Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Bunko Stray Dogs has a little bit of that but only marginally, as it's two extra-legal organizations trying to outsmart each other rather than nation-states.

e: it's also overtly supernatural

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I am glad this thread exists to explain the show to me. I didn't realise the events of the second episode take place BEFORE the events of the first, and everything was extremely confusing as a result. I also didn't catch that the princess and Ange had swapped in the past, but I feel like that really should've been made more explicit. Maybe my subs weren't great..

I'm glad that someone pointed out it's by the geass dude so I can put my 4th dimensional chess plot hat on for future episodes.

Splode fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jul 20, 2017

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I mean it was pretty explicit if you pay attention. The duke calls the princess Charlotte and then at the roof she calls Ange Charlotte.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Splode posted:

I am glad this thread exists to explain the show to me. I didn't realise the events of the second episode take place BEFORE the events of the first, and everything was extremely confusing as a result. I also didn't catch that the princess and Ange had swapped in the past, but I feel like that really should've been made more explicit. Maybe my subs weren't great..

I'm glad that someone pointed out it's by the geass dude so I can put my 4th dimensional chess plot hat on for future episodes.

So you weren't tipped off by the fact that nobody knew eachother yet, she was going through her first day at a place you've already seen her have at least a day in, there was a character missing and there was a high amount of tension and distrust with regards to the two pairs of characters that we've already seen as friends? Not the subs fault.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Darth Walrus posted:

Technically, it originally showed up in HG Wells's 'The First Men in the Moon', but the look and the armada of Cavorite-powered battleships are all LXG.
The Cavorite sphere Ange carries seems to be based off of a model of the spacecraft from the 1964 movie version of The First Men in the Moon, so it appears to be a blend of influences. I dig it.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

So you weren't tipped off by the fact that nobody knew eachother yet, she was going through her first day at a place you've already seen her have at least a day in, there was a character missing and there was a high amount of tension and distrust with regards to the two pairs of characters that we've already seen as friends? Not the subs fault.

And the episode titles.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Tamba posted:

And the episode titles.

That requires reading, and I can't recall if they do english episode titles or if subbers add those in. If the subs are bad, it might not be a tell. The number definitely is though!

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I just use my family prime and pay for the 5 dollar sub

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Boy did I pick the right horse in choosing this series! :holymoley:

I would be terrified of doing spy work in real life!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Wow who knew you guys were all so mean

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Grouchio posted:

Boy did I pick the right horse in choosing this series! :holymoley:

I think those of us who recognized this show as good when we heard about it all deserve a pat on the back.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

http://0x0.st/Dpr.webm

El Psy Kongroo

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Same.

http://i.imgur.com/EROMZkQ.gifv

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Show continues to own.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah. Still not sure whether the show's building to anything I'll find all that memorable, but the journey itself is a lot of fun so far.

Homura and Sickle posted:

Alice - Saved by princess as a child, unending devotion to her according to the promotional materials. Didn't receive much characterization in the premiere but I expect her to shout daisuki at some point.

Also that didn't take long

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 23, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this show is starting off so fuckin good

i was worried they wouldn't do much to endear me to the cast but these first three episodes have done a lot to make me really like them

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The OP is so good. Everything about this show so far is so good.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Man, that's actually kind of a hosed up backstory for Beatrice

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Man, that's actually kind of a hosed up backstory for Beatrice

The explanation for her voice-changing ability is so brutally straightforward that it just worked. Well done, show.

Also I got some vibes of a homage to the ending of James Bond Goldfinger, but I'm probably reading into it too much
https://youtu.be/7pLoQRnJQiQ?t=106

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

AnacondaHL posted:

The explanation for her voice-changing ability is so brutally straightforward that it just worked. Well done, show.

I basically went "oh huh, that makes sensssaaaaaaaaaaaa :stonk: "

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
I just caught up up with this show and love it, one twist to the dynamic I like is OG Princess actually wanted to run away to live together in Casablanca but OG Ange wants to claim the throne and enact reforms so they can live openly. :sparkles:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Princess Principal 3

Lol. This is the yuri anime version of Casablanca or what? Hint: it doesn't end well.

