Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Commentator
Hellpockets
James "Old Man" Chen
Ultra "I See You Colluding" David
Infiltration
UltraChen
Yipes
Chris Hu
Zhi (Late Night mode)
Zhi (Corporate Sponsored mode)
Aris
Ryan Hunter
Seth "My LoL Money" Killian
Spooky
When's Catherine?
View Results

• Locked thread
anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Dias posted:

I'm not sure if DBFZ needs more damage or if it's just bad combos giving me that impression. Cell seems to get Big Boy Damage, so maybe it's just the combos.

no ones done a real combo yet for sure

theres random moments where you can see people landing a random hit or chain after a weird moment (like full-screen frieza fb) but no one's kind of pieced together groups of chains. looks like the potential is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
no ones using the teleport move that wallbounces in combos either

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
that glitch happened when cell's throw on frieza was interrupted somehow during the dhc. throws typically render characters invulnerable to all other sources of damage temporarily to avoid even stranger glitches, but by the animation not completing on the target it hit, the vulnerability didnt get checked back on (likely the little cinematic dash)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

ToastyPotato posted:

I like that they labeled it Xenoverse 2 on twitch to be sure that it would be extra hard for people to find.

twitch doesnt have dbzf as a selectable game

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

NecroMonster posted:

watching gg pools hell yeah biscuits on commentary

your head is hosed up and you have bad opinions

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Shadow225 posted:

it's a bummer watching mvc:i

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

corn on the cop posted:

guilty gear owns

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
leo, as a character, seems like he was made in half the time other characters were

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
loss by hubris is such karma lol

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
marvels the only thing worth watching now lol

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
oh and tekken top 8

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
melee is cool and id be way more fine with it being a part of the fgc if the people involved with it at all would even meet the fgc halfway. anime dudes had to deal with far more poo poo but we made it work.

then again, anime games are superior to capcom games.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Real hurthling! posted:

smash bros would be better if it was like a doubles thing. 1v1 no items final destination is almost as boring as nrs games

even tho most agmes are decided by like, the first two stocks and it makes way more sense for time purposes to do two stocks, melee players HAVE to run 4 stock

imo its a p good game at high level but no game after melee is actually competitive so why bother.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
is folded pizza a sandwich?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

if you have to add a conditional qualifier to a sandwich its not really a sandwich imo

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

theGrooseofLegend posted:

As a guy who plays Melee, I'm honestly curious: what are Melee's problems as a competitive game? What annoys you as a spectator or, if you were making a competitive platform fighter of your own, what would you fix about it?

melee is fine for the ruleset it is, i think its p fun. its kind of dated and a little too explored to be interesting but seeing people perform at their top and read each other is still fun. it takes a little too long, but its a good game. i just wish the future games embraced the ideas of melee and cooked them into the game, but instead they did the opposite, essentially telling everyone: "no, dont play this game competitively" and people do anyway like idiots. melee is cool and shouldnt have happened, the other games are people trying way too hard to add more rules to checkers and turn it into chess even tho the guy who invented basically went "I ONLY WANT YOU TO PLAY CHECKERS"

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

C. Everett Koop posted:

Serious post time:

I was talking to a co-worker about this other day, and he understood a fighting game tournament having stuff like Street Fighter and Tekken. But he was surprised that Melee would be at such an event, which basically led to me describing how it runs, and coming to the realization that Competitive Melee is far different than the Melee the vast majority of us played, and that's probably not a good thing.

What I mean is that the Street Fighter I play isn't the Street Fighter that top players play, and the basketball I play isn't the basketball that LeBron plays, but we're generally in the same realm, or at least the same rulebook. Competitive Melee has practically nothing in common with how the game was intended to be played. It's like they took a peanut M&M, hollowed it out until all that was left was that little nub at the end of the peanut, and left it the candy shell. It may say Melee but it's not; the community has created something that's interesting to watch at high levels but it has nearly nothing in common with how the game was designed to be played and how most of us played Melee, which means there's a disconnect.

