Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Commentator
Hellpockets
James "Old Man" Chen
Ultra "I See You Colluding" David
Infiltration
UltraChen
Yipes
Chris Hu
Zhi (Late Night mode)
Zhi (Corporate Sponsored mode)
Aris
Ryan Hunter
Seth "My LoL Money" Killian
Spooky
When's Catherine?
View Results

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

attackmole posted:

gently caress jacko

Yeah, I've got some kind of bad luck streak where every time I see tournament Guilty Gear, at least one player is using Jacko. It's like those people who watch a show once a year and it's always the same episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Oh, there's Mahvel.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Jesus, Skisonic sounds like he got tagged behind the ear by a tranquilizer dart.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Wow, Cloud805 got kinda bodied by a Canadian player named SJ just now on evo3.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Angelic's got some salt he's airing on Twitter. Apparently the venue's busted up some things.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I hope either Joey or Ryan makes ChrisG cry. Wasn't it Joey who nearly knocked ChrisG out last year, but he took like a ten-minute break to recover while the crowd chanted?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

theGrooseofLegend posted:

As a guy who plays Melee, I'm honestly curious: what are Melee's problems as a competitive game? What annoys you as a spectator or, if you were making a competitive platform fighter of your own, what would you fix about it?

Speaking only for myself: everything I actually like about Smash in general--the general chaos, playing with more than two players, the items, most of the stages--is systematically stripped out of it to make it "competitive," and the guys in my local scene who play competitive Smash don't play anything else or talk to anyone else.

I don't understand the attraction or value of competitive Smash, the same way I don't understand why someone would sit down and watch NASCAR. Clearly other people do, but there seems to be a very sharp binary here, and there's not a lot of point in arguing across the divide.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The "perfect" Smash tournament would be four-player free-for-alls, where losing a stock means you have to do a shot. All items, all stages, and all characters are allowed, and the grand prize is a bunch of free pizza and a big Costco-size bottle of the most offensively flavored vodka available on the market today. Something so sweet that just knowing it exists is a diabetic risk factor.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I really want ChrisG to go home in tears. I love to hate this man. He is the heel.

At least MVC:I doesn't have the goddamn MorriDoom shell. (Yet.)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Chaotic Flame posted:

I'd rather the MorriDoom shell over Zero/Virgil any day. At least you get some variance in navigating the bullet hell.

Yeah, I take some pleasure in the fact that Zero, for all his zoop-zoop stupidity, has only won one Evo, in 2013.

It's just frustrating as a viewer that something like 90% of the cast doesn't really have an answer to the bullet hell. I'm genuinely shocked that it was only lightly nerfed in the EX Edition.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Dias posted:

also i dunno how this stupid chun/morrigan/phoenix team works it's mostly chun that baffles me but i guess when you hit like a fly it's easy to fill up meter

It's interesting, because the team's basically built around match unfamiliarity despite the lineup. There are layers of mind games in there which are there to basically defy everyone's expectations at this point.

Chun's almost never seen, but she's one of the most mobile characters in the game and she's really difficult to keep out; weirdly, she's probably one of the better anti-Morrigan picks. At the same time, Ryan's Morrigan isn't built around the bullet hell Astral Vision setup. He'll certainly use it, but it's not all he does. It's not his neutral.

Finally, Ryan will actually play Phoenix, rather than sticking her in the back as an imminent threat the way everyone's been doing since vanilla. He'll bring her out to actually do some work, and nobody does that, so a lot of the time, the guy he's playing against effectively has no match knowledge. Plus, RyanLV's whole team is built around massive meter building, one way or another, so he can go ahead and spend meter if he has to without jeopardizing the potential for a Dark Phoenix comeback.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Man, you can't gently caress with Haggar in grand finals, can you.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Ahh. The salt of ChrisG. There is balm in Gilead.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Hah, Arthur/Rocket/Haggar. This guy is currently being a dick at tournament level.

Dias posted:

It's an anti-meta team. I hope he wins because it's a nice counterpoint to Viscant's ridiculously fine-tuned meta team that won the first EVO, even though both have a Dark Phoenix strat.

Yeah, that's a more efficient way to say what I was talking about. RyanLV seems to have built his entire team around deliberately not doing what people expect his characters to be doing: Morrigan playing a more genuine neutral, Phoenix participating at all, Chun being there at all.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Ventana posted:

It's not being a dick, it's a counterpick

I now recognize this. I thought he was trolling again with mid-tiers, but now I'm seeing what he's doing.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

And now ChrisG sits there and sobs for ten minutes in an attempt to kill all the momentum.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

thank god dbzf is gonna eat its lunch

Not for a while. MVCI is going to have anywhere between six months to a year to build a scene before DBZF shows up, and if it can make a place for itself in that time and fix whatever's broken at launch, the two games can coexist.

It's just a question of whether Capcom shows up to the party (which is a wholly valid concern, given how at sea it is with SFV), and how hard the American Marvel scene is willing to work to make MVCI happen. There's also room for DBZF to completely fall on its rear end competitively, since we've only seen six characters so far, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were some really dominant day-one team builds.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Jiro posted:

I just realized something Rikki Ortiz didn't show up this year did she?

She's there.

https://twitter.com/HelloKittyRicki/status/886297489501954048

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Commentators for Evo 2018: Aris and Aris's Beard, finally teaming up

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I did not see that coming.

It was... unPREDICTABUL

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Which Virtua Fighter and which DOA character are you expecting for DLC 3 and 4?

Continue the boss streak. Go with Duraal and Kasumi Alpha.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

cams posted:

lowest viewer count for an evo main event in years coming up if twitch doesn't sort this poo poo out before sfv

They'll make up the difference in angry, angry ESPN-2 viewers.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I want to say wing chun?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

...I think that taunt was like that moment when somebody actually manages to hit Bruce Lee and he tastes his own blood

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

So in 2015, PR Balrog and NuckleDu split 7th. Last year, LI Joe got 5th. This year, Punk gets 2nd.

America's getting closer to the top every year. That's kinda cool.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

This might have been my favorite Marvel match of the tournament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au0x0r_ynxM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

What were the prize pots for the various top 8s this year?

I know Marvel's was the standard $10 per entrant plus $10,000. I believe SFV's had a $50,000 pot bonus.

• Locked thread