Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dizz posted:

Disgaea 5 chat because nobody asked.

Slowly making progress on this thing. From what I hear, It's about a quarter of the way to it's full potential, then I can play the game of "Rolling the dice on trying to duplicate it every 10-20 minutes or so" for all my characters.

I can't wait to have time to play this. It totally scratched the "I need FFT" itch on my PS4 and I'm willing to shell out the price again to have it portable. I keep hoping for more tactical games. Outside of the obvious Mario Rabbids game, I'm also looking forward to Tiny Metal and WarGroove. WarGroove looks a little thin on the surface but I'll probably give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I went physical with Spla2n even though I subscribe to the "MP games digitally" philosophy solely because of the 20% E3 discount. If I could have gotten that digitally I probably would have.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ghostwritingduck posted:

Any word on how big of a boost Snake Pass got with its 40 percent off? I was hoping for some news about the nice profit boost to encourage other indie developers to try some discounts.

I don't know how much of a boost it got but I think the sale price is pretty much what I think the game is worth, pricewise, so I'm glad I got in at that price point. Definitely a fun game though. If they released more stages I'd be all about DLC.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I love my Switch but every time I go into the Jungle or under a waterfall in BOTW and see the framerate tank I just kind of :smith: to myself.

Wonder how much of this is "it's just not a heavy lifting system" and how much of it is "crappy first gen programming" or a mix of the two.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's my thinking too. I don't think anyone expects it to run 60fps with PC-style ultra settings but I am excited to see when they actually get a great understanding of the hardware and optimize the everloving poo poo out of things.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My go-to watermark for improvement is how great Uncharted series looked over time on the PS3. If they can incrementally get those kinds of improvements on the Switch I'll be happy as hell.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nothing unplayable for sure. My intention wasn't to imply as such, just that there are visible framerate drops in certain high asset areas. It's usually more of an "ugh" than a "wow this is unplayable" feeling. The game has more than enough going for it in a four hour play session to make up for maybe twenty or thirty seconds of cumulative framerate drop.

My Switch has spent maybe five minutes undocked in all the time I've owned it though, and most of that was me squinting trying to make out the screen because of glare/sunlight. Clearly my rooftop party should have provided more shade.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Beastie posted:

All I know is that Psyonix said that RL will run 60fps both docked and handheld and that is pretty loving rad to me.

I'm not expecting this thing to be a powerhouse. I'll pick up the games that it does well and leave any other 3rd party games to my PS4 or XB1.

That's my feeling too. I think for the games I want on the Switch it'll run perfectly fine. I play very few AAA titles so I'm likely going to consolidate down from PS4 and Switch to just Switch in the next while. The more "whimsical" style of games that it attracts appeal to me far more than most AAA multi-platform titles.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Splatfest live I think? Go to hell, cake-eaters.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah, now I'm reminded that I'm not very good at Splatoon :ohdear:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh I have to be honest, I think based on this splatfest I don't see myself playing Splatoon enough to make it worth the $75CDN that Nintendo wants. Good that I realized this before it shipped I guess.

I really want to love this game but I'm never going to put in the time to get good and it'll be like Splatoon 1 all over again where it sits unused.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have a 5hr flight coming up next weekend and I'll probably bring my Switch. I don't really want to carry two chargers so I'm hoping that if my MBP's USB-C charger can charge a beefy laptop it will do well with the Switch. Should be good, right?

I'll just need to Amazon a stand if that's the case.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's what I figured. It's at the office so I can't test right now but I didn't know if I should immediately rule it out and pick up something switch-specific. Es bueno!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just bought Death Squared sight unseen to keep me busy on a five hour flight this weekend. Hope it's amazing. And now I hear Valley should be out soon :cool:

Sight unseen kind of false since I watched one youtube trailer before I bought :haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

Would kill for Lumines on Switch.

Oh my god why did you put this thought in my head :fap:

Also Rez plz.

The Bloop posted:

Yooka-Laylee instead when?

They just now posted to their kickstarter with a new update that says "we'll let you know!! :D" :fuckoff:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Completely forgot about Sonic Mania dropping on Tuesday too.

Too many games.

The Switch has too many games.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

Who the gently caress would build the insides of a giant camel robot like this

Does not bode well for my impending trip into a giant camel robot during my 5hr flight tomorrow.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nintendo I gave you untold riches, give me a pack of playing cards or something.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bought Sonic and I've been playing for five minutes here and there. As someone who never played the original and generally didn't play a lot of 8/16 bit stuff, this game is confusing. I'm still not sure what some of the game mechanics are which I'm sure are second nature to everyone who played it before. Like sometimes I mash some buttons and Tails lifts Sonic up and then sometimes I can break walls and then sometimes I just spin against a dead end or I hit an enemy and I toss my rings but then other times I hit an enemy and I kill them.

