Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DM Zero
Dec 8, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Chiming in here now that I've been added in.

Qxd6 is the best move here, even though it does not appear to be at first glance. Yes, they will likely respond with Nc3. That's totally OK. We can respond with Qa5 which puts the Queen in an active but rather safe square. Most likely we will end up transitioning into the common Caro-Kann defense for Black with a ... c6 move almost regardless of their followup to Qa5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DM Zero
Dec 8, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Nxc6 is a fantastic move and I absolutely vote for it. The most likely response is going to be f3 to threaten our bishop in kind, but that's OK.

DM Zero
Dec 8, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
0-0-0 is a good call here.

DM Zero
Dec 8, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
We need to remove the pin on our knight ASAP before we get choked to death here. I'm going to vote for Qc7. Open up the d-file for the D8 rook, make the pinned knight be able to actually move again, let the Queen cover that diagonal running up to h2.

DM Zero
Dec 8, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, I leave for a few days and things go rather downhill quickly.

We're in a world of pain right now. In fact, there may be little we can do to NOT lose our Queen here.

I've spent a few hours looking at this to try to figure a way out of it. I'll try to explain the most likely followups that I can see from the moves we have. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of good options...

Obviously, the Queen is threatened here, so we have to assume that almost any move that isn't a Queen move or a move that puts them in check is going to be responded with the Queen being taken, or something to further pin us in.

cxb5 - As CirclMastr said, this move is potentially ruinous as it leads to a more or less forced Rxd8+, Kxd8, Qxb8+, we're roasted over an open fire.

Rxd1+ - This will lead to (likely) an Rxd1 or Qxd1 response. Rxd1 puts us in (almost) the exact same position after a Rook exchange (should we then continue with cxb5, we win Rook and Knight for our Queen, but we're still in a really bad spot as above as the Queen is in our back rank and going to shred several pieces). Qxd1 is a different story, and will relieve a lot of pressure off us (enabling the capture of the b5 knight much more safely). I don't think we can bet on them making this move, but...

Any Queen move (as best I can tell) - Almost universally bad, some leading to mate or a serious loss of material in very short order. Consider Qb7. That will invite Nxa7+, forcing us to either capture the Knight with the Queen (which is then lost to the e3 bishop), or go Kc7 to attempt to continue protecting our rook on d8. That then easily invites Qxf7+ and I think we can see from there the position is almost unwinnable. The last "option" therefore being...

Nxe5 - This is a gamble - we can offer an exchange of Queens here, but I see a potential bad spot for us that Qf5+ continues to tighten the noose on us, but doesn't utterly eradicate us in a matter of a few moves (again, from what I can tell). Queen exchange will relieve a lot of pressure on us but won't solve all of our problems in one go.

I don't see a lot of good options. At this point the best thing I can see is that we either go Rxd1 and gamble that they capture it with the Queen (seems very unlikely as Rxd1 is basically staring you in the face), or to invite an exchange of Queens with Nxe5.

I'm going to vote for Nxe5 as it's the most likely thing to bait a move that does not contribute further to the bad position we're in.

DM Zero fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 7, 2017

DM Zero
Dec 8, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I see no way in which Nxh2 isn't the same as e5 but better.

I strongly disagree. He can take our Knight with his King (Kxh2) which does not buy us anything even in the short run, however going Nxe5 we get the central pawn more or less for free while still inviting the Queen exchange. What protects him from just going Kxh2 and we're still, again, more or less in the same position after throwing a Knight away for a pawn?

DM Zero
Dec 8, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah, taking with the king is what we want. That gets them out of position and let's us set up a potential assault on the king.Qxe5 and Bd6 get us the win.

No it doesn't. After Qxe5, what's their most likely move? Bf4 looks pretty clear/obvious to me to threaten our Queen and block the check. You would then still do Bd6? This would assuredly result in Nxd6+ from them (losing the Bishop, Queen remains threatened), and I hope I don't need to explain further that this game is all but over from there as we would lose our Bishop, Rook, and Queen in short order there almost no matter what we do. I'm not suggesting that Nxe5 is going to win us the game (things look poor for us as it stands and losing the Queen is likely), but no combination of Qxe5 followed by Bd6 is going to go well for us.

DM Zero
Dec 8, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Qd7 is the best of the poor options we have. Kb7 is the only other alternative, which wins their Knight for our Queen shortly thereafter (a worse trade). We're assuredly going to lose our Knight and Queen here.

DM Zero
Dec 8, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Rxd7 is the superior move here. Capturing with the Knight leads to a likely pin of the knight and rendering the d8 Rook useless with a Rxd1 response from them and we have no good immediate way to resolve that, and they will continue to choke us out. It's better to lose the Knight here than to both lose the ability to not only move the Knight, without then losing the Rook for free to their own Rook. If we go Rxd7 and they take the Knight (likely), it's still bleak but we aren't 100% choked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DM Zero
Dec 8, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Bd6 to threaten the Queen.

I don't see the value of throwing the bishop away in Bc5 (even if they accept by taking the Bishop, it doesn't gain us anything from what I can tell. Even if we then make the Rook stack on the d-file, we'll never be able to execute it as the Queen is well entrenched and we will not be able to force it out.

c5 is probably going to be met with Qe8, pinning the Bishop.

• Locked thread