Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

chupacabraTERROR posted:

GSF is noticeably less offensive in 2018 versus 2008. I guess we all grew up?

cultural revolution did good things, plus there's been a couple waves of "okay the irony has gotten out of hand, lets give the mods full-auto banhammers for a bit" that helped sort people out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Yea, people are all "comms in Theta haven't gotten any better at all" and I'm like "Well, I haven't heard someone screaming the n word 20 times in a row just to be super edgy in years."

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

DrHammond posted:

At least we ditched jewing for krabbing.

Small progress is... progress.

RIP nigfleet

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Landsknecht posted:

RIP nigfleet

:colbert:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

CainFortea posted:

Yea, people are all "comms in Theta haven't gotten any better at all" and I'm like "Well, I haven't heard someone screaming the n word 20 times in a row just to be super edgy in years."

Theta comms definitely hasn't gotten better in the last 4 years.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Some goon on a gaming FB group I follow was saying that y'all have a few squads that lean heavily leftist culturally and politically.

C/D?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Unfortunately, the politically-vocal arm of Goonswarm had a friendly break with the whole and ended up starting their own corporation. Go check out Ten Dollar Bond if you're interested!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

That's still around?

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

DrHammond posted:

Some goon on a gaming FB group I follow was saying that y'all have a few squads that lean heavily leftist culturally and politically.

C/D?

From the wiki:

Do Not
Add words to the following list if you're not the CEO~
Use any of these dodgy phrases without proper irony and context:
spai
toon
iskies
toonies
dessies
corpies
content
o/
\o/
o7, 7o, o>, etc.
m8
newbro
(un)ironic racism
bullshit misogyny
MRA poo poo

entitled ratter whining
mommies
cuck
dank

He's probably just neckbearded-ly mad about the bolded items. Ask him for his opinions on SJWs and ~cultural marxists~ (don't do this)

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

gwrtheyrn posted:

I don't often join theta comms, but when I do and I hear the sort of poo poo i don't want to hear, I tell people to shut the gently caress up. If they start arguing, i hit record and wring my hands in anticipation of the results of whatever course of action I choose to follow.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

gwrtheyrn posted:

Yea, my entirely not made up example was two years ago. Try again.

Also, no reagelan so that ups the bar by like 2 points by itself.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DrHammond posted:

C/D?

the alliance as a whole roleplays being a fully automated luxury gay space communist paradise

in practice, from a certain point of view... it's actually a lot more like the Fascist Ideal: massive privately-owned military-industrial wealth, marshaled & supported by the All-Powerful State

maybe this proves the validity of horseshoe theory, or maybe it just means you shouldn't take real world political comparisons seriously in video games

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Landsknecht posted:

RIP nigfleet

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

the alliance as a whole roleplays being a fully automated luxury gay space communist paradise

in practice, from a certain point of view... it's actually a lot more like the Fascist Ideal: massive privately-owned military-industrial wealth, marshaled & supported by the All-Powerful State

maybe this proves the validity of horseshoe theory, or maybe it just means you shouldn't take real world political comparisons seriously in video games

There is not enough people for fascism, alliances are more like Greek city states.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I posted this in the wrong thread sorry

e: Here is some content: GSF is less offensive/unique now simply because it is mainly full of people from the general Eve Online population much more than people this forum.

GOOD TIMES ON METH fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 17, 2018

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

e: Here is some content: GSF is less offensive/unique now simply because it is mainly full of people from the general Eve Online population much more than people this forum.

ppffffhahahahahha

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I think its less offensive because a bunch of people grew up and realised their ironic racism and other bad jokes hadn't really been funny to begin with.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Turns out ironic racism was actually just racism ALL ALONG.

Test had a similar cultural shift, seemed to be 1 part edgelords deciding to go join one legion or another to 1 part our own cultural revolution. Has anyone else seen that shift in other groups in the game, or did TEST and Goons just go through similar experiences around the same time?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

CainFortea posted:

Yea, my entirely not made up example was two years ago. Try again.

Also, no reagelan so that ups the bar by like 2 points by itself.

The fact that you came back brought it back down two bars. If your only standard of "better" is 'doesn't use mean words' then fine it's better, but it's worse it almost every other regard. I mean the fact that we had to make minicom a thing should speak exactly to the quality of comms in general, it's not just theta that has gotten worse.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

chupacabraTERROR posted:

the jokes moved to a different type of stupid

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
also its benevolent dictator not fasc yall

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Cultural shift is likely due to the fact that no new kids are playing the game and every EVE player is now 30+ years old.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

gwrtheyrn posted:

The fact that you came back brought it back down two bars. If your only standard of "better" is 'doesn't use mean words' then fine it's better, but it's worse it almost every other regard. I mean the fact that we had to make minicom a thing should speak exactly to the quality of comms in general, it's not just theta that has gotten worse.

