Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I get paid via check, and always use the mobile app there and then to cash it. I write something like 'deposited via mobile app', the date, and my signature on the back. The previous Friday I had a bit of an issue with doing this for some reason as the app kept saying the amounts didn't match up, but it eventually went through.

2 days later, I get an adjustment for about $1,000 and I presume it's because of this check. I have money in another account to keep me going, so it didn't feel like the biggest deal that I'd just take the original check into the branch at some point and get it corrected.

Except, that's not what happened. The adjusted amount was actually for a check I cashed back in May. At some point, it appears that I've lost this check (it's either fallen out of my bag, or someone has spotted it somewhere/somehow and stolen it). I get a letter showing me the same check was cashed twice, about 3 weeks apart and scans of it. The one that was scanned later clearly has my note on the back crossed out and apparently was sent to a Back of America account (not my bank). My boss had noticed a double deposit of a check, contacted her bank and asked them to pull the one that was deposited last. Except they pulled it from me, for some reason. I'm guessing it's because the BoA account is now cleaned out and it's easier to take it from me?

So, I'm heading to the bank this afternoon and fingers crossed they'll be able to get it sorted. But in the meantime, I'm kinda intrigued as to how the hell this happened. I'm not use to the American banking system, as Europe is direct deposits and instant transfers and I haven't seen a check for about 15 years before moving here. Surely to cash a check in my name, someone would've had to have opened an account in that name (and I have my address on the check too, so something to prove that too?) as well as being able to explain why it says it was deposited in another bank already on the back (I think I can make out an initial on it, so someone has cleared this). The whole thing screams fraud, but somehow someone has 1. had the balls to do this, and 2. some worker has been stupid enough to let it happen. Even the fact that I've somehow lost this check and it didn't just remain lost/end up in someone who isn't a crooks hands, feels pretty damned unlucky.

Every pay check I get from now on is getting VOID stamped on the front

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Most likely my fault that I lost it, but I'd have thought writing

"{signature}

Deposited on {My Bank} mobile app on 5/19"

Would be enough to say 'this check has been deposited and is now worthless'. Like, I don't remember endorsements at all from home because nowhere would ever really pay you by check even in the 90s, but I worked in insurance and know enough level 1 flags that if someone came into my bank with a check that already said it had been deposited, with a name and address on it that they wouldn't have ID for... that screams fraud.

Like I know the system is too antiquated and broken to have things automatically pick up on stuff like the same check being cashed twice, so you'd think the people handling this stuff would have it drummed into their head.

My bank at least says it's out and out fraud and I should get my money back, while the companies bank are admitting they didn't pay attention to the email telling them which one to cancel.

E: sorry didn't see follow up reply. Really? That's loving madness that you can deposit a check in someone else's name. Like I'm sure it feels normal to you guys because it's all you know and grew up with, but the rest of the world works so much better than this.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah my company doesn't do direct deposit full stop. The 'take a photo of the check to cash it' seemed a cute solution to a problem that shouldn't really exist.

• Locked thread