Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

Also if she really is the daughter of the amazing cave diver, and is an incredible case-study of what happens to someone born below the surface, how come she ended up at this last-resort orphanage? Like, really? No one was available to take her in? No next of kin, not even some government or organization that wants to study her, nothing?

Lyza knew the people there, Leader even learned from her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I mean, they put her in the training-from-infancy-to-become-a-cave-raider orphanage. Presumably they could have just left her with her aunt if they didn't give a gently caress.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I didn't think it was a last-resort orphanage, I think she was put there on purpose. Her mother was a diver & national hero and presumably planned to return some day. She was probably using it more like a daycare.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean, sounds like artefacts make up a large percentage of the city's economy, so really they're just investing in the future. Plus, maybe the rest of her family were also Raiders and the attrition rate seems pretty high...

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Riko is good at riceballs :3:

I really like these and I'm looking forward to someone turning into a mossy rock

Command Ant posted:

Listening to how Rico examined Reg when he was still asleep and his reactions to it were hilarious. From the way she was described, she's very much her mother's daughter.

I really like how they do Reg's extending robo-arm, particularly the sound effects.

:agreed: The robot sounds are really good

Oh oh, that scene where she's watching the birds was good too

Knorth fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 17, 2017

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

Also if she really is the daughter of the amazing cave diver, and is an incredible case-study of what happens to someone born below the surface, how come she ended up at this last-resort orphanage? Like, really? No one was available to take her in? No next of kin, not even some government or organization that wants to study her, nothing?

Wasn't it mentioned in the first episode that some of the orphans there have parents who were cave raiders? Or is it just the MC? Also, I assume if there were any sort of next of kin, she'd be with them.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Ok I gave this an episode because there's poo poo all this season and it was pretty well made.

I was going to avoid this cus I heard it was just doing the shtick of introducing a bunch of cutesy kids then swerving into maximum EDGE for shock value. So before I get invested, on a scale of 1 to Narutaru, how much EDGE does this swerve?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
As somebody who has read all of Narutaru, I can safely inform you this doesn't get half as EDGE as Narutaru. I wouldn't even really describe Made in Abyss as EDGEY, but rather just a weird case combining cutesy character designs with horror elements, which causes some people's brains to break, like the games posters who think Shantae is for pedophiles because it has a cartoony artstyle and there's sexy characters in it.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Ok .5 Narutarus should do. Let's hope this doesn't go creeper-route.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
so is this basically Terraria the anime?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I'm guessing more Spelunky the anime.

Probably a similar mortality rate too.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Sakamoto Maaya on narration is okhand

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I assume mail will only be able to go one way?

How are they going to tell those two that that little kid died on his birthday???

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Write it on a brick and get a lucky throw?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Also how many episodes is this getting? Pacing seems kind of slow for one season.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Explore my bottomless hole

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Pavlov posted:

Also how many episodes is this getting? Pacing seems kind of slow for one season.

13 episodes and it'll probably cover all 50-odd chapters that are currently scanned, based on stuff in the OP. i would say pacing so far has been comparatively fast, but i haven't seen today's ep.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

It's been slow if they want to get to the bottom in one season. It'd be like an episode a cave level then a finale. Right now feels like they're pacing for two seasons.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

dogsicle posted:

13 episodes and it'll probably cover all 50-odd chapters that are currently scanned, based on stuff in the OP. i would say pacing so far has been comparatively fast, but i haven't seen today's ep.

Today's episode wrapped up volume 1.
It will probably end with volume 5, chapter 38, unless they go for an original ending. Chapter 42 was only released this week and it's a monthly series.

Pavlov posted:

It's been slow if they want to get to the bottom in one season. It'd be like an episode a cave level then a finale. Right now feels like they're pacing for two seasons.

The manga is still running and they haven't reached the end yet. 3 episodes per layer on average would be closer.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I assume mail will only be able to go one way?

How are they going to tell those two that that little kid died on his birthday???

They can send balloons up, but if you want to send a message down, somebody has to deliver it to make sure it arrives. The Abyss is pretty large and irregular.
Even the balloons aren't guaranteed to make it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

It will probably end with volume 5, chapter 38, unless they go for an original ending. Chapter 42 was only released this week and it's a monthly series.

oh wait i guess i super misremembered the number of chapters lol. my bad

38 is even more doable for a one cour adaptation

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Lurking Haro posted:

The manga is still running and they haven't reached the end yet. 3 episodes per layer on average would be closer.

