Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
I just caught up up with this show and love it, one twist to the dynamic I like is OG Princess actually wanted to run away to live together in Casablanca but OG Ange wants to claim the throne and enact reforms so they can live openly. :sparkles:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
When Chise introduced herself as a samurai I briefly thought this alternative timeline might have had the Shogunate winning out and later dropping isolation decades later which would have been cool. But I guess in this alt-Japan they just delayed the struggle to the 1900's or there are some hardcore Golden Kamuy style holdouts here, but hey whatever gives us a plausible reason to have a samurai on the squad works.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
My desire for pointless background fluff wants a needless flashback to Chise's Dad witnessing a Cavorite powered flying navy version of the Commodore Perry's Expedition dropping in on Shogunate Japan. It would completely detract from the show, but be funny to watch.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Phobophilia posted:

Naw, he's the weakest part thus far. A counterintelligence operation would have suspected Princess as a traitor long ago. Team White Pigeon has pretty bad tradecraft. Instead, he just acts like a bastard for no reason (letting a rebel faction of a nominal ally run rampant in your territory looks terrible for you).

Everything else is great. Especially the animation, I love the detail of their swords getting progressively chipped over the course of the action, and everything during the climax of the episode.

I think the core theme of the show is on display: the value of suppressing personal feeling. Jubei and Chise are paralleled with Ange, as they have taken this attitude to an extreme. I suppose this is a way for a Japanese writer to try to examine the attitudes of his homeland in the past from another's perspective? Is it self-critical? Maybe, I mean, Jubei gave Beatrice a killing blow this episode with zero hesitation (Beatrice totally has a hidden agenda, pulling out a derringer and blasting away).

He isn't acting like a bastard for no reason, and how can something look terrible if no one knows about it?

As I understand it the Duke has only "allied" with the Shogunate to use as a catspaw to hobble the Princess, which is a practical goal to keep her as "Princess of Air" and not as a viable contender/tool for others. As the previous episode revealed Japan doesn't consider itself aligned with either side so it follows they don't know the Duke was involved in the assassination attempt, so while Chise is on loan as a quid pro quo asset to the Commonwealth Japan isn't hostile to the Kingdom.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

C-SPAN Caller posted:

New episode up

Dorothy episode too.

Jesus Christ that ending was gut wrenching even if predictable.

We even got to find that Dorothy got her code name from her mum!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Something I noticed;
After Princess hears about the experience of working in the morgue, during the next scene in the morgue we briefly see a veiled lady working there, who could it be?

• Locked thread