Melee also suffers from a lack of parity at it's highest levels. There's a thread about parity in sports over in SAS right now and what I've been meaning to ignore my job and write another effort post about is that we want the illusion of parity in sports, but not necessarily parity itself. In a major event we want the top players/teams to be there at the end, to lend credibility that what we're witnessing is a big deal, but we want there to be an underdog for fresh blood/rooting interest. Melee has it's four/five gods and they win everything, and perhaps most importantly, appear to be winning everything for the foreseeable future. Games/sports get boring if the same team wins over and over again (unless someone manages to push said champ past their limits but I digress). Ratings for the NBA Playoffs were down this year until the Finals because everyone knew it was the Cavs and Warriors at the end and they were never threatened; had either team been taken to a sixth/seventh game there would have been more intrigue and higher ratings; a die-hard Melee fan or someone with a rooting interest in the four gods will watch regardless but a casual fan could be turned off by the same names competing for the title.

The other major thing Melee has working against it is its community. Even by FGC standards they're more obnoxious/intolerable re: autistic than the rest, which ends up being a turnoff, or how two people who are very similar either get along like gangbusters or can't stand each other. Because Melee is so different than other fighting games there's very little player crossover at high levels which means there's limited opportunities for understanding. The Melee community is also very insular, getting no support from said FGC and no support from Nintendo, which Hungrybox whined about earlier this year. The issue with getting no support from Nintendo is that Nintendo has no reason to support a game that's on hardware from four console generations ago and has been morphed into something completely different than intended; really to support competitive Melee would be to tell Sakurai that he made his game wrong. It's why it was such a shock and a big deal that Melee won the EVO poll a few years ago and made an effort to integrate itself back in with the greater FGC,; they had been so insular and previous efforts at intertwining the two went so poorly that people were stunned that they would want to come back in. As we've seen in the years since Smash has stuck around and been mixed back in but it's at the level of "drunk uncle at Thanksgiving" where you don't want to talk about anything because it's just going to lead to arguments and peoples getting mad.

Melee's future is going to be one of a gradual decline as the already old hardware becomes harder and harder to find. Big tournaments have enough issues finding CRTs and Gamecubes aren't being made anymore, and even though Nintendo started making Gamecube controllers again for the purpose of playing Smash if you have to find one that's malfunctioning in order to play at the highest levels, that doesn't bode well for your future. The players will get older and their skills will decline as nature intended and it's a question if there'll be younger blood ready and willing to take over.

The only things that could shake up Melee would be: going to fewer stocks/shorter time which naturally increases variance, but the community's going to be very hesitant to change anything that's so ingrained and I don't think they want that variance anyway, or Nintendo releasing the game on Switch which makes it accessible to a whole new audience. Considering how apprehensive Melee was towards Brawl/4 I could see even a re-release being rejected over flaws real or perceived, meaning CRT/Gamecube Melee is the only True Melee and anything else is an impostor. New blood coming in to shake up the pecking order might also do it but I'm not holding my breath there.

Melee isn't perfect or flawless like I shitpost about and it's also not a cancer as the thread likes to bitch about it, it's different and with flaws and no real motivation to fix said flaws. In the end, Melee will just be content to do its own thing and nothing of value will be gained or lost.

i luv guilty gear

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
its ok to show half-naked people punching each other irl tho

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Sindai posted:

why is akuma a lion now? is this an alt costume?

no, you have to pay money for his old look, the neckbeard is his default

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
in 10 years from now theres gonna be a bunch of sfv mystics hailing the game as perfect

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
theres more people complaining about people complaining about esports on espn then there are people complaining about esports on espn

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Sindai posted:

I can't believe it became an unbreakable tradition to show a clip from that incredibly goofy movie at the biggest fighting game event in the world

it holds many meanings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Dias posted:

update on the anime stream: george costanza is talking about the bald(ing) man's sex life

which one theres like a dozen of those

• Locked thread