Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Commentator
Hellpockets
James "Old Man" Chen
Ultra "I See You Colluding" David
Infiltration
UltraChen
Yipes
Chris Hu
Zhi (Late Night mode)
Zhi (Corporate Sponsored mode)
Aris
Ryan Hunter
Seth "My LoL Money" Killian
Spooky
When's Catherine?
View Results

• Locked thread
C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Reminder that this year's EVO is already an unmitigated failure and the whole event can only be saved by dumping the Capcom games and making Sunday Melee Top 16 only.

C. Everett Koop fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Jiro posted:

I mean sure but what do you do with the other 12 hours of your Sunday after you're done crying into your animu body pillow?

Regret my life choices, which as a Detroit Lions fan is my natural state on a Sunday.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
gently caress Max.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I tried to watch the Tetris and it was lagging like hell on my Chromecast. Sucks.

Also the Jumpoff isn't nearly fast-paced enough. Too much talking, not enough stream-hopping. I get that it's early and new and they're working out the bugs but moving quicker from stream to stream would benefit the show greatly.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
KOF top 8 starting now

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
DBZ is already so much better than Marvel it's not funny.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
:911:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

DBFZ looks incredible. It seems like they significantly decreased the framerate of the animations compared to Xrd, or maybe just have more "freeze" frames, so it looks even more like 2D sprites.

Considering half the game is huge beams and explosions it really doesn't matter the animations tbh.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
what the hell is danger time

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Well that was some anticlimatic poo poo.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Keegers posted:

Fchamp wins, that seems scummy considering the series of events.

Checks out.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I assume SonicFox bet against himself and is gonna cash in huge.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Are those cheers for Smash or something

All cheers are for Smash.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Aquaman mirror in grand finals :flaccid:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Okay that speedforce into Aquaman just floating on by was pretty lit.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
well nevermind another top 8 that's trash

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Christ EVO's been trash this year. Who coulda seen it coming????

Thank god Melee's next to save this shithole.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I switch to Marvel during the downtime and whattya know it's racistass ChrisG :geno:

Man EVO sucks this year.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

slev posted:

Viewership climbs as melee approaches.

The state of Evo

EVO is a Melee tournament that refuses to acknowledge it.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
mental note: don't play whatever the gently caress that last ad was for

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Dias posted:

does a stage 4 cancer patient identifies themselves as cancer?

At some point you just have to come out of the closet and admit Melee's supremacy.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Dias posted:

I mean, we still can't cure cancer.

Considering that SFV is the GOP's health care plan you should invest fully in the life-saving powers of Melee.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Why is Melty cool? I opened the Twitch chat to see if they were talking about the game (the PPT chat was actually fine) and they were spamming poo poo about raping maids

the melty audience are incels who have no social skills, which is why they don't go outside

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
folded pizza is not a sandwich you fucks, what the hell is it sandwiching?

and don't say the toppings that's like saying a mustard sandwich is legit

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Gologle posted:

Everett I am inclined to dismiss all your assertions on account of your garbage taste in fighting game spectating.

my assertions are flawless much like melee

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
what the gently caress is commentary talking about jfc

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I know this thread acts like melee shot their dog but that was a good set between armada and m2k until m2choke arrived right on schedule

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Melee at top 4 which are the 4 gods of melee. should be some good sets coming up.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Dragongem posted:

One of the gods of smash is a guy who wears gym shorts and looks like a crazy hermit

I love esports

Be nice to Dave Grohl.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Well, some of those games were good, if not anti-climatic again.

Speaking of which, we're 0-4 in bracket resets in grand finals this year, right?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

theGrooseofLegend posted:

As a guy who plays Melee, I'm honestly curious: what are Melee's problems as a competitive game? What annoys you as a spectator or, if you were making a competitive platform fighter of your own, what would you fix about it?

My observations watching top 8: there is a huge amount of time spent in neutral because defense has been optimized. Back in 06, DI was not as good meaning that death strings were a lot more common in the metagame. 4 stocks were a necessity back then because they could disappear in an instant. Nowadays, since defensive options have become better you'll see hits lead to nothing and characters surviving as high as 150%, meaning more time spent in neutral and games lasting more than 3 minutes. As a player I find the neutral game engaging, but as a spectator it's infuriating to watch.

