Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Assuming they use a standard opener, we should probably go with a standard defense.

But if we'd like to see the world burn, we could open with a5 or h5. Sure it'll take a few moves to get the rook out, and sure it gets all crowded making the rooks not useful until later, but it can really throw other inexperienced players off balance.

That said, it's probably even more terrible than I know, and we should stick to pretty standard moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

chitoryu12 posted:

I'd also request that the more experienced players please describe their moves and strategies in a way that 1's like myself can understand.

Thanks for the reminder! I'm being a bit of a tongue-in-cheek advocate of (AFAIK) an oddball strategy. Instead of using our critical opening moves to get a bunch of pieces in play, I'm suggesting we use those turns to move one of the outside pawns up then spending a few more turns to get a rook up and then over. It's not really a viable strategy: rooks are powerful but (in my experience) do poorly when the board is crowded. They're more useful later in the game as the board opens up. But an oddball opening might really throw the other team off balance and give us some opportunities.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I'm all for giving our opponents opportunities to make mistakes. D5.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Alright, reading the discussion has convinced me of Nf6.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

There seems to be agreement about Bg4, and it's pretty well discussed so I think I understand the merits. Most of my questions answered before I had to ask them! So I'll agree with Bg4. In the meanwhile, let's assume they go with f3. Would the better move be Bh5 (keeping the pawn pinned to the queen), or Bf5 (developing the bishop towards the center), or even something else? Bh5 seems the better choice to me, but Bf5 was mentioned, so I'm wondering what I may be missing.

Also, the chess games I'm playing with that app are demonstrating that I vastly overestimated my skills by saying I was a 5.

idhrendur fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 13, 2017

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I'm also going to vote c6, but again, I have questions. Assuming they don't Bxc6 and put us back in check, or finally do something to counter our previous moves, why wouldn't we just take their queen? Sure, we lose a bishop in the doing, but that's a worthwhile trade, no?

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I want their queen, but I agree that it'd be too costly to take it now. Nxc6.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I'm favoring pawn to A6, but waiting to vote until more opinions have been put out there.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Alright, I'll vote for Bxf3.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I'm also convinced. Qd7.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I agree. 0-0-0.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Agreed. Qc7.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

E5. Let's go.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Crosspeice posted:

...xc6?

I mean, are they sacrificing a bishop to tempt us into going for that move, meaning they open up D corridor with xe5, tempting us to go for Rxd1, meaning they'll go Qxd1?

After they go xe5, we can go Qxe5. Sure they'll go Rxd8, but we can then kill it with the King. It could be a fine trade, I guess?

And unless I'm seeing things wrong (a strong possibility), that would place our queen in a good position to fork their knight and remaining rook. At which point we own the back row, place them in check, and anything they do to stop us just hands us another piece and puts them back in check. Presumably that means they'd be smart enough to not do that in the first place, but you never know.

Also xc6.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I'll agree with h5.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Ng4.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Nxe5.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Qd7

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Kb7.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I'm with fish on this one. Rxd7.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

From what I understand, the idea behind Bc5 is to set up Rd8, followed by Rd1, then when they take our rook, Rd1 again for checkmate. They can take pieces in the meanwhile, but they can't checkmate us without taking our rooks first*, and the can really only block that set of moves except by forcing us to trade a rook for their queen (a trade I'd be perfectly willing to make). Of course, if we move Bd6, we block that series of moves ourselves.

I'm with fish's idea of Bc5.

* I'm asserting this based on a cursory analysis that may be wrong, but from what I see, any of the critical positions they could get their queen into would allow us to capture the queen for the loss of a rook.

Edit: He's written something as I was writing. Time to read it and think, so kindly disregard what I've written here for the moment.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Okay, took a few moments to read and think. I think c5 is a better move that Bd6, but I'm inclined to think Bc5 is better still. (Possibly) sacrifice the bishop for a chance at victory or to set up a queen/rook exchange. But I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Nice piece of fish posted:

What I'm worried about there is that when we go Bc5, they go Qxc5, we stack rooks and they do Qxc6+. Then they chase us around and we didn't block the bishop so we can't do anything about that knight. Sooner or later, it becomes untenable.

They could probably force a continous check on us, which means we never get off that rook shot because we'll be forced to use a rook to block.

I think c5 is probably a better gamble to improve our position, and we sacrifice less and cost white more. So I'm gonna stick with that. Majority decides.

Right, there's a potential for a bit of a crazy dance there. We'd have to go Kb8, after which I see a few possibilities:
Qa8, in which case we'd just take the queen and continue the rook's drive.
Qc7, same.
Qc8, in which case Rxc8, NxC8, KxC8. Not the best, but they'd be left with few workable pieces and their rook still out of position.
Qxd7, in which case we do Rxd7 and traded a bishop, pawn, and rook for their queen. Probably the worst for us.

So, it's not really devastating to us in any case. But give me a moment to plot out possible results of c5 for myself, as I just might agree with you that it's still the superior move.

Edit: Looked it over. I think it ends up largely the same, but one way or another we get their bishop too. c5.

idhrendur fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 17, 2017

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

DM Zero posted:

Bd6 to threaten the Queen.

I don't see the value of throwing the bishop away in Bc5 (even if they accept by taking the Bishop, it doesn't gain us anything from what I can tell. Even if we then make the Rook stack on the d-file, we'll never be able to execute it as the Queen is well entrenched and we will not be able to force it out.

c5 is probably going to be met with Qe8, pinning the Bishop.

We'd be able to defending the positioned rook with Kc7. Not the best, but it wouldn't do much to us either. I just don't see what c6Bd6 gains us at all.

Edit: correcting c6 to Bd6 like I meant to type.

idhrendur fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 18, 2017

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I did a whole bunch of lines to show what we gain from Bd6. It's the better play. I vote Bd6.

Further observation with Bd6 also shows it's most likely to give us an easy stalemate trap where the same move is made three times, otherwise they open themselves to checkmate. Phoneposting so I can't edit and review the post. Come on guys, don't ignore my effort without disproving it and instead blindly following another line.

E: No, that was rude. You are following Fish's logic, and I think it is sorta sound theoretically, but it is not visualised on the board and so I have issues with it.

Sorry, I completely forgot about your previous analysis. I looked past it because white hadn't moved yet, and then once they had I forgot about it! It certainly makes me more confident that Bd6 is workable, but my gut worries we'd end up in the Qc2 scenario which just seems bad for us. I haven't graphed out the possibilities of the queen threatening our king if we Bc5, but when I plotted them out myself it only slowed our attack. I still feel c5 sets us up better, and am gonna stick with that vote, but you've raised my confidence levels if the vote goes your direction. So thank you.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

No time to think at the moment, but mayhaps one of the people I convinced into Bc5 will change their mind. If I get time again this evening I'll ponder some more.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I'm fine with not just a hail mary, but just going a bit hogwild to wrap things up. Put their king in check. Capture the knight.

Then again, if there's plans for another game after this, maybe resigning would be good so that can get rolling. Covski, are you planning on starting another game after this?

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Rd1+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Kxa7

• Locked thread