Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Davin Valkri posted:

Also we should probably wait until they actually move before we start speculating on the proper counterattack.

Is there any reason to think they won't open with e4? Might as well talk about our response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Davin Valkri posted:

Herp, your plan would send the queen gallivanting around the center while the knights and bishops stay stuck behind our pawns. Unacceptable. Pawn to e5.

Basically this. Herp is trying to steer us into the canal walls. Again. e5

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

c6

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Nxc6 is the only viable path.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

If we do Qa5, they do Nc3 and our queen is garbage.

If we do Qd5, they do Nc3 and our queen is in danger. How would we respond? Qe6+? We lose the threat along the d rank that way.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Qd6

EDIT: I am convinced. Bxf3

CirclMastr fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 17, 2017

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I maintain that Qa5 is better than Bxf3 on a fundamental level.

What a shock, the guy who crashes into canal walls wants to crash our queen into a wall.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Qd7 is the only viable line right now.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

e6

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I am okay with 0-0-0

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I have a dumb plan that might make sense but probably doesn't, so someone tell me what I'm not seeing (it's 8 AM and I'm out of painkillers so shoulder pain is debilitating).

We go Nd5 and threaten a bishop.

If they respond with xd5, we go Qxd5. Either they can trade queens with Qxd5, xd5, or they protect their queen and we go Qxb5.

If they respond with Bg5 to attack the rook, we just go f6. Bxf6, xf6 means we take a bishop for two pawns, and the previous line is still active. Or Bxf6, Nxf6 to retract the previous line.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Qc7 it is.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I was going to ask about e5 so I guess I'll just vote for it instead.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

xc6

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Bb4 is more immediate pressure but h5 is more unexpected I think, with the line of play fish laid out.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

xb5? What makes using the pawn to take the knight risky?

If we do xb5, they do Qa8+, we're forced to play Qb8, they play Rxd8+, we're forced to play Kxd8, they play Qxb8+

We lose our queen and are in shambles, probably unable to ever recover.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Nxe5

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Kb7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Nxd7

Rxd7