Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Made In Abyss is an adaptation of an ongoing fantasy/adventure manga by Akihito Tsukushi (artist/character designer for Elebits). The story follows orphaned spelunker Riko (Miyu Tomita) and amnesiac android Reg (Mariya Ise) as they explore a mysterious, bottomless hole called The Abyss. Animation is being done by Kinema Citrus with Masayuki Kojima (Black Bullet, Tibetan Dog) directing and Hideyuki Kurata (Samurai Flamenco, TWGOK) handling series composition.

The series is streaming in the US on Amazon's AnimeStrike, every Friday. HIDIVE is streaming the series in the UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africe, Central America, and South America Fridays at 2PM UTC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Couldn't help myself and binged all available chapters after seeing the first episode.

This could be my anime of the season if they keep up the quality of the first episode.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

HellCopter posted:

Couldn't help myself and binged all available chapters after seeing the first episode.

This could be my anime of the season if they keep up the quality of the first episode.

I'm in the same boat as you. The manga is absolutely gorgeous, and it's really nice to see that translate into a well-produced and briskly-paced anime adaptation.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Nice
shitpost
tag

...but that's some good art. :shobon:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This show is gorgeous. Looking forward to seeing how the story develops.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i cannot believe how high quality the anime adaptation is. the sound track, the animation, the background, the pacing, the subtle details. so drat good

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Nnaa

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I get the whole vertical aesthetic thing they were going for, but the school desks on the wall was pretty :rolleyes: lol.

That's it, that's the only nitpick I have so far. This poo poo is good.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
That first episode is extremely well-produced and is super great in basically every respect, so I went ahead and read the series as it exists right now!

And wow! This is one of the most profoundly discomforting things I've ever read!

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Ominous. Should make the thread more interesting though! Is that the reason for the shitpost tag or was that an error?

I stopped reading after they started their descent (spoiler, they go on a journey into the Abyss) because that was around the time the anime was announced and so far it looks like that was a good call; show's loving gorgeous.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The shitpost tag wasn't intentional, but could always end up fitting posts made im the thread. :cheeky:

Just to address that particular bit of discussion around the series: It has body horror and some blood/gore you could reasonably expect for a series about survivalism. Having no idea what the anime will change (it has already made some changes), it's anyone's guess how this will be carried through.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I'm just gonna avoid the thread since it seems it will be rife with manga spoilers. :sigh:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm just gonna avoid the thread since it seems it will be rife with manga spoilers. :sigh:

Please don't, I'm basically here to read people's reactions and collect gifs

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I don't think there's any reason for people to post stuff from the manga, whether spoilertagged or not. It would also be cool if we could avoid the sort of thing above where manga readers are in here going :allears: at anime watchers.

e: though there are some volume bonus lore pages I might put up as they become relevant.

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 12, 2017

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Really liked the first episode and hope the quality continues throughout the series. Good art, good music, interesting setting so far.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
First episode was really great. Impressive art, and satisfying music and sound effects (Reg clanks some good clanks)!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I won't post any.

HellCopter posted:

I'm basically here to read people's reactions

:frogout:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dogsicle posted:

It would also be cool if we could avoid the sort of thing above where manga readers are in here going :allears: at anime watchers.

For the love of god, this please.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Srice posted:

For the love of god, this please.

:allears:

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Man reacts to Made in Abyss episode 2 while riding bike [asmr]

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

people should watch alien nine

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I've been a fan of Tsukushi ever since back when they did the character designs for Akazukin, so I immediately recognized his work here and immediately became a fan of this show. Only one episode in, and they've already done a pretty good job of building a looming, ominous tone underneath all of the beauty.

Davincie posted:

Yes.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Davincie posted:

That was the weirdest metaphor for puberty I've ever seen. I'm gonna go read the manga now.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the vocal tracks on this show are wild as hell, that's all i got

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

That was the weirdest metaphor for puberty I've ever seen. I'm gonna go read the manga now.

How much weirder than FLCL are we talking? Because that sounds pretty weird.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

chiasaur11 posted:

FLCL's metaphorical depiciton of puberty wasn't as, let's say, stressful as Alien Nine's.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

chiasaur11 posted:

PSA: Don't bother reading Alien Nine. It's only 3 volumes + a later epilogue volume, but it ends rather confusingly and doesn't seem to have any actual point to it, as in, the main character doesn't really resolve her character arc in any sort of meaningful way.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the manga's fine and the added mutations and such are really good, but it does hurt not having the voice acting or great visual directing. also the emulators sequel is a bit unneeded

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Good god, this is just fantastically well crafted. But, the buzz around it and some world building details seem to imply bad things may happen to these squishy orphans and I'm not sure I can deal. :ohdear:

In to it for the time being anyway!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I really liked the first ep. Only real nitpicks I had were the 2 frame/second motion on the flying beast after robotboy shot it, and that while the music works because the setting is really off-kilter, and it adds to that atmosphere...in isolation, a lot of the tracks were a cacophony of instruments that didn't blend well at all. On the plus side, lots of little details in the art and animation, and a pretty good setup. I love the artstyle, and I'm excited for Saturday!

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Ep 2: the curse of the abyss is just altitude sickness, right? Or, I guess, pressure sickness?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

rincewind101 posted:

Ep 2: the curse of the abyss is just altitude sickness, right? Or, I guess, pressure sickness?

No, it's an actual curse/magic. Different layers have different effects, and they activate instantly when you ascend more than a few meters. Going up slowly doesn't help.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The show should get more in depth on it later, but yeah it's basically magic? altitude (depth?) sickness with its own set of side effects.

e: actually i guess it's more like the bends

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 14, 2017

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

rincewind101 posted:

Without going into too much detail, it very much isn't. Or at least, altitude/pressure sickness is the tip of the iceberg..

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Neat/unsettling that they're portraying cave raiding as both a source of national identity and also basically a religion.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I'm getting Lovecraftian vibes from this upcoming exploration adventure. Also they're sooooo never coming back from their exploration, except Reg. My guess is that he's the one that brought up the letter from the Netherworld, and then maybe curiosity made him keep ascending?

/edit
Ep2 was so much better without the constant "in your face" music. It was good scores in ep1, but way too overbearing and obnoxious. Hopefully it stays toned down a bit.

/edit2
IMHO!!!!

Popoto fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 14, 2017

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

rincewind101 posted:

The effects made me think of radiation sickness, but I can't remember if it was worded such that it only affects you coming back up, which wouldn't make sense.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Daedalus1134 posted:

it only affects you coming back up, which wouldn't make sense.

That's exactly how it works though.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Daedalus1134 posted:

The effects made me think of radiation sickness, but I can't remember if it was worded such that it only affects you coming back up, which wouldn't make sense.

just think of it like the bends/decompression sickness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

AnacondaHL posted:

I get the whole vertical aesthetic thing they were going for, but the school desks on the wall was pretty :rolleyes: lol.

That's it, that's the only nitpick I have so far. This poo poo is good.

I thought the classroom was a cool thing. It shows how their whole society is built around this big pit, and they even make their classrooms in its image.

• Locked thread