Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011

Taear posted:

This is what someone on an anime board elsewhere said to me. It doesn't matter that it's "just a few times". One time is enough, especially with this particular thing.
The "what's happening to your penis" bit was so unnecessary. The other bits you can almost chalk up to being weird "different culture" jokes, but not that one.
I will agree that it wasn't really necessary, and the way it's presented is in poor taste.
However, I will make a counterpoint that in a show where these 12 year olds happily and knowingly goes on a suicide trip to witness and experience death and suffering the thing people loose their mind over is that they are beginning to be slightly sexually aware as soon-to-be-teenagers somewhat silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

cosmo321 posted:

I will agree that it wasn't really necessary, and the way it's presented is in poor taste.
However, I will make a counterpoint that in a show where these 12 year olds happily and knowingly goes on a suicide trip to witness and experience death and suffering the thing people loose their mind over is that they are beginning to be slightly sexually aware as soon-to-be-teenagers somewhat silly.

It has nothing to do with their sexual awareness and everything to do with the way the author handles their sexuality. Not to mention the incredibly blatant fetish elements.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I won't make excuses for the author's festishes, those are blatant enough, but I do agree that it is silly that someone could watch a show where a girl bleeds from every orifice, has her arm swell up all gross-like, and nearly has that arm messily amuptated by a stone and think, "oh geez, I better not recommend this to anyone without warning them that they talk about dicks and show pee a couple times. Nobody wants to watch that." I completely understand that mentality given the puritan history of so many countries and the normalization of violence, but it is so dumb on its own.

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I won't make excuses for the author's festishes, those are blatant enough, but I do agree that it is silly that someone could watch a show where a girl bleeds from every orifice, has her arm swell up all gross-like, and nearly has that arm messily amuptated by a stone and think, "oh geez, I better not recommend this to anyone without warning them that they talk about dicks and show pee a couple times. Nobody wants to watch that." I completely understand that mentality given the puritan history of so many countries and the normalization of violence, but it is so dumb on its own.
Yes, this is what I'm trying to convey.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

But the violence is part of the fetishism. Or is that the joke. I'm pretty sure the guy just cited the dick thing because that's way less uncomfortable to type out than "they make sure you understand that it's blood out of every orifice"

Someone needs to take a permaban for the team and post that page from the manga so no one is under any illusion of where the author's predilections lie and why certain things are the way they are

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I didn't watch the show because I read a large chunk of the manga and got completely creeped out. It is very pervasive in the source material and was impossible to ignore, from my perspective. I felt like due to the source the show was not something I could support or comfortably watch at all even if they did attempt to tone it down.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Drink every time Riko pisses herself (don't you will get cirrhosis)

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Yeah, obviously there is a huge thing to pick apart vis-a-vis attitudes to violence and sexuality in media. But it's one thing for horrible things to happen to children in art/film/literature because the creator is trying to convey a message or make a point, and because the author is just working with one hand and getting off with the other.

Perceived intention behind any kind of art or entertainment is obviously a bit controversial, and you can choose to totally divest the two from each other and just assess the art in itself if you want, but most people can't help but see the latter in the light of the former. I can't stop noticing all the close up foot shots in Tarantino, for example.

Anyway, if anybody is coming into this thread thinking about watching this, but getting worried about how descending into the "Abyss" is just code for a journey into a child sex/torture fetishist's imagination, it's not as bad as all that. But it will be a light powdering of dirt over your delicious pudding (the pudding represents your enjoyment of this good show) if you're sensitive to that sort of thing. Or a powdering of sugar if that's what you're into I guess.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Xy Hapu posted:

But the violence is part of the fetishism. Or is that the joke. I'm pretty sure the guy just cited the dick thing because that's way less uncomfortable to type out than "they make sure you understand that it's blood out of every orifice"

Someone needs to take a permaban for the team and post that page from the manga so no one is under any illusion of where the author's predilections lie and why certain things are the way they are

But if the stuff from the manga didn't actually make it onto the screen, why does it matter? Death of the Author and all that. If I'm talking to a friend about the anime, what happened in the manga isn't really going to impact that conversation because frankly it's usually a hard enough sell to get people to watch anime in the first place, much less read manga.

