Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Commentator
Hellpockets
James "Old Man" Chen
Ultra "I See You Colluding" David
Infiltration
UltraChen
Yipes
Chris Hu
Zhi (Late Night mode)
Zhi (Corporate Sponsored mode)
Aris
Ryan Hunter
Seth "My LoL Money" Killian
Spooky
When's Catherine?
View Results

• Locked thread
Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
update on the anime stream: george costanza is talking about the bald(ing) man's sex life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Hypocrisy posted:

Honeybee bringing out the Aquaman for an Aquaman mirror was just awful.
the roller coaster of emotions... rooting on a fellow flash player, then him picking aquaman in grand finals, then switching back to flash down 2-0 and bringing it back to 2-2

flash was played in a grand final, that is way more than i was expecting from injustice 2.

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart

Captain Invictus posted:

you should check out, at minimum, the SFV top 8, Marvel top 8, Guilty Gear top 8, and Smash 4 Grand Finals. Not sure about tekken, blazblue, kof, injustice, and others since I didn't watch those

I would heavily recommand the KoF finals

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
BB grand finals was very good.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

you should check out, at minimum, the SFV top 8, Marvel top 8, Guilty Gear top 8, and Smash 4 Grand Finals. Not sure about tekken, blazblue, kof, injustice, and others since I didn't watch those
kof top 8, or at least grand finals, is a must watch from me. tekken was fine but not as interesting as ceo or combo breaker were. injustice had some fun stuff (flash player, no sonic fox in grand finals) but i could understand not enjoying injustice at all.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Dias posted:

update on the anime stream: george costanza is talking about the bald(ing) man's sex life

which one theres like a dozen of those

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Puyo Puyo Top 8 plus the 1v3

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

anime was right posted:

which one theres like a dozen of those

the jiyuna one, animeilluminati

it went down and now there's a cammy cosplayer on stream

i'm just waiting for more random blowups really

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Obnoxious cosplay on stream and Jiyuna no where to be found

I was promised Zhi drat it

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

HoneyBoy posted:

Obnoxious cosplay on stream and Jiyuna no where to be found

I was promised Zhi drat it

jiyuna abandoned us and left cosplay in his wake

jiyuna/zhi should be powerful tho

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Zhi is really awful.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Brosnan posted:

Zhi is really awful.

he is but by now i'm here just for the iasip-style self-blowups

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This was my favorite moment. That kid was insane.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

where can i find this? saw clips of what i assume was the same guy going apeshit on everyone, is it clipped on youtube or just twitch archives?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

cams posted:

where can i find this? saw clips of what i assume was the same guy going apeshit on everyone, is it clipped on youtube or just twitch archives?

Very first link in the OP. Worth watching the whole thing to see just how next-level Amemiya is compared to the rest.

Doubles got a bit boring, since without him having to swap to Puyo he was just dismantling the other team in seconds while Tema was yawning. It would have been fun to have them switch it up between themselves a bit.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ahahahahahahahaha poo poo

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

https://twitter.com/DasDanke/status/886853022936178688

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
At least have the self-respect to get Earl of Sandwich.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/sasugapsyblade/status/886809870363578369

tradition is stronger than esports

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
So, NA is still free?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'm just catching up with what happened last night since SFV top 8 is always at an unforgivable time for Europeans. Sounds like Punk did amazing and I hope he doesn't let his early success get him from reaching bigger heights, but this was Tokido's moment. This guy has worked so hard for years, I'm happy he finally got an Evo win.

Melty will always unites us in poverty.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jul 17, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Lots of good matches in the finals. Props to Hameko and AW Nemo who commentanted for the Japanese stream, they were so hilariously pumped for Tokido in particular it seemed like at least one of them would faint from sheer shouting.

Dudes were so incredibly happy when he got the match reset (warning: loud):

https://clips.twitch.tv/LittleFrailElkBIRB

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Haha how did I miss this??

https://clips.twitch.tv/ResoluteBusyNightingaleHeyGirl

Goddamn, so intense

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Tokido is my favorite fighting game player and I'm so glad he finally won again.

Saoshyant posted:

This guy has worked so hard for years, I'm happy he finally got an Evo win.

He's won Evo twice before, it's just that the last one was literally a decade ago (CvS2 in 2002 and ST in 2007).

