Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Commentator
Hellpockets
James "Old Man" Chen
Ultra "I See You Colluding" David
Infiltration
UltraChen
Yipes
Chris Hu
Zhi (Late Night mode)
Zhi (Corporate Sponsored mode)
Aris
Ryan Hunter
Seth "My LoL Money" Killian
Spooky
When's Catherine?
View Results

• Locked thread
Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Melee is a legit game, but holy poo poo am I tired of every top 4 being made up of the following players:

Mango
Mew2King
Leffen
Armada
HungryBox

The tournament scene has become stagnant since no other players can challenge these guys. EVO is no different than any other smash tournament, save the size of the pot. No new players ever win, or even show up in top 8. Just the same handful of dudes every time.

Compare that to SFV 2017 vs. SFV 2016.

Punk
Itabashi
NuckleDu
Kazunoko
Moke
MOV
Tokido
Filipino Champ

Infiltration
Fuudo
Yukadon
GO1
LI Joe
MOV
Eita
Nemo

Just nice to see new players, new story lines, and new characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Tae posted:

There was complaint that SFV was too random because there was always new people, you can't please both parties

Yeah but you can go back and look at Ultra SFIV and see similar changes to top 8 from year to year. If it was truly as random as people like to complain it is, you would see some real rando's making it to top 8 more often.

Instead you see the very best consistently making it past the trash, and then fighting it out in top 64.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

NecroMonster posted:

the best are just more consistent in melee because the game is far more matured than anything else in the realm of fighting games

That's a fine opinion to have.

My opinion is that the game is fine, but the playerbase needs to either step up or move on. If your name isn't Armada, Hungrybox, or Mango (and m2k or leffen on the rare outside chance), I have no idea why you're still wasting your time since you are never going to win.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Tae posted:

You can say the same thing to like 90% of sports leagues

Why do the Sacramento kings still exist

I live in Pittsburgh and really only follow hockey.

You might say I'm spoiled.

Edit: But in keeping with what you're saying, I don't think the Sacramento Kings of Smash has any fans. You either like a god or live in perennial disappoint with no chance of that changing. Actually, it's starting to sound a lot like being a sports fan in some cities.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Ventana posted:

Maybe the players still just enjoy playing the game and competing in it, enjoying the struggle to get better?

If that makes the game boring to watch, that's fine, whatever. But you're implying that something is wrong with the players for just playing a game they like.

Tbh I'd rather all the SFV players go to SF2/3/4 and play games they enjoy, instead of being forced to play the newer shitier game simply because it's new or for money. But if they enjoy SF5, that's cool too.

I'm suggesting that if your goal is to win the tournament, you should stop playing.

If you like to go 0-2 outie, play to your hearts content!

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Yup. If you aren't trying to win, there are a ton of good reasons to enter a smash tournament.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Dias posted:

I don't have anything against Melee per se other than the memes and the fact that dudes be a bit entitled. It is one of the hardest games to grasp as a spectator tho, and it runs long as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

People cheered Mike Ross and low-tier champions. I mean, underdog factor is a thing.

I would love to see the round time cut down to 5 minutes or so.

This year they did run most of top 8 as bo3, and that helped speed things along.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

theGrooseofLegend posted:

OOH BABY that meter steal combo!

That was nice poo poo.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Do we have ourselves a match?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

LETS GO

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

I actually thought the gameplay looked alright. Don't know why its only 2v2 though.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Maybe umvc3 will become the melee of the next generation.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

When they say easier to get into to, do they just mean they want new players to be able to do flashy moves? Because there's no way some chump is going to take sets off a pro unless you dumb the entire game down to literal rock paper scissors.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Zand posted:

they did this for sfv soooo

And again, you don't see dudes like me beating Xian or NuckleDu because the game is SOOO EASY now.

You still need to have drat good execution, knowledge (general and matchup specific), footsies, and all kinds of poo poo. The guys who were good are still good, and the new players who are good have put in a ton of work and practice. The meta continues to grow and change.

You can't even complain about Ibuki since she isn't in top 8. Or Balrog, Urien, etc.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Smash4 is so slow. If the game ran 1.5x faster it would be very exciting. At the current speed I get bored halfway into the first match.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Jiro posted:

Its better than the almost 10 minute matches melee has. Whoever made those house rule standard should get kicked in the balls. Smash4 shows mercy in being way shorter in time and stocks.

I would be totally fine dropping to 3 stocks/4 minutes or something similar. But at that point, Hungrybox would run every match he got a lead on to the clock limit.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Veib posted:

Tekken

Man throws his son off a cliff
Son grows up all pissed and throws his dad off a cliff in revenge
Man throws his son in a volcano to make sure that doesn't happen again
20 years later man throws his grandson out of a helicopter

A story for the ages.

Now do Yoshimitsu, who may or may no be a robot who was a devil who is a robot who is actually a devil.

Edit: Tekken owns. There is a literal dinosaur in the game too. And a boxing kangaroo. And whatever Mokujin is.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

This is the best thing I have ever seen.

Do yourself a favor and click that link everyone.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

People hate on Bloody Roar, but if that series came back it would be a day 1 purchase for me. The transformations are very fun, and the character design gets really out there.

It's like Animorphs the video game.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Is Kilff still in the game? I always liked him.

Also, thank you HBO/EVO for putting Game of Thrones during Smash and not Street Fighter. I appreciate it.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

We Know Catheters posted:

I've never seen Blazblue before and the characters are indistinguishable from other games.

If you don't watch animu, it is understandable that it all looks the same to you.

When I used to put League of Legends tournaments on my TV, my wife couldn't even tell what was going on. It was just blobs to her.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Who built this giant floating cloud platform, and why?

Asking the real questions.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Punk and Du ruined Teabagging across the entire fgc.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Keegers posted:

I would say more punk than Du. Du used to do shade taunt but they removed that so all he could do was tbag. And he didn't do it every match like punk did.

The shades weren't just a taunt though. Du hid flash kick charges with the shades and used them to throw off his opponents timing. The teabagging is all just teabagging and mostly done during stuns.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Fenritti's blocks are godlike.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

That turned out to be pretty hype.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Did that guy playing Gigas make top 8?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Does that mean sfv top 8 is going to be top 3 too until finals?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Dias posted:

how does anyone even watch tekken when the same three guys always win

Games been out in the U.S. for like 10 minutes. Getting butt hurt with premature melee comparisons is pretty funny.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Dias posted:

is joke you braindamaged imbecile

but even as joke it's been out for three years and the same three guys have been winning since two, maybe three games ago tbf

It's ok to be a smash apologist. One day you'll be comfortable enough to fly your flag.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Amazing.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Someone should tell Suk the match started.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Andrast posted:

As a person who doesn't know poo poo about fighting games, these Tekken matches are way more exciting that anything in Blazblue

Wait until we get some slow-mo goodness.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

I love Tekken 7, but Steve is a boring character to watch.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Brosnan posted:

Imagine thinking this

Give me Gon any day.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Karnegal posted:

I'd be alright with no more Jack

But his match win animations are so good.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

SectumSempra posted:

was jack always this popular in every tekken?

Evo 2018 will be 4 Kumas and 4 Jacks in top 8.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Not bad America. Next year should be interesting.

Now on to the best of the best.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

DOUBLE KO SLOW MO THERE IT IS

Edit: This game is so loving cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Veib posted:

Being able to win a match with a double ko is kind of dumb imo, should be that neither player gets a round

I think there is historical precedence for awarding rounds on DKOs.

Also, it's way more hype than 50 seconds of fighting followed by 'nothing happens.'

• Locked thread