmm, I'm a little concerned about Ne5 as a potential white response to Qd7. It breaks that rule of thumb of not moving the same minor piece twice, and of course opens up White's queen to capture by the bishop again, but it lets them threaten our bishop, knight and queen all at once.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 17, 2017

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Ooh. Yeah, that'd be a pretty good move to derail their (probable?) plans. Although yet again I'd like to see what other people think of it before I commit (sorry! But as you say, there's plenty of time). What fallout might result from something like this (other than losing a bishop, anyway)?

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 17, 2017

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

All right then, let's go for it. Bxf3

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Hmm. I only just thought of it unfortunately, but Qxf3 from White would pile a lot of pressure on our knight at c6. They could put us in a position that either forces us to abandon castling or makes us end up sacrificing a lot of pieces to get it. Although... Qd7 looks a lot nicer now that White's f3 knight's gone, and it may actually be necessary to keep our c6 knight from buckling. I'd probably go with that next, myself.

e: ^^ well, we lose a bishop, they lost a knight, it's a roughly fair trade. And their pawn structure in front of their post-castle king gets messed up a bit, too.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 18, 2017

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I like Qd7 myself. Happy to be convinced otherwise, though.

e: although thinking it through, Qd5 is pretty good - didn't notice we had the support of the knight. Might switch to that. Although c4 would mess with it...

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 19, 2017

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Now for the million [currency unit of choice] question: do we queenside castle, or work to set up a kingside castle?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Snorb posted:

King's gotta get the gently caress outta dodge. 0-0-0.

(Or it is O-O-O? I know one's Portable Game Notation and one's Algebraic Chess Notation.)
Looks like the Os are PGN and the 0s are ACN.

I see what people are saying in that a queenside castle isn't ideal, but I also see what they're saying about how having a bunch of pieces stuck protecting the king also isn't ideal. Fair enough. 0-0-0

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Is there anything we can do with our bishop? Feels like it should be able to sneak somewhere useful.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

e5.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

A farewell to light-square bishops. bxc6

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Ng4

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Am I missing something here? What's stopping us from using the knight to take the queen if it takes our queen?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Oh right yeah, I should probably vote too.

Kb7

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Sure, let's go for it. c5.

Sorry I haven't been around more, I think I've lost track of what's going on a bit.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I love rooks, they're wonderfully unsubtle.

Rd1+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Kxa7, let's take some stuff down with us.

• Locked thread