Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

EL BROMANCE posted:

Most likely my fault that I lost it, but I'd have thought writing

"{signature}

Deposited on {My Bank} mobile app on 5/19"

Would be enough to say 'this check has been deposited and is now worthless'. Like, I don't remember endorsements at all from home because nowhere would ever really pay you by check even in the 90s, but I worked in insurance and know enough level 1 flags that if someone came into my bank with a check that already said it had been deposited, with a name and address on it that they wouldn't have ID for... that screams fraud.

Like I know the system is too antiquated and broken to have things automatically pick up on stuff like the same check being cashed twice, so you'd think the people handling this stuff would have it drummed into their head.

My bank at least says it's out and out fraud and I should get my money back, while the companies bank are admitting they didn't pay attention to the email telling them which one to cancel.

E: sorry didn't see follow up reply. Really? That's loving madness that you can deposit a check in someone else's name. Like I'm sure it feels normal to you guys because it's all you know and grew up with, but the rest of the world works so much better than this.

My advice would be take it up with your bank AND the bank that accepted the check with the scribbled out/doctored endorsement. There's a good chance you're not getting that money back, but you have room to bitch at your bank/ask what the point of their digital/photo deposit system is if anyone can steal your already cashed checks and they'll be okay taking the money out of your account after the fact. Your bank especially would be the one that actually gives a gently caress about maintaining a relationship with you, if anyone actually does. Sorry about your bad luck. The stink you raise with the other bank is going to be less a "Give me my money" and more "The police need to investigate this and your manager needs to get in trouble for not properly training/supervising employees."Looks like you're already doing that though.
The idea behind "Anyone can cash an endorsed check if the person who it's written to endorses it," is largely to allow someone to manage accounts and money, like an elderly relative or child/dependent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

You are absolutely getting the money back and the bank that cashed the check with the fraudulent endorsement is 100% responsible for it. Your boss needs to go to her bank and file a claim, which is what it sounds like already happened, they just hosed it up on their end. This is just straight up banking regulations, not trying to leverage your customer relationship or whatever. Next time shred your checks after you deposit them.

But didn't OP's employer basically sign off on documents/not pay attention saying the fraudulently cashed deposit was who the check was intended for? But yeah the other bank is totally in violation of banking regs by letting someone deposit a clearly doctored check.

• Locked thread