Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ah good, I prefer playing Black, White pieces always look so tacky.

Looking forward to sinking some battleships.

Let's go with, uh, D5 for the first move, let the bishops loose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I think the more pieces we add will be very helpful as things get more crazy, Knights are good, I love them. Putting the Queen out is pretty tempting, but we'll have more opportunities in future when it can run rampant. Nf6

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Pawn to c6, I'm liking the offense we're mounting right now, so let's make some excellent trades.

Also gently caress the guy who's nearly posted 2 pages worth of posts in a 6 page thread.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Alright, bishop for a queen is a drat good trade, let's do it. And then after we kill the queen we get rid of the pawn? If it takes the pawn on the right then our rook is kinda screwed. And our king is back in check.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 15, 2017

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Okay, now that I've wrapped my head round it, we go cx6, cause if that pawn moves our rook is at risk and we're in check again, meaning we have to move our knight. Sure they might take our bishop with their queen, but we've got our knight to take their queen. We can do that move whenever, so let's deal with the bottom right of the board before we take their queen.

Hold up, they can just move their knight to block the bishop, so what are we doing about that? Take the queen now and lose our rook and have their pawn promote? If we move the knight out of the way, then we can get rid of the new promoted queen with our queen, so I think if we want their queen, we'll have to do some trades.

So Yeah, changing my vote to BxQ5. Always gotta think everything out before you post.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 15, 2017

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah, now that I've thought about it for more than 10 minutes, getting rid of like 6 of our pieces to get their queen might not be the best of ideas. Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have said I'm a 6...

Anyway, we could take their queen right now, but they can so easily ignore it, move the pawn and put us in check. This will force us to move our knight to block, they take our rook and they promote it to queen or something, I'm not 100% on how promoting works when they basically still have all their good stuff. However, with the knight moved, our queen can just kill it, but now it's stuck behind a knight and a pawn and is basically useless. They're then free to retreat their bishop and we lose a pincer.

If we kill the pawn with our pawn, then they can move their knight to block our bishop meaning if we take it, they can either kill with the queen, putting it on the board, or with a pawn, a pretty easy trade. We'll have to move our bishop back one space forcing them to keep the knight in place to save their queen. Thankfully if they do that, our pawn can take their bishop no problem, since they'll be protecting their queen.

We can also take the pawn with our knight. This frees up our rook, we can easily move the queen elsewhere to castle, but if they take the knight with the bishop, then we have to take the bishop with the pawn, since we'll be back in check. Then they can move the knight to block our bishop from the queen.

Regardless of what happens, they'll be moving the knight to block our bishop and if we take the pawn with the knight, we'll lose the knight and take their bishop, but get our rook and castle more available. Or if we take the pawn with our pawn, we only lose a pawn, we can take our knight out to kill the bishop and still free up our rook and the castling. What they might do is ignore their bishop, let it get taken by our pawn and stopping our knight from moving out and freeing up strategies. So it's a tough call.

We'll go cx6 Ah screw it, Ncx6 and they'll most likely go f3 next turn, or indeed Bd2.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 15, 2017

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Let's go a bit crazy, Bxf3

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

If they do that, let's move our Queen to xd4, now they're both out on the board and we can have a real party. Then we can castle too.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Wait, you made Bxf3 without noticing Qxf3 immediately after?

:suicide:

It's really not that hard to notice, both of our Knights are protected by pawns, if they move the Queen to f3 we can move our Queen up to d4 no problem, otherwise we can move the a7 pawn up to pressure the Bishop into retreating and freeing up the right side.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Alright, do we wanna move the Queen to xd4, or move to a7 pawn to a6?

We can also move the g7 pawn up to g4 to threaten the Queen, but that'll take two turns.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I would be good with Qd7 since trading queens right now is a bit premature and we need to get our King away from that drat Bishop.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Pe6 is a good idea, we definitely don't want to be in that position 3 moves down the line and we need to get our left side moving.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I like it, we need to move our King so we can move our other drat pieces who are protecting the King and move our Rook into a better position.

0-0-0

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'm liking Qc7, a simple move that does quite a bit and hopefully we can break this cold war soon.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I suppose they can move the Queen back to e2 to stop our Knight going too crazy, but I do like Kb4. We can also move the Bishop to b4 to limit their movement back there. We can also go with Pa6 to get that Bishop to back off. I wish we could take advantage of that Bishop only being able to really move back to a4.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

...xc6?

I mean, are they sacrificing a bishop to tempt us into going for that move, meaning they open up D corridor with xe5, tempting us to go for Rxd1, meaning they'll go Qxd1?

After they go xe5, we can go Qxe5. Sure they'll go Rxd8, but we can then kill it with the King. It could be a fine trade, I guess?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Covski posted:

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.

Quoting for new page.

We can also just ignore the Bishop. Sure, it'll kill a pawn and put us in check, but then we just move to the right and then the Bishop can't really do anything.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Pawn to h5 is fine, we can also be way more aggressive and go Bb4, or even Qa5, though it is dissuading more aggressive plays.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

They'll play it safe and move the Bishop back, so it's a free Pawn for us and forces them to move their Queen. Ng4

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

...what?

Of course we're going for a win, that's the whole reason we're playing this game. Why the hell would we surrender?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

gently caress off mate.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Qd7

We're seeing this to the end. Even if we lose, we did so on Black, so it's not a big deal anyway.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh will you shut up already, jesus. Either play to the end or stop being over dramatic every 5 seconds.

I think we should move the Knight back, we could use some King protection more now than ever, but I'm tempted to go either way.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

We're in check, so we either move the Rook or the Knight.

I'll go Rxd7

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

If we win with only a King, two Pawns and a Rook left, then that's still a win. Sacrifice all the pieces! That we don't need! Keep the ones we do need!

Bc5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

That was fun, I'm looking forward to all the crazy analysis that'll go right over my head. I dunno how some people plot out all these moves like it's the Matrix, but it's fun as hell to read.

Also I'm just glad this ended with a clear winner unlike the RPS one. GG baby

• Locked thread