And why her tactical spy suit have such a frilly mini skirt??

And let's discuss the socio-economical impact of printing money from an geostrategic opponent in a colony environment, wait...

A cute girl with a cute hat!! >_<

But seriously, the show walks a fine line between stupidity and worthwhile action/spy stuff.
In any case, this episode was done just to integrate Beato into the crew. To he honest, her tragic past feels like a flimsy excuse to have a spy-relevant skill for the group, being able to change her voice.
Also, I felt as if they exposed too much or too directly Ange feeling in the first scene, where it's clear she will lie to the princess and to herself into believing they can get to be queen, fix the country, and solve everything peacefully.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

Lol. This is the yuri anime version of Casablanca or what? Hint: it doesn't end well.

lies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kycok7UBpFo

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Oh god, I think their excuse for boarding the ship (the 'Abyssinian prince') is a loving reference to the Dreadnought Hoax, where a bunch of Cambridge students (including a cross-dressing Virginia Woolf) made themselves up in blackface and fancy dress, turned up at the Royal Navy's most powerful warship and were like 'this is the prince of abyssinia, he wants to take a look around', and the ship's officers fell for it and gave them a guided tour.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004
Goddamn, Beatrice is the most annoying. Endless himesamaaaaaaaa and other awful mannerisms. Show still owns tho

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
beato's cool

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

She loves the princess a lot and tries very very hard, please understand

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

why does their school uniform include a crotch target

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
https://my.mixtape.moe/owtbfl.webm

Whoops.

Three episodes in, and each one has been excellently put together. The setups and payoffs have all been top-notch.

AnacondaHL posted:

Watching her shove pliers into her throat while tearfully crying out for Princess made me wince and feel sad at the same time.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Geez, with the first two episodes being all about lies and deception i'm not sure i can trust everything in that first scene was completely sincere. Though I like how Princess does seem to legitimately plan on murdering her way to the top.

I'm guessing the first few episodes are going to be focus episodes for each member of the squad with episode 2 kinda counting as both Ange and Princess's. I think that's a good way of doing things. I'm more interested in the characters than this east v west London spy conflict anyway. The characters have all been good and cool thus far. Even Beatrice, that last scene of her playing along with Ange's lies was very nice. :3:

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Beatrice is good and I will fight anyone who says otherwise

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/tachicol_/status/889176855139434496?s=09

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah, ep1 was the culmination of the full team, the next few episodes will be about them assembling the team, and the final arc will be divisions and different motives amongst the members. From the OP, there'll be a reason why Ange ends up pointing a metaphorical gun at the other members of the team

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
it's her love gun

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Phobophilia posted:

Yeah, ep1 was the culmination of the full team, the next few episodes will be about them assembling the team, and the final arc will be divisions and different motives amongst the members. From the OP, there'll be a reason why Ange ends up pointing a metaphorical gun at the other members of the team

she's also a demon frog

and probably will betray her friends and country for her girlfriend

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

she's also a demon frog

and probably will betray her friends and country for her girlfriend

Is it really betraying her country if her girlfriend will soon be head of the country? In a way it could be betraying for the country.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Is it really betraying her country if her girlfriend will soon be head of the country? In a way it could be betraying for the country.

To be fair, it's not yet clear that Princess gives a flying poo poo about the country so much as she cares about not being separated from Ange.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So episode 1, upon looking back, was named [case 13 Wired Liar], while episodes 2 and 3 were considered [case 1] and [case 2].
It could therefore be surmised that our protagonists may certainly survive to the end of the season, (which i think is one-cour), and that if things go well we'll have a second season.

Pure speculation of course. The titles could be as honest as the Lizard Planet.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Or they could skip cases once the cast is introduced and go past 13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Have we seen much on the other side of the wall? Could be crawling with lizard people out there.

• Locked thread