I'm also curious about people's definitions here. When people talk about sexualization and fan service, I'm usually thinking about things like close up panty shots, big bouncing breasts, the seemingly obligatory beach or hot springs scene where all the female cast are shown with water just above their nipples, and so on. Things obviously meant to titillate without any particular significance to the story.

And maybe I've just gotten desensitized over the years, but I don't feel Made in Abyss was really doing that. The stuff with Riku analyzing Reg's penis was clearly intended as humor and not sexual, and if you don't think that twelve year olds aren't curious about stuff like that, you don't remember being twelve. It certainly wasn't shot in a way to make Reg a sex object. It even serves a story purpose because it highlights how, in the beginning, Riku doesn't consider Reg a person with feelings, but a device to be poked and prodded and taken apart if need be, which contrasts to where they are towards the end of the season where they're friends and companions instead of mistress and robot servant.

Likewise the "bleeding from every orifice" and the urination shots aren't done in way to make them appealing or sexual, they're in horrible moments that highlight, despite the show's usual cutesy demeanor, that what Riku and Reg are doing is incredibly dangerous and that even the slightest mistake can lead to dire consequences.

Even the bits with Riku walking around naked aren't particularly sexual, because no one reacts with "drat, you fine" or anything. Everyone else is embarrassed and like "get dressed you drat nudist!" Again, it's humor. Frankly the only thing overtly sexual that I noticed was that blink and you'll miss it shot of Riku tied up naked as punishment for not paying attention in class.

Which isn't to say that those things can't make someone uncomfortable even if they didn't make me so. Desensitization's a bitch sometimes, and stuff that makes me shrug might make you cringe. It is what it is.

The thing is there are so many shows that are so much more blatant about their fan service and their sexualization of their characters, even on shows that I enjoy like Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, which is an otherwise charming little show that makes me sigh every time Lucoa shows up to traumatize Shouta with her huge breasts, that I have a hard time getting worked up over what we get in Made in Abyss. :shrug:

But that may just be me.

My question, then, is what stuff in Made in Abyss (the anime only, please) are we talking about as "sexualization" and "fetishized" anyhow?

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 16, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

jng2058 posted:

But if the stuff from the manga didn't actually make it onto the screen, why does it matter? Death of the Author and all that. If I'm talking to a friend about the anime, what happened in the manga isn't really going to impact that conversation because frankly it's usually a hard enough sell to get people to watch anime in the first place, much less read manga.

I'm also curious about people's definitions here. When people talk about sexualization and fan service, I'm usually thinking about things like close up panty shots, big bouncing breasts, the seemingly obligatory beach or hot springs scene where all the female cast are shown with water just above their nipples, and so on. Things obviously meant to titillate without any particular significance to the story.

And maybe I've just gotten desensitized over the years, but I don't feel Made in Abyss was really doing that. The stuff with Riku analyzing Reg's penis was clearly intended as humor and not sexual, and if you don't think that twelve year olds aren't curious about stuff like that, you don't remember being twelve. It certainly wasn't shot in a way to make Reg a sex object. It even serves a story purpose because it highlights how, in the beginning, Riku doesn't consider Reg a person with feelings, but a device to be poked and prodded and taken apart if need be, which contrasts to where they are towards the end of the season where they're friends and companions instead of mistress and robot servant.

Likewise the "bleeding from every orifice" and the urination shots aren't done in way to make them appealing or sexual, they're in horrible moments that highlight, despite the show's usual cutesy demeanor, that what Riku and Reg are doing is incredibly dangerous and that even the slightest mistake can lead to dire consequences.

Even the bits with Riku walking around naked aren't particularly sexual, because no one reacts with "drat, you fine" or anything. Everyone else is embarrassed and like "get dressed you drat nudist!" Again, it's humor. Frankly the only thing overtly sexual that I noticed was that blink and you'll miss it shot of Riku tied up naked as punishment for not paying attention in class.

Which isn't to say that those things can't make someone uncomfortable even if they didn't make me so. Desensitization's a bitch sometimes, and stuff that makes me shrug might make you cringe. It is what it is.

The thing is there are so many shows that are so much more blatant about their fan service and their sexualization of their characters, even on shows that I enjoy like Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, which is an otherwise charming little show that makes me sigh every time Lucoa shows up to traumatize Shouta with her huge breasts, that I have a hard time getting worked up over what we get in Made in Abyss. :shrug:

But that may just be me.

