Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Commentator
Hellpockets
James "Old Man" Chen
Ultra "I See You Colluding" David
Infiltration
UltraChen
Yipes
Chris Hu
Zhi (Late Night mode)
Zhi (Corporate Sponsored mode)
Aris
Ryan Hunter
Seth "My LoL Money" Killian
Spooky
When's Catherine?
View Results

• Locked thread
Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Jmcrofts posted:

Beyond all the Murderface memes, he is a super smart and humble guy and I'm very happy he won

From some dude on reddit:

quote:

Little story about Tokido I posted on r/streetfighter...
Back in 2007, my brother and I went to Japan to play 3s with the best in the world at GamersVision. The arcade was about an hour outside of Tokyo and it was hard for us to find it since we barely knew any Japanese. I called GamersVision, and Tokido was working there and answered.

His English was very limited back then, but he still managed to give us decent directions. Tokido and KSK gave us a very nice welcome as it was pretty rare for foreigners to travel that far out back then just for 3s comp, they were unbelievably nice to us, and we were thinking, "WE'RE NOT WORTHY!!!" They were so happy to have guests from outside of japan. Tokido even put me on his team during the weekly 3v3, I wasn't near their level, but he really wanted me to have fun and enter the tournament since I didn't have 2 other team mates.

Tokido took it upon himself to show us around a bit without us asking. He took us to a crazy restaurant and we had some really interesting dishes....one of them being a tiny piece of RAW HORSE!!! I wasn't about to turn down the 3s Chun-Li GOD Tokido, so I said, gently caress them pretty and beautiful creatures, I'M EATING PONY TONIGHT!!!....it was pretty good with the sauce.... :(

When the check came, we saw that it was over 20000 yen (about 200 bucks), we tried to pay for it because we knew that Tokido was working at the arcade and he was a student. There is also no prize money in Japan for tournaments back then, so we really didn't want him to waste money on us, but he absolutely would not allow us to pay. He was such a loving nice guy. I'll never forget how well he treated us two random foreign scrubs.
Fighting games are great. Thank you Hajime Tanaguchi, you deserved the win a long time ago.

Fighting games are great. Tokido is great. Evo is great. You guys are all great. Can't wait for next year.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
That is a really nice story.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Great evo overall. The finals with a couple of exceptions were all great and the reveals were exciting with the exception of the mvci anemic roster being further confirmed. My only real complaint was the sfv stream being 1-2 matches followed by 10 minutes of ads and sponsors.

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

FanaticalMilk posted:

He's been at every Evo since B4 or B5 I believe.
My memory is hazy but I don't think B4 had any Japanese players and B5 was basically Bas + the Japanese MvC2 players, no Tokido.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

https://mobile.twitter.com/katitagaribon/status/887003934853709824

Nice words from bonchan.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

punk is cool he'll probably try and figure out how tokido melted his brain so badly and overcome it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Isn't Punk like 18 years old? That's a lot of time to grow and mature and learn to play on the big stage. He can only improve from here.

Of course now that I said that he's gonna get knocked out in pools next year

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They will nerf Chun even more and MOV will still be in the top 8 with his cargo shorts

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Tae posted:

They will nerf Chun even more and MOV will still be in the top 8 with his cargo shorts

When I was watching top 8 with my wife, she saw MOV on screen and said, "He looks like a random street punk from a Yakuza game".

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Was he the one that walked out with an entourage, that guy knew how you're supposed to do arena entrances

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
MOV is the one huffing nos

I don't know if he brought it out this time I only tuned in for GF

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Was he the one that walked out with an entourage, that guy knew how you're supposed to do arena entrances

Yep. He walked on stage with a bunch of bros and I said, "Man, MOV looks like a cool dude" and she looks over and says, "Didn't he try and mug you in Yakuza?"

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Long Island Joe had some swagger in his entrance last year.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
moke had the best entrance imo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What were the prize pots for the various top 8s this year?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Captain Invictus posted:

I think Tokido got Subway for winning SF5 right?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Captain Invictus posted:

I know Marvel's was the standard $10 per entrant plus $10,000. I believe SFV's had a $50,000 pot bonus.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

S.J. posted:

I think Tokido got Subway for winning SF5 right?