They can send balloons up, but if you want to send a message down, somebody has to deliver it to make sure it arrives. The Abyss is pretty large and irregular.
Even the balloons aren't guaranteed to make it.

Wait so this won't have a proper ending? Now I'm kinda put off about watching...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

StarMinstrel posted:

Wait so this won't have a proper ending? Now I'm kinda put off about watching...

Like Attack on Titan, it apparently has a good endpoint at the current pace and expected episode count. Not, like, an ending of the story, but a solid end to an important arc.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

StarMinstrel posted:

As dogsicle said, the opening is showing stuff up to the arc that ends with volume 5.
They might always throw in an original ending, but the pacing suggests an open ending.

-e-
My research says it's only a 12 episode cour?

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 22, 2017

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Its about the journey not the destination.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
From the way he told Reg to look after her, it's clear that Leader realized that Rico was going to follow her mother the second that letter and whistle were brought out of the Abyss. That was a really sentimental scene... all things considered.

I'm still loving the noise Reg's arms make when the reels them back in.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I started skipping through bits of this episode. It was reiterating a bit too much, and I have no reason to care about the side characters.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

So how many 10 year olds do you guys think die a year in that hole repelling solo down sheer cliffs?

Or do you think they just don't count them

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Pavlov posted:

So how many 10 year olds do you guys think die a year in that hole repelling solo down sheer cliffs?

Or do you think they just don't count them

Novices are only allowed down to 450m, which has easy terrain and a low chance of encountering monsters from further down. They are additionally given a depth limit for each mission based on their performance and skills.
They also have rescue parties to search for missing delvers in the first layer.

I've noticed people saying how hosed up that orphanage is, but the whole city is built around exploring the Abyss. They actually prepare them pretty well and the first layer isn't much different from the alpine meadows, with the biggest risk getting sick climbing back out.
The curse is setting in after just a few meters of ascending, so if you can't handle walking back up, you won't handle rock climbing anyway.

This isn't coal mining and otherwise fitting to the setting, besides the off-putting disciplinary actions. Even the lower-grade artifacts are worth a lot, so they don't have to force the kids to go deeper to find more precious ones.

Two things I also noticed typing this up:
1. Where are the older kids? Are they all on a mission or do they live independently once they get their blue whistle?
2. How are there still artifacts in the upper layers 1800 years after the discovery of the Abyss?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Episode 4 is out and it only covered 2 chapters this time.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

So both adults who've been involved in this have given their blessing for the 10 year old to descend into the Pit of No Return.

You'd think they'd at least tell her to wait for puberty.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Pavlov posted:

So both adults who've been involved in this have given their blessing for the 10 year old to descend into the Pit of No Return.

You'd think they'd at least tell her to wait for puberty.

She's 12, she's in the middle of it.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The creature art is extremely cool

Lookit that thing!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Best OP this season, IMO.

Lurking Haro posted:

Episode 4 is out and it only covered 2 chapters this time.

I wonder how far it's gonna get, then. Maybe it's more condensed further down the line.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Pollyanna posted:

Best OP this season, IMO.

I wonder how far it's gonna get, then. Maybe it's more condensed further down the line.

The two most likely stopping points for this season are manga chapters 26 and 38. If I was the producer, I'd aim to end on chapters 26. That way, you'd only need one more manga volume to get enough material for a second season.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

golden bubble posted:

The two most likely stopping points for this season are manga chapters 26 and 38. If I was the producer, I'd aim to end on chapters 26. That way, you'd only need one more manga volume to get enough material for a second season.

It works out nicely this way, though 26 doesn't seem like a natural stopping point to me...then again, I guess it's fine.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I was hoping a little bit more would happen in the latest episode, but at least they got to the next layer. I'm finding it hard to resist reading the manga at this point. Hopefully next ep picks up a bit.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

She's 12, she's in the middle of it.

Ah, of course. That's a much more suitable age for a suicide mission.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Their whole society is a weird cult based on a hole. They already send these orphans hundreds of meters down, of course they think it's good and cool that this is happening

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

El Burbo posted:

Their whole society is a weird cult based on a hole.

perhaps the same could be said of our society too :greencube:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

El Burbo posted:

Their whole society is a weird cult based on a hole.

Shut up I wanna go down the hole too. :colbert:

• Locked thread