My question, then, is what stuff in Made in Abyss (the anime only, please) are we talking about as "sexualization" and "fetishized" anyhow?

If it's not obvious to you, you're definitely very desensitized my friend.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

There Bias Two posted:

If it's not obvious to you, you're definitely very desensitized my friend.

I concede that as a possibility. I've been in the anime game a long time.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Command Ant posted:

This description of me is untrue to the point of being slanderous.

Since it's in writing, it would be libelous.

:goonsay:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

also death of the author is a largely defunct literary argument

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Im getting annoyed by all these claims of the characters being ‘sexualized’. This isnt NGNL, stop treating it as such. There is a significant difference between a character being partially nude for narrative reasons, and being sexualized to satisfy audience fetishes.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

:whitewater:

Namtab fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 16, 2017

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

jng2058 posted:

But if the stuff from the manga didn't actually make it onto the screen, why does it matter?

It's in the anime, and yes it is mildly concerning it didn't raise a flag! Though they do blow by the scene pretty quick. I have zero desire to go look for where it is, but if it helps, it segues into a hilarious gag where a highly embarrassed Reg ends up holding a pair of (blood-drenched) girl pants in his hands. You would think that Riku would then wake up, screech shrilly, then comically punch him into a wall, but disappointingly she just lies there naked whilst bleeding from the crotch. Thankfully they photoshopped out the prepubescent boob from the scene, rendering it completely ambiguous and open to interpretation.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

jng2058 posted:

jng2058 posted:

:thunk:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i hate all of you

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

ViggyNash posted:

Im getting annoyed by all these claims of the characters being ‘sexualized’. This isnt NGNL, stop treating it as such. There is a significant difference between a character being partially nude for narrative reasons, and being sexualized to satisfy audience fetishes.

This is really dismissive of how uncomfortable those scenes have made multiple people.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Command Ant posted:

This description of me is untrue to the point of being slanderous.

ok

you're a loving disgusting human being that has defended jontron and believes in every aspect of gamergate

is that better

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

What narrative reason forces them to strip Riko to (at best) underwear practically every episode? Like, don't be a loving rear end. There's also constant self-aware sexual humour between ostensibly 10-11 year olds, which is plainly sexualisation.

I just came off a jury for multiple child rape for girls of that age and younger, so perhaps I'm being a little curt, but you have to be loving willfully blind not to see how there are repeated sexually charged situations and frequent incidences of bathing/stripping scenes for no good reason. If you didn't get a clue at the start with the strung up naked orphan bondage, you're already a no-hoper, so don't bother.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I think it's possible to hold the opinion that 95% of a work is Really Good and worth experiencing, and at the same time 5% of it is Despicable Garbage. That's the view I have of Made in Abyss, and same goes with the -monogatari series.

Weather or not that makes the work unreadable/unwatchable as a whole is up to the viewer, but from my point of view the author is clearly sexualizing/fetishizing children in parts of MiA. Shaking my drat head at anyone trying to defend it as innocent. The work would be much better off without that poo poo. That's my two cents.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I'd recommend Made in Abyss with those explicit scenes cut out.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Annointed posted:

I'd recommend Made in Abyss with those explicit scenes cut out.

The very fact that you can cut out most of the problematic sections without losing much doesn't bode well for their supposed merit either.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i thought they were funny bits

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
There is nothing offensive or sexualizing in Made in Abyss, what the hell are y'all talking about?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I Love Annie May posted:

There is nothing offensive or sexualizing in Made in Abyss, what the hell are y'all talking about?

they're talking about the bit with the naked children in it, which is haram

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
still yet to hear exactly why 'some people' are made uncomfortable by the the parts with where the protognanists are without clothes and naked and feel embarrassed. Which is why it's funny. I dunno, I somehow getting the feeling that it's not just about the underaged in the staet of undress that are the issue here

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

lollontee posted:

I dunno, I somehow getting the feeling that it's not just about the underaged in the staet of undress that are the issue here

Ding ding ding, you're getting warmer.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

And the award for "Funniest Scene" goes to...Pantyshot of child in agonising pain pissing self! COME ON UP HERE!!!

What was your inspiration behind such a deeply moving and narratively critical, yet also hilarious scene?

*author scoots across stage in tux with no pants or underwear, beating off and ejaculating over podium*

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

Jeza posted:

And the award for "Funniest Scene" goes to...Pantyshot of child in agonising pain pissing self! COME ON UP HERE!!!

