Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Commentator
Hellpockets
James "Old Man" Chen
Ultra "I See You Colluding" David
Infiltration
UltraChen
Yipes
Chris Hu
Zhi (Late Night mode)
Zhi (Corporate Sponsored mode)
Aris
Ryan Hunter
Seth "My LoL Money" Killian
Spooky
When's Catherine?
View Results

• Locked thread
Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

S.J. posted:

Okay, I thought somebody had posted some stick sales, but I can't find them and I'm really doubting myself.

Focus Attack is doing 15% off and $15 shipping for sticks, if you can find some in stock. They sold out of Obsidians before I got home from work to order =/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Zelder posted:

It's a bummer watching mvc2 and realizing how many of these characters aren't in mvc3

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

theGrooseofLegend posted:

As a guy who plays Melee, I'm honestly curious: what are Melee's problems as a competitive game? What annoys you as a spectator or, if you were making a competitive platform fighter of your own, what would you fix about it?

1. Games are 7 minutes long. A single game can last longer than an entire best of 5 set is literally any non Smash game.

2. The same 4 characters (and players for that matter) are used and win everything out of what, 30+ characters? Obviously games will have tiers, but if the tier is that small it's problematic.

3. You have to use a made up rule set to play the game competitively. No items and like 5 out of 20 stages. If I want to play Street Fighter, it's plug and play. If I want to play Melee, I have to have The Discussion about whether or not items are used and what stages and all of that stuff. If you have to house rule the game, it intrinsically is competitively weak.

4. Players have to find Literal Broken controllers just to play the game 'competitively.' Your literal Evo Champion had to sit out a tournament recently because he couldn't find a controller that was sufficiently malfunctioning. If you have to play the game on a broken controller, your game isn't competitive.

5. Armada, Hungrybox, and M2K (maybe others I don't keep up with the scene) win like everything so it gets boring. Koop covered this pretty well, so read that post.

6. Community is a bunch of babies. Reread my point 3, then pair that with the knowledge that the kid who won EVO Brawl as ROB was shunned by the community for... playing the game by the rules the game shipped with and the tournament was formed under. Imagine a bunch of adults bullying a 14 year old kid because he didn't play the game the One True Way because internet bushido or something.

7. The characters are chosen for their mobility basically. Special attacks are only used if they jump, parry, chip, or throw items. Nothing exciting of captivating about the characters chosen or the way they are played.

8. I just don't enjoy the game of poking neutrals. The ledge dances are kind of cool, but not worth all of the other problems. It's technically sound if you ignore the fact that you have to play with like an 8th of the game that shipped, but it's so boring.

In closing, Melee is trash that was formed by kids who grew up from environments where they could house rule checkers until they could win. However, it makes EVO a lot of money because there are a lot of people who watch it for whatever reason. I'm cool with EVO making money, so whatever, just keep it off Sunday.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

That fireball was awesome

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

ESPN is Disney, for those who legit don't know. The Mouse owns the 4 letter.

Also if you have to censor your characters default outfit to make them suitable for basic cable, it's not the network being prude, it's your lovely costume design not being suitable because you have to appeal to incel fucks.

I was just thinking today how bad the female costume design in Street Fighter (and all fighters tbh) was. It's like they think women are allergic to clothes. That was a plot point in MGSV

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I want James Chen and Tokido to be my friend

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Long Island Joe had some swagger in his entrance last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Yeah but it looks like a PS2 game.

• Locked thread