Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

REFEREE, EJECT THIS MAN FROM THE TOURNAMENT HALL also hi Herp-derp.

Also we should probably wait until they actually move before we start speculating on the proper counterattack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Herp, your plan would send the queen gallivanting around the center while the knights and bishops stay stuck behind our pawns. Unacceptable. Pawn to e5.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Fellas, what'd I just say?

Our unity is being broken!

Your definition of unity seems to be "everybody do exactly as I say."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Herp is a huge moron. I know--he cost me Leningrad once. Ignore him.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

You rolled a 1, and we literally needed anything but a 1! If the dice weren't against us that would've ended in victory and you know it.

BEFORE that, you dunce.

Anyway, nobody make formal proposals until White moves. Chess is a slow game.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Forget the queen. Let's take the opportunity to break out a knight. Knight to F6 threatens the pawn and develops a piece. If he moves the pawn forward, we take with one of our other pawns. Maybe the queen's bishop pawn to push up the center?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

What the hell is Qxd5

Queen [Q] captures [x] as it moves to d5.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

oldskool posted:

We're two moves in literally nothing is in the bag

Seriously, Herp, in the words of today, check yourself before you wreck yourself.

WRT White Bishop to B5, check, would the strongest counter be Bishop to D7? If they take the bishop, we can develop the other knight in the exchange.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

The one caveat to Bg4 is that it fixes our knight in place, since otherwise the white queen can go out and eat the bishop. Besides that it does sound like a decent move.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

A thought - If white take our bishop with their queen in the next turn, would that be a good time to get our queen moving as well? Wait until both pieces are equally exposed to avoid the "chasing her around the board like an idiot" dilemma?

If they do that, we take their queen with our knight.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

oh poo poo actually I just talked myself into this one, that position looks fun as heck let's do it

You've convinced me. Knight [B8] to D7.

Edit: Vote changed.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 14, 2017

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

dude all they have in the center are pawns

pawns are weak

This is proof that you know nothing about chess. Pawns are investments. Not weak.

Also, nice piece of fish, that's not a bad case for C6, but it kind of leaves the queen side pawn structure in ruins, and thus would make a queen's side castle a very poor move.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

The polls are close, but neither party occupies a majority in the commons. Vote now for a strong and stable Nbd6 or suffer a coalition of chaos under C6.

Pawn to C6, because I dislike you.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

I can feel their panic from here. We have this.

Herp-derp, shut up. Just shut up, right now.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Nxc6 to avoid an embarrassing early checkmate!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Talow posted:

Through check? so what, like if a rook was threatening the space right next to the king, you can't castle past it?

Correct. Which is why I was concerned about the pawn structure earlier.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Didn't someone suggest Qd7 earlier? That makes some sense to me, since after the castle we get a bit of Alekhine's Gun action right down the middle.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Paul.Power posted:

I'm feeling Qd7 now for a move into a queenside castle that should automatically gets our rook directly behind the queen. It's not the most aggressive play right now, but it should lead to a strong position down the line. Still don't want to vote just yet though.

e: hmm, I'm a little concerned about Ne5 as a potential white response to Qd7. It breaks that rule of thumb of not moving the same minor piece twice, and of course opens up White's queen to capture by the bishop again, but it lets them threaten our bishop, knight and queen all at once.

Oh, drat, that's a good point. 6. ... Qd7 7. Ne5 would lead to our queen getting eaten no matter what.

Would Qc7 or Qb6 be viable?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

So the plan is to break up White's control of the center a bit at the cost of delaying the castling a move? Sure, I could see that working. Bxf3.

Actually, let me think on this more. That kinda leaves our kingside totally empty...

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 17, 2017

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Actually, come to think of it, may I formally propose Qb6? I imagine a kings-side castle looks rather less inviting when a queen is threatening to get all up in your business there. And if we can clear the pawn on d4 and get something to threaten f2, it becomes a mating threat.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Nc3 protects jack poo poo because of the pawn on A6 (the turn after we'd move A6). The knight is pinned, so what the gently caress can they do? If they move the bishop anywhere other than A4, we take the pawn on D4 with our knight that is now no longer pinned. If they counter that with their own knight, we take their Queen with the bishop on G4.

If the Bishop goes back to A4, we can press it with pawn B5 which gives us an even better development queen side, and we'd have thoroughly cornered them. It'd be a useless bishop.

...white would play 8. Bxc6+ xc6 9. Bf4 and now our queenside castle plan is totally fragged.

Herp. You are a dolt. Nobody should listen to you when it comes to moves.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Besides, that assumes that they don't do 8. Bd2, because the knight that would be guarding the queen is pinned! Moron!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

7. ... Qxd4 8. c3 would absolutely murder our tempo. I still think Qb6 is stronger.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Paul.Power posted:

I like Qd7 myself. Happy to be convinced otherwise, though.

e: although thinking it through, Qd5 is pretty good - didn't notice we had the support of the knight. Might switch to that. Although c4 would mess with it...