I feel like I just need to watch some kind of "sonic for idiots" youtube guide because I'm feeling kind of like a grampa who can't work a smartphone right now.

e: Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a great game and based on what I saw I think that once I figure out what the gently caress is happening on screen and equate it to things I can make my fingers do then I'll have a great time with it. Definitely feel it'll be worth my $27.something.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How many games do we currently have that care 3+ players which can use joycon limited controls? I've been thinking about picking up a second pair of cons for when friends come over. I'm guessing MK8D, maybe bomberman? Guessing the Mario Party will, whenever it comes out.

Tender Bender posted:

I don't really like how busy sonic levels are. The combination of many paths and stuff to do but you're supposed to blow by it instead of exploring it all just isn't my thing.

I don't mind the busy level design but that combined with not really understanding the mechanics means that :supaburn: STUFF IS HAPPENING ON SCREEN :supaburn: and I am barely able to follow :q:

irlZaphod posted:

Actually being able to get Tails to lift you is basically new to Sonic Mania (well, apparently the developer of the game who made the unofficial Sonic remakes way back had the Tails lifting in those too). I only knew abut it because I read someone in the Sonic Mania thread mention it. I think you press Up and hold the jump button or something. In the original Sonic 2 when they introduce Tails, you couldn't control him yourself, but he basically mimicked your actions.

Regarding walls, some of them are destructible, some of them aren't. Similarly, some of them have hidden passages in them.

For enemies, different enemies will have different hitboxes. Some you can't jump on top of, some you can't hit head on. Some will be timed, like they'll flash with electricity for a few seconds (there's one particularly annoying enemy like this in Studio Night Studiopolis Zone.

Thanks for this. I gathered some of this stuff and I think it's just a matter of becoming comfortable with it. Compared to games like SMB it just seems to toss you in the deep end right away. Well, at least a deeper end than I was expecting :)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 17, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I got my Switch after they supposedly fixed it and it still has that problem. How do I send it back?

Call Nintendo support, describe the problem, and they'll set up a repair.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

GoldfishStew posted:

OK time to talk chargers:

I thought I read something about Apple USB type C chargers loving up or giving the Switch error messsages. I'm trying to figure out what I should buy for charging my Switch on the go/on a plane. I currently own a 29W Apple USB Type C power adapter and was going to grab a C to C cable and call it a day. Would it be better to buy a second Nintendo plug adapter, like the one that comes with the system? Would it be better to get the Anker PowerCore+ 20100 USB-C, Ultra-High Capacity Premium Portable Charger, 20100mAh?

Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Anecdotally, my 60w charger seems to have worked okay with my switch but now you've got me worried :ohdear:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

creationist believer posted:

(I've only played Party pack 3) also, a few game types just work much better in person. For example, in JBPP3, there's a game where everyone receives the same instruction on their phone except one person who receives the instruction "try to blend in with everyone else". And the instructions are like "hold up the number of fingers for how many steaks you've eaten this week" or "raise your hand if you played a high school sport" or "point at the person most likely to fall in love with a mermaid". It was funny with old friends in the same room each time when the vegetarian held up 3 fingers, no one raised their hand including the lone jock, and everyone pointed at the guy whose favorite movie is Little Mermaid except his wife.

As the host, can I choose .. game modes (?) that would be more conducive to remote players or streams?

That would be great honestly. Have a mode that's optimized for local and a mode that's optimized for remote. I don't always have four other people willing to drop by at a moment's notice :[

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey Playtronic

Make with the Yooka-Laylee already

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I still have to do the loving robo-camel. Honestly I feel like I should do a few dozen more shrines to get my heart bar up a little but ehhh. Maybe I can do Ganon with what I have. This will probably be the first story-based game that I've finished since Fallout3.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

We are all trying to clear our plates for Mario + Rabbids, right

My initial goal was to clear it for Splatoon but I solved that by just not playing BotW and playing Splatoon instead.

Realistically I'll be trying to finish BotW by the end of the Switch lifecycle.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

News flash: Death Squared is a fun multiplayer game.

If you like fun get Death Squared.

If you hate fun then don't.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

XCom Mario is pretty great. I have a deep, visceral dislike of the Rabids and the weird random humour they're trying to inject. My Rabids annoyance curve really peaked to dangerous levels in the first five minutes of the game and after that it's just flatlined with a few blips here and there. Which was really my only worry when buying this game since everything else about it seemed 100% up my alley.

If they had used literally any other franchise other than the idiot Rabids this would be a perfect game.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This game looks .. not good. Next!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The loving textbook for my CISSP was more interesting than this, jesus.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh thank god it's over

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kelp dome looks pimp

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What the gently caress :stonk:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Infinitum posted:

Show us a loving date for Skyrim already

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

uggggghhhh Doom and Wolfenstein

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

corn on the cop posted:

"nazis taking over america"

:stare:

Subtle

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The classic Mario game nobody asked for.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

~~ SHOOK ~~

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

:stare: Take my money Square

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That music brought me right back to sitting in front of my TV in 1990-something playing FFT on PSX. Good memories.

• Locked thread