Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
This'll be interesting. Looking forward to helping decide our move tomorrow. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm thinking either d5 or e5 to counter whichever side they start on by releasing one of our bishops. They are powerful, mobile and erratic, although only one because if both are out there's a danger of them getting removed early. Saving releasing the rooks could save us later because having one or more of our rooks not moving means if worst comes to worst we have an option for castling. The bishops don't have that defensive move, so the rooks are better savoured before they are wasted. Also moving the pawn 2 squares keeps all 4 potential squares free for the knights to move to, only moving one space would reduce the knight's paths.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 10, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

That's annoying it happened that fast while I was at work. I would have agreed with that move anyway though. (I was at work literally 2 hours before our turn opened and just got back).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

We are literally following Invader Zim right now. This is Herp's behaviour in a nutshell:

"BOW BEFORE MY SUPERIOR INTELLECT PUNY WHITE TEAM! You're tactics are foolish in the face of HERP!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

This is kinda cool, feels like being part of a neural-network or something - a bunch of nodes working together to hash out every possible possibility and come up with the objectively best move. We don't need the chess programs, with how hard we nitpick the smallest move for mistakes, we are one.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Looking over potential moves it does look as though completing the Scandinavian defense is our best move. Trying to paralyse the enemy with the bishop would put him in harms way too easily, the knights movements would either be useless or giving them directly to the pawn, and the longer the pawn lasts there the closer it gets to checking our king. Let's complete the Scandinavian defense and go Qxd5

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'll change my vote to Nf6 - I didn't realise the queen was such a dire move. This is why the discussion is so interesting.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

If you want a real clusterfuck - crowdsourced Carcassonne. :devil:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm fine with this tactic. Let's make a mess with Bg4

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A thought - If white take our bishop with their queen in the next turn, would that be a good time to get our queen moving as well? Wait until both pieces are equally exposed to avoid the "chasing her around the board like an idiot" dilemma?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I keep not seeing that. gently caress :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

If that's their next move, obviously we need to go e4 and sink their battleship...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I love that no matter how many infinite variations of moves there are, due to the game being thousands of years old practically every combination of moves has a precedent and a name. :3:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like Nbd6 because it develops another knight, which seems like a solid plan. Also this way our strength slowly concentrates itself in the lower left corner, likely a helpful fortress if needed?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'll agree with Nxc6. Seems the only viable path.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

By the way, for an idea how good I am at chess, I just did the final chess player in the Order of the Phoenix game, who get increasingly difficult AI as they progress - the first and second I beat on my own, but for the third and final I had to use a move calculator and basically let a Chess computer win for me. Basically I am just good enough to beat a crappy AI :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like Qd6

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm OK with Qd5

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I wanna tuck the king into his bed. Let's 0-0-0

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Qc7 gets my vote as well.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

On second though - changing to e5 to avoid white breaking through, per Fish's suggestion.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 29, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It's like White's remaining knight is resting in a stable formed by the two rooks :3:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like h5, we need to make use of the left side of the board.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Imma recap our strategy right now (the baby is the Rook): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3jk_wd7Byk

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Agreeing with Ng4 - the pawn makes a nice defensive piece to backup our knight - will White be foolish enough to take the knight and give up their queen? Most likely not, so the knight will be protected.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Yeah, but it's much more fun to play to win. We're not doing this for points or rankings in some kind of tournament or anything in which a draw would benefit us in any real way. Were playing a game together, and whether we win or lose, we want to play it to the end regardless. Surrendering/going for a deliberate stalemate is unfun and unsatisfying, it's like rage-quitting a video game because a boss is being unfair - certainly it's an option, but it's unsatisfying.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Nxe5 seems solid to me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Qd7. If they try to take the queen blocking the King, it'll put her right next to the king ripe for him to take her out himself.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Kb7. Our only option.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm fine with Rxd7

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'll side with the fish - c5

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The problem with your analogy is this - we don't have Luke Skywalker piloting, we have Chewbacca. :P (:h:)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Rd1+. Let's go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I agree with Kxa7. May as well play it through.

• Locked thread