Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'd also request that the more experienced players please describe their moves and strategies in a way that 1's like myself can understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I vote D5 because we need a direct confrontation to show how dark and edgy we are.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dr. Snark posted:

poo poo, now I'm wondering what took White so long to decide on which pawn to move forwards. We ended up agreeing on the Scandi so quickly in comparison.

Speaking as someone who doesn't understand chess beyond how the pieces move, this phrase is hilarious to me when we're at a point where the only moves made so far have been two pawns moving forward.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

What the hell is Qxd5

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I have to agree with Knight to F6. I can't see any benefit to trying to trick them into a queen exchange when that could easily backfire and leave us without a queen.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Going to agree on Bishop to G4. Either the Queen takes the bait and gets whacked by our knight or they waste a turn moving a pawn in to block her.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm divided between Pawn to C6 (if they take the bait and have the bishop strike, it's able to be taken by the pawn nearby) and the other suggestion.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm going to finalize my vote for Pawn to C6. They have the option of either taking our pawn with their bishop and leaving it open to be taken by our pawn next door, or taking our pawn with their center pawn and blocking their check.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

idhrendur posted:

I'm also going to vote c6, but again, I have questions. Assuming they don't Bxc6 and put us back in check, or finally do something to counter our previous moves, why wouldn't we just take their queen? Sure, we lose a bishop in the doing, but that's a worthwhile trade, no?

I'd say yes to taking the queen, but only if their next move isn't an immediate counter to C6.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I just suggested it because I saw like 3 outcomes for the next move that gave us a beneficial position each time.

I don't know a single named strategy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bishop to D1. Take the queen.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I actually do think Queen to D4 is best. It opens our queen to either bait their queen into being taken by our knight or let us put their king in check with our queen.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So what happens if they just use their pawn to capture our bishop?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm voting Queen to D4. If they don't move their king, we have an angle on check. If they do, we can hit other pieces.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

0-0-0

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm looking at Pawn to A6. They made trade their bishop for a pawn, or they may back off and give us an opening to keep advancing (the pawn can be kept at A6 to prevent the bishop from moving forward to try and strike again).

One risk I'm seeing is that a few moves down the line, if they open up their A1 rook's path it has a straight shot to the king.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

All right, Qc7.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah Pawn blows up the C6 Bishop.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

What chess notation uses "b" for pawns?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

How about H6? Start opening an avenue for our rook if necessary.

Also, could we move Queen to E7 and then Pawn to E4? They would be forced to move their queen back or risk losing it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Changing my vote to H5.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 2, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nice piece of fish posted:

Ne4. Gets us nothing but minus a pawn.

If we move our pawn to E4 and the queen takes it, our knight can take the queen from that position. The worst they can do is move her one square over to put us in check, which takes one move of the king to take us out of. Any other moves would put their queen in danger or let us start developing that side of the board.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Davin Valkri posted:

Fish is calling out the knight on c4 as taking that pawn.

Ah, good point. I'll change my vote.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ng4

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm going to go with Nxe5.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Qd7

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

What would be the negative consequences of taking the white queen?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Changing my vote to Kb7.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 11, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dr. Snark posted:

We're in check mate. That move's illegal.

Are we? He didn't say we're in check. From what I understand of the rules, taking the king is an illegal move under our current rule set (you can only endanger him) so the knight can't actually do anything.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Davin Valkri posted:

The knight on A7 is the checking piece. Also you HAVE to break the check if you're in check. Kb7 is more or less our only option...and also not great. Oh well.

Can we get Covski to weigh in on whether or not we're actually in check since he didn't say we are?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The plus on Nxa7+ means check. You lose if the king is taken, hence why check forces you to cover the king (impossible against knights), kill the piece (we cannot do that right now) or move the king.

If we were not under check, why would we make the move you suggest? We could literally win the game by Qxd1+ - Rxd1 - Rxd1 mate. That wins us the game since the Queen cannot move back to defend. Qxf5 would be the best move if the alternative wasn't literal victory.

I just wanted to be absolutely sure because he was being consistent about putting it in words, and he left it out this time.

I also know practically nothing about chess notation.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nxd7

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I agree, Bd6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AJ_Impy posted:

Nice piece of fish suggested Bc5: I'll hear their reasoning before committing.

I don't think so. The bishop can be taken by two different pieces and none of our pieces are in a position to capture in retaliation. We'd risk losing the piece for nothing.

• Locked thread