Minicom was created for mainfleet, Theta already had active internal oversight. Minicom promoted all Theta token-holders to moderators, but you could be in Theta leadership and not a member of Minicom (me, for example).

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Rust Martialis posted:

Minicom was created for mainfleet, Theta already had active internal oversight. Minicom promoted all Theta token-holders to moderators, but you could be in Theta leadership and not a member of Minicom (me, for example).

"Active"

Has barely been active since Ted quit

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I posted this in the wrong thread sorry

user post combo

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

gwrtheyrn posted:

"Active"

Has barely been active since Ted quit

You're one of those people who think "Guys I saw this movie and it was pretty cool" is like peak sperg aren't you?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

i see you have not yet experienced theta comms

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

DrHammond posted:

C/D?

for all the poo poo I give goonswarm for the literal thousands of offensive idiot pubbies it carries within and around the alliance, I will say one thing, and I will say it loud

join queerswarm

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Okay seriously this is a stupid debate. Anyone who thinks Theta comms is worse now than comms were years ago, is an abject retard.

Nobody is saying that Theta comms is great and inclusive. We're just saying poo poo used to be worse. A lot worse.
Let this end the debate.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
gently caress I remember back in 2012, literally any girl who dared speak up on comms, was told to get back in the kitchen to make sandwiches.

When that wasn't the case, you'd have half a dozen virgin fapping to the sound of said girl's voice. the word N***** was commonly used, every day multiple times a day. People who ratted were known as "jews" because we all know that only "jews" use money, right?

Seriously, get the gently caress out of here. Things have gotten much better, and with a little bit of reporting and telling people to shut the gently caress up, they'll keep improving.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

nice meltdown

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Viva Miriya posted:

nice meltdown

I'm tired, bored at work when I should be on a day off and my AC broke at home. I needed to angry post.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Dalael posted:

gently caress I remember back in 2012, literally any girl who dared speak up on comms, was told to get back in the kitchen to make sandwiches.

ah yes, the "totally different" theta comms that told me to get back in the kitchen in the year of our lord 2017

before the slurs burned me out and made me quit some of the mumble cops knew me by name and basically questioned why the gently caress i hung out in theta comms anyway

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Ad by Khad posted:

ah yes, the "totally different" theta comms that told me to get back in the kitchen in the year of our lord 2017

before the slurs burned me out and made me quit some of the mumble cops knew me by name and basically questioned why the gently caress i hung out in theta comms anyway

Personally i never really cared either way. But i do remember it being way way worse. The last few times I hung out in theta were pleasant by comparison.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Dalael posted:

Personally i never really cared either way. But i do remember it being way way worse. The last few times I hung out in theta were pleasant by comparison.

Theta has been going steadily downhill since gooniversity was founded. It used to be that new players were told to go to theta and ask for help and advice when they first got to deklein. The steady stream of :shobon: newbees seemed to make people more consistently behave and gave bittervets something to do besides argue about stupid ratting and mining drama. Circa 2014-2015 was the best theta comms ever were.

After the stream of newbees stopped it's just become cesspool of krabs and people who are too socially inept to find anyone else to talk to on mumble so they just go to the biggest open channel on the server.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Dalael posted:

Theta comms is worse now than comms were years ago

*nods sagely*

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

L0cke17 posted:

Theta has been going steadily downhill since gooniversity was founded. It used to be that new players were told to go to theta and ask for help and advice when they first got to deklein. The steady stream of :shobon: newbees seemed to make people more consistently behave and gave bittervets something to do besides argue about stupid ratting and mining drama. Circa 2014-2015 was the best theta comms ever were.

After the stream of newbees stopped it's just become cesspool of krabs and people who are too socially inept to find anyone else to talk to on mumble so they just go to the biggest open channel on the server.

I want to argue....

But those really were the best days
Theta is not as spergy as previous times but you are not wrong, the only people that hang out in theta now are ultra crabs only waiting to be saved from their own stupidity. Or socially inept fuckspoons.

I've gone full Ted and only hang in sub channels with chill nerds and only jump into main comms for poo poo hitting the fan or to smack bitches with a brush.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

The victim of our own success maybe

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

gwrtheyrn posted:

Someone recently on comms said "posting a link to theta jabber I thought was funny". Room searched, joined, clicked link, closed link, closed theta jabber.

L0cke17 posted:

Recent fireside offered exactly this advice. After having been squatting in there the last few weeks when this advice was offered I was very confused how it would even help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Salisbury Snape posted:

But those really were the best days
Theta is not as spergy as previous times but you are not wrong, the only people that hang out in theta now are ultra crabs only waiting to be saved from their own stupidity. Or socially inept fuckspoons.

I don't know if it's a euro thing or something, but in USTZ the active people on theta comms are mostly the ones doing the counter dropping. Or are frequently not making isk in ways that need counter drops. The people krabbing away wanting their poo poo saved are the ones that join comms after they get tackled.

• Locked thread