Yea 1st place goes home with the sweet onion chicken teriyaki

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Jmcrofts posted:

Yea 1st place goes home with the sweet onion chicken teriyaki

these corporate sponsorships are destroying the fgc

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Coca Koala posted:

these corporate sponsorships are destroying the fgc

https://twitter.com/Arbys/status/885891648940498945

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

https://twitter.com/MarnORZ/status/885969302033125376

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
his leg already looks like arbys

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://clips.twitch.tv/ShyGoodHorseradishBCWarrior

this is still going on idk what they're playing next
https://www.twitch.tv/hyperx

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Now it's JWong + Valle vs Leffen + Mango.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I'll watch this

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
This is delightful. And I left for two hours so I can rewind and skip all the downtime.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Anyone that attended Evo wanna give me an estimate of how much they spent? Trying to plan out some tournaments to attend.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Keegers posted:

Anyone that attended Evo wanna give me an estimate of how much they spent? Trying to plan out some tournaments to attend.

The biggest variable in your cost is always gonna be how many dudes are you splitting a hotel room with. I've done a double room with 12 people for 4 days before, came out to be like 80 bucks a person, it was nuts. On the other hand, I just went to Combo Breaker totally by myself and it was like 700 for the room!!!

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
https://twitter.com/KennyOmegamanX/status/887713218826715136

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Keegers posted:

Like Trykt said, hotel and flight are the big moneys. Split hotel rooms if you can; even a double queen room split between two people with one per bed is way better than taking a single king by yourself, and 4 people to a double queen is very doable. Registration is also surprisingly expensive, especially if you enter a lot of games (don't enter a lot of games). For Evo in particular, but to a lesser degree for other tournaments, a car is a huge money saver if you can swing it, or have a friend who can drive you around. Not just because of rideshare fees but also because restaurants near places like the Vegas strip tend to be way more expensive. I saw a hell of a lot of tweets last weekend about people spending 20~30 dollars on loving sandwiches on the strip, while just a 15 minute drive away you could get awesome food for half that price.

Going over my spendings for the weekend I spent about 400 for food and rides, but I splurged a bunch. If I was really trying to keep costs down I'd probably be able to get by with a quarter of that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

kenny omega is the best

also what kind of dog is that, it looks like it's part hyena

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Okay thanks guys, I think I'ma go with attending multiple "cheaper" tournaments instead of just Evo.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Keegers posted:

Okay thanks guys, I think I'ma go with attending multiple "cheaper" tournaments instead of just Evo.

But....but there's nothing quite like Evo in Vegas. Plus now that it's going to be in Japan, that's like two bucket lists in one. I'd love to go within the first four years before it becomes some super huge thing. Do what I did last year just save and save and make that your one trip you take and go have a blast. Me and two friends had a blast going. Just look at Circus Circus or Excalibur as they are the two cheapest hotels on the strip. Also Denny's is one of the cheapest places to eat, and buy your booze from Walgreens and just take it with you everywhere.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

you should check out, at minimum, the SFV top 8, Marvel top 8, Guilty Gear top 8, and Smash 4 Grand Finals. Not sure about tekken, blazblue, kof, injustice, and others since I didn't watch those

I read this advice and then watched Puyo Puyo Tetris top 8 instead

I will check out SF5, GG and smash at some point, everyone keeps telling me SF5 is good now after evo

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Definitely check out the KOF top 8. The matches were good, went at a great pace, and the sample of characters and countries represented was balanced imo

Also check out puyo doubles too

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Was Killer Instinct at EVO? It was pretty fun to watch last year.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I will check out SF5, GG and smash at some point, everyone keeps telling me SF5 is good now after evo

SF5 is a bad game to play and a decent one to watch.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Was Killer Instinct at EVO? It was pretty fun to watch last year.

It lost the player's choice slot to MvC3 so it wasn't there in any official capacity and I don't have my ear to the ground to know if there was a side tournament streamed.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The marvel top 8 was great too and it's Yipes and Persia sending it off in grand style, pro watch

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Watch every match with para diggem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

mango sentinel posted:

SF5 is a bad game to play and a decent one to watch.

It lost the player's choice slot to MvC3 so it wasn't there in any official capacity and I don't have my ear to the ground to know if there was a side tournament streamed.

Most KI folks sat out.

Blazblue finals were a little slow but the grand finals made it all worth it. Fenrich is a god.

• Locked thread