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Veib posted:

He's won Evo twice before, it's just that the last one was literally a decade ago (CvS2 in 2002 and ST in 2007).

What, that's ancient history*

* and I didn't know about it.

But without further ado, here it is, everyone! The moment we all waited for, best commentator vote, and the results are.......

Yipes wins! (to no one's surprise)

Yipes (92)
Spooky (61)
Aris (56)
Zhi (40)
Chris Hu (36)

Lowest voted: Ryan Hunter at 11 votes

These results are an injustice to everyone's favorite uncle James Chen.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

James Chen crying and saying 'evo is love, when you take the L and run it back it spells EVO' is maybe the most pure + sincere a human has ever been

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Dias posted:

It was the weakest GF set besides maybe Melee. Smash 4 had a Bayo clutch it out last stock last game, KOF also had a great clutch play to give ET the win, Marvel was kinda uneventful but a fuckin' Chun won it all, SFV had MURDAFACE literally destroy a young man's soul and Blazblue was a very close set that also went last round last game.

How can you say Marvel was uneventful after what went down?

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
Whenever yipes commentates RyanLV he says things like, "this is going to be lame" or "go make a sandwich" because of the 'lame' play style of Ryan. So that kinda killed it for me, I tuned in and out during that grand finals.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I was doin chores and cooking and such in between games so I may have missed it but were there any cool intro vids for the top 8's people could link back? Like I feel like usually there's a marvel rap or SF has the theme play over compilations and such but I didn't see it this year.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Reunited:
https://twitter.com/sato_kayo1226/status/886972809968107521

Tipme posted:

Whenever yipes commentates RyanLV he says things like, "this is going to be lame" or "go make a sandwich" because of the 'lame' play style of Ryan. So that kinda killed it for me, I tuned in and out during that grand finals.
The only time I remember Yipes saying anything like that is when Ryan is doing infinites. Ryan goes in with Chun pretty often

edit: \/ Mine was during Paradigm's top 8 matches

iPodschun fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 17, 2017

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I think my favorite yipes commentary was when punk was playing in marvel.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I've never known what the deal was worth Aris and Kayopolice

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

I've never known what the deal was worth Aris and Kayopolice

they commentated together one time a few years ago, and aris insinuated that he wanted to gently caress her, which is funny because she used to have a dick. a dick not being the kind of thing a straight man would want to gently caress, because they normally belong to men, whom you are gay if you want to gently caress

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

iPodschun posted:

edit: \/ Mine was during Paradigm's top 8 matches

Yeah that was quite the sound, surely somebody has made a supercut of all those already?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Coxswain Balls posted:

Very first link in the OP. Worth watching the whole thing to see just how next-level Amemiya is compared to the rest.

Doubles got a bit boring, since without him having to swap to Puyo he was just dismantling the other team in seconds while Tema was yawning. It would have been fun to have them switch it up between themselves a bit.

I wish I recorded the full match of flashman92 knocking tema into swap losers on my phone, he lost game 1 and I figured it was a done deal so I turned off my phone lol

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Somebody on Reddit did the math for Tokido's placings at Evo and since 2002 he's gotten top 8 25 times over 15 different games. The only years he didn't make it have been 2003, '04, '09, and '16, though for the early ones I don't know if he even was there.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
If you guys want to get to know Tokido better, this interview is really good

https://jiyunajp.wordpress.com/2016/06/18/617-tokido-interview/

Beyond all the Murderface memes, he is a super smart and humble guy and I'm very happy he won

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Veib posted:

Somebody on Reddit did the math for Tokido's placings at Evo and since 2002 he's gotten top 8 25 times over 15 different games. The only years he didn't make it have been 2003, '04, '09, and '16, though for the early ones I don't know if he even was there.

He's been at every Evo since B4 or B5 I believe.

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Hey so this evo made me feel things and made me want to get back into sfv after having a hot and heavy month and a half with it before putting it back down.

I'm moving to chicago in a couple weeks, seems like a good opportunity to check out the scene, but I'm really a newbie to the whole thing. Any resources I should check out or do I just google "fighting games chicago"

This is where the biggest local is held, and it's also where the Chicago Red Bull Proving Grounds events are held. I know Brian F, Eli the Curry, and CoolKid93 show up to events held here.

Ignite Gaming Lounge: https://www.ignitegaming.com/

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Whoops, quote is not edit.

• Locked thread