Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Let's hang on here a minute, goons.

My thought right now is we should go either Nb6 or Nf6, depending on which side Team White's going for. Let's try to get the center of the board under control with our knights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I know d5 would open up the queen's bishop, but would also place that pawn in jeopardy if White goes e4 for first move.

Worth the risk, I'd guess, but I'm only a 2. If we go this way, we should have something to back that bishop up later.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
d5 opens up our queen and her bishop, too. I'd say let's go with that to start.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I'm looking at the board and I'm concerned that White's next move is going to be Bb5+. Part of me wants to say Bd7 to preempt that.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I'm still concerned about that bishop going Bb5+. Problem is, that's such an obvious move that White might realize that and do something else.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
So obviously if White's next move is Qxg4, our next move should be Nxg4.

If White decides to go Bb5+, then I think the best counter would be Nbd7; this way, our other knight's covering our bishop in case White decides to move their queen out.

Now, what do we do if White decides to bring out the bishop on c-file?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I'm fine with c6 after having it explained why that's better than Nbd7 earlier. At best, White backs off and does something else. At worse, we're both down a pawn and a minor piece.

(if the next moves after are 5. dxc6 bxc6 6. Bxc6+ Nxc6. But somehow I'm not seeing White entirely willing to participate in that little bloodbath.)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Why not bxc6? That seems pretty reasonable to use the pawn before the knight, and even if the bishop takes the pawn, we take the bishop with the knight.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
No rule against castling out of a pin, but the king can't castle into, out of, or through check.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Qd5.

Qa5+ takes the queen too far away from the center of the board and takes some of the pressure off the bishop at b5; Qxd4 trades us our queen for a pawn, Neither of those sound like great ideas to me.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Bxf3 is a terrible move guys, abort abort abort

My move of choice is still Qd5.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Qd5 threatens both the queen and the bishop on b5. Let's go for that.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I'm fine with e6; while a6 will threaten that bishop, it was already pointed out that White can just counter that with Ba4. e6 at least lets us whip out our bishop.

I promise you that sounded less dirty when I thought that up.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
King's gotta get the gently caress outta dodge. 0-0-0.

(Or it is O-O-O? I know one's Portable Game Notation and one's Algebraic Chess Notation.)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Let's do this. Qc7.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
No. White's not stupid enough to go for our knight. Not yet.

It's pretty obvious that Qxf6 leads to gxf6, and Qxc6 gets followed up with bxc6 (and best-case for us, 12. Bxc6 Qxc6). I think the next move's gonna be Bg5.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Let's go with Bb4.

Also, to everyone suggesting Kb4: The king can't move that far. You're thinking of Nb4.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Changing my vote! e5 death or glory!

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
bxc6 has my vote.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

What chess notation uses "b" for pawns?

Algebraic notation, of course! =p

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
If I were White, I'd go Qf5+. That'd gently caress our day up real quick-- either we move that rook and put it in immediate danger, or we move our king out of harm's way. Either way, that jacks up our future planning.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
h5 and release the rook

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Covski, quick question:

There's a chess engine online that analyzes possible moves and rates the current position as a positive (if in White's favor) or negative (if in Black's favor) number; once this game's over, is it cool if I put the moves and numbers in and make a graph to show just how likely one side was to win/lose?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Tentative vote for now for Ng4; I'm guessing Rd5 would be a bad idea?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I dunno, I was gonna say it's not over till the fat lady sings, myself.

Anyway, I don't completely think we're screwed?? Not yet.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Let's see if White's willing to trade queens. Nxe5.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Well, gently caress. I guess they weren't willing to trade after all.

Qd7.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Let's do Kb7 and do what every crappy horror movie taught us over the last 30 years: STAY AWAY FROM THE DARK (squares)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
You know what a great Star Trek ship was? The NX class.

(In other words, my vote's Nxd7.)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Let's play this safe and go c5.

I was so tempted to say f6, though.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Spectators, please run Bd6, Bc5 and C5 through a chess engine and see which one is better. Seeing which move was better when we have contested votes will be fascinating when the game ends.

When I do the graph at the end of the game, I'll run those three moves and say which one was best. (I'll also run the move I thought of to put a little pressure on the queen, f6.)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Rd1+ and we at least die with our hands around White's throat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Before you go, Herp, I ran those four moves you requested a few pages ago.
19. ...Bd6 was the best move, giving White +.72 points in their favor.
...c5, our move, gave White +4.83 points.
...f6 gave White mate in 15.
...Bc5 gave White mate in 10.

• Locked thread