What was your inspiration behind such a deeply moving and narratively critical, yet also hilarious scene?

*author scoots across stage in tux with no pants or underwear, beating off and ejaculating over podium*

If you felt unconfortable during that scene that's only your problem, not the author's. Also, it's definetly not ultimate proof that he's a pedophile.

I Love Annie May fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 17, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I Love Annie May posted:

If you felt unconfortable during that scene that's only your problem, not the author's.

No, you're wrong here. Being desensitized to blatantly disgusting poo poo isn't some badge of honor. It's good to keep enough perspective to say, "Gee, that didn't actually add any value to the story whatsoever."

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

No, you're wrong here.

Made in Abyss is rated R17 in Japan. It aired during nighttime on a satellite channel for adult audiences. It's the adaptation of a manga that both audiences in Japan and the west knew that was unsuitable for children. If you legitimately didn't know about that, then I'm sorry for you but no author in the world has to change his vision just because you feel uncomfortable, you don't have the right to do so. And if you happen to watch something that makes you squeamish you have no one else to blame but you.

There Bias Two posted:

Being desensitized to blatantly disgusting poo poo isn't some badge of honor.

And not being desensitized isn't a badge of honor either, it's just your tastes.

I Love Annie May fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 17, 2017

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

I Love Annie May posted:

The real problem with Mineta isn't that he is a "pervert", on the contrary he is one of the "straightest" males in the story, but rather that his very reasonable desire to connect with the opposite gender even on a sexual level gets neglected by others, whether they are other characters in the manga or its readers, and he's basically left on his own to figure out these pulsions and desires without any kind of guidance. And when Mineta inevitably does something that can't be ignored by others anymore, instead of being understood and educated in managing his sexuality, he's scolded by his peers and superiors, while readers take their turns blaming him of the sin of being interested in the opposite gender. Then, when both the readers and the characters are done blowing off steam, they continue pretending that Mineta doesn't exist until he does something that can't be ignored again and the cycle continues.

In a just world, Mineta's friend and teachers would recognize his feelings as valid and natural, and they would help him find a way to express them without hurting or molesting others. Unfortunately, this world is anything but just, so people's reactions to Mineta shift between "boys will be boys" and "how dare you molest this defenseless girl" and a war rages between these two sides. Most goons end up choosing the latter because they feel ashamed of their sexuality and don't want to be ostracized by their liberal peers, so they think that the "respect women" side is the "correct" one. What they don't realize is that both points of view are just two sides of the same coin, a coin called "rape culture".

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Oh, okay, thanks.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Mineta is trash and Made In Abyss is good as hell and I don’t care to know what’s in the manga

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I Love Annie May posted:

If you felt unconfortable during that scene that's only your problem, not the author's. Also, it's definetly not ultimate proof that he's a pedophile.

Why not just take 2 seconds to search the author's name and look at the MiA stuff he's drawn. Or just read the manga. He's free to draw what he wants but that doesn't change the reality that MiA has some pretty skeevy stuff in it, why can't we just accept that if a person who draws sexualized naked children has naked children in his work it's probably not because he thinks naked children are funny. Maybe there is a sliver of an argument here if the anime was in complete isolation, but it shares identical scenes with the manga that make the intent less ambiguous, and the author himself's leanings are abundantly clear. Why in the face of all evidence is this terrible discussion still happening :psyduck:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Xy Hapu posted:

Why not just take 2 seconds to search the author's name and look at the MiA stuff he's drawn. Or just read the manga. He's free to draw what he wants but that doesn't change the reality that MiA has some pretty skeevy stuff in it, why can't we just accept that if a person who draws sexualized naked children has naked children in his work it's probably not because he thinks naked children are funny. Maybe there is a sliver of an argument here if the anime was in complete isolation, but it shares identical scenes with the manga that make the intent less ambiguous, and the author himself's leanings are abundantly clear. Why in the face of all evidence is this terrible discussion still happening :psyduck:

Because he really needs to believe it isn't true for his own peace of mind, it seems.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

Xy Hapu posted:

Naked kids != child porn

Hope this helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the posts yesterday about this ended up fine but come the gently caress on, are we really gonna do this petty digging through post history poo poo?

• Locked thread