7. ... Qd5 8. c4 Qe4+ 9. Qxe4 Nxe4, perhaps?

I'm more worried about white playing Qa3, since that would be a death sentence for our Queenside castle, or even 8. Qxc6+ xc6 9. Bxc6+, which would also ruin everything.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

I'm convinced. Qd7.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

E6, and for the love of God put a muzzle on Herp Derp.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

We are under attack. The enemy is at our gates. Our own hope is to strike the enemy before they strike us, lest we be defeated by those conniving White Team members. Qxd4 will be the blow to rout the enemy force, to show them we mean business. And that is what we mean: business.

9. ... Qxd4 10. Bxc6+ xc6 11. Qxc6+ and we're done. Do NOT vote Qxd4!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Nice piece of fish posted:

We've got a couple of things we can do now. Nb4 threatens the knight they obviously plan to let loose and opens up our king's side castle, which given that white's offensive is queenside seems a good idea at the moment.

Just to confirm, is this Bb4? Nb4 gives them the queen for a bishop.

Also wrt

Yes, like we're not wise to the fact that Herp is trying to make us lose.

I figure an active and immediate refutation is good practice. Let no one think we're shutting him down without good reason.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 24, 2017

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

What do you all make of Pawn to e5? The way I see it, if they take the pawn that opens the d file, and if they don't, we can take it and open up possibilities for an attack along the h2-b8 diagonal?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Well, that's pretty defensive. I guess white is worried about d corridor after all.

Okay, so we are after the white king, really. I have two suggestions:

Be7

to move our bishop out and cover our knight and our rook, also to threaten that diagonal when we move our knight out after h5 OR

H5.

Move up and support the tile we need to take white king. Both the rook and the knight support that pawn, and it's a bit far to threaten with the same pawns that are protecting the white king. If we can put a knight in g4 and then move Qc7, they will either have to sacrifice the Queen or downright lose. Unless they move the rook. It still is a dismantling move.

We could try and feint it out by pretending we're doing d corridor, move the queen first for a Qc7 and then go e5.

E5 probably still has to wait until we're ready to force a hand. A6 just gets us an exchange and we ruin our remaining queen side defence.

The Queen to h2 attack is what I was thinking of when I proposed pawn to e5. I'm good with either h5 or Qc7.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

oldskool posted:

If we Qc7, what's our counter to Bf4? It looks like our choices are either run away & concede the center, or Bd6 and block our queen in yet again.

I think I like h5 the best out of all our options. They have overloaded the king's side of the board, let's march the pawns and box them in.

I think the hard counter to that would be Nxd4, threatening their queen (and their other bishop!) as well.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

We should probably wait until they move before we start speculating on our next move. If they move out the rook on c1, for example, then setting up an Qh2 attack may win a rook (depending on what else they do), but it won't win the game.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

I'd rather continue with our kingside attack, tbh, if only to contain their queen and even drive their king back towards the d file and our rook. h5 was what was proposed to protect the g4 knight, yes?

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 29, 2017

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Wait, no! White is poised to break through on d if we don't play this right. We need to loving get rid of that pawn on d4 NOW, and we don't have enough supporting poo poo to do it. We have to go e5 and loving hope white bites, because if white goes d5 we are in serious trouble. Thing is, they still need Nc3, which makes us able to turn the tables still.

loving e5 and let's go. We either exchange rooks, which at this point hurts white more, and we force them to move the queen, or we kick it off from a stronger position.

Could you clarify what the threat of white playing 12. d5 is? Seems like that would allow us to play 12. ... Ne5 and push their queen around and/or take their rook with our own.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Ah, I see. And you know, I liked this move earlier. Changing vote to e5.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Snorb posted:

If I were White, I'd go Qf5+. That'd gently caress our day up real quick-- either we move that rook and put it in immediate danger, or we move our king out of harm's way. Either way, that jacks up our future planning.

Not really? The b file looks open, but absolutely nothing on White's side is in position to exploit it.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

How about H6? Start opening an avenue for our rook if necessary.

Also, could we move Queen to E7 and then Pawn to E4? They would be forced to move their queen back or risk losing it.

The f6 knight would guard a pawn on e4, so that's not really necessary. I'd say either e4, h5, or moving the bishop somewhere so we can bring our other rook into the dance.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

If we move our pawn to E4 and the queen takes it, our knight can take the queen from that position. The worst they can do is move her one square over to put us in check, which takes one move of the king to take us out of. Any other moves would put their queen in danger or let us start developing that side of the board.

Fish is calling out the knight on c4 as taking that pawn.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

poo poo, I just realized that our Queen is blocked in by the e5 pawn. Hubris that we thought they would take first!

Would xd4 be a stronger move?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Quick question before I vote: what's the next step if they don't move their bishop but instead initiate the exchange (15. Rxd8) or try to do something to force us to block up the d file again (15. Nd5 xd5 16. xd5)?

• Locked thread