Melee at its best is Axe vs Silentwolf game 3, where a top player can make 4 stocks vanish in less than a minute. Melee at its worst is Armada vs Mew2king game 3 where neither player can convert off of anything and the match lasts up to 6 and a half minutes :suicide:

(as a side note, what do guys think about other platform fighters that's inspired by Melee like RoA and Project M)

Serious post time:

I was talking to a co-worker about this other day, and he understood a fighting game tournament having stuff like Street Fighter and Tekken. But he was surprised that Melee would be at such an event, which basically led to me describing how it runs, and coming to the realization that Competitive Melee is far different than the Melee the vast majority of us played, and that's probably not a good thing.

What I mean is that the Street Fighter I play isn't the Street Fighter that top players play, and the basketball I play isn't the basketball that LeBron plays, but we're generally in the same realm, or at least the same rulebook. Competitive Melee has practically nothing in common with how the game was intended to be played. It's like they took a peanut M&M, hollowed it out until all that was left was that little nub at the end of the peanut, and left it the candy shell. It may say Melee but it's not; the community has created something that's interesting to watch at high levels but it has nearly nothing in common with how the game was designed to be played and how most of us played Melee, which means there's a disconnect.

Melee also suffers from a lack of parity at it's highest levels. There's a thread about parity in sports over in SAS right now and what I've been meaning to ignore my job and write another effort post about is that we want the illusion of parity in sports, but not necessarily parity itself. In a major event we want the top players/teams to be there at the end, to lend credibility that what we're witnessing is a big deal, but we want there to be an underdog for fresh blood/rooting interest. Melee has it's four/five gods and they win everything, and perhaps most importantly, appear to be winning everything for the foreseeable future. Games/sports get boring if the same team wins over and over again (unless someone manages to push said champ past their limits but I digress). Ratings for the NBA Playoffs were down this year until the Finals because everyone knew it was the Cavs and Warriors at the end and they were never threatened; had either team been taken to a sixth/seventh game there would have been more intrigue and higher ratings; a die-hard Melee fan or someone with a rooting interest in the four gods will watch regardless but a casual fan could be turned off by the same names competing for the title.

The other major thing Melee has working against it is its community. Even by FGC standards they're more obnoxious/intolerable re: autistic than the rest, which ends up being a turnoff, or how two people who are very similar either get along like gangbusters or can't stand each other. Because Melee is so different than other fighting games there's very little player crossover at high levels which means there's limited opportunities for understanding. The Melee community is also very insular, getting no support from said FGC and no support from Nintendo, which Hungrybox whined about earlier this year. The issue with getting no support from Nintendo is that Nintendo has no reason to support a game that's on hardware from four console generations ago and has been morphed into something completely different than intended; really to support competitive Melee would be to tell Sakurai that he made his game wrong. It's why it was such a shock and a big deal that Melee won the EVO poll a few years ago and made an effort to integrate itself back in with the greater FGC,; they had been so insular and previous efforts at intertwining the two went so poorly that people were stunned that they would want to come back in. As we've seen in the years since Smash has stuck around and been mixed back in but it's at the level of "drunk uncle at Thanksgiving" where you don't want to talk about anything because it's just going to lead to arguments and peoples getting mad.

Melee's future is going to be one of a gradual decline as the already old hardware becomes harder and harder to find. Big tournaments have enough issues finding CRTs and Gamecubes aren't being made anymore, and even though Nintendo started making Gamecube controllers again for the purpose of playing Smash if you have to find one that's malfunctioning in order to play at the highest levels, that doesn't bode well for your future. The players will get older and their skills will decline as nature intended and it's a question if there'll be younger blood ready and willing to take over.

The only things that could shake up Melee would be: going to fewer stocks/shorter time which naturally increases variance, but the community's going to be very hesitant to change anything that's so ingrained and I don't think they want that variance anyway, or Nintendo releasing the game on Switch which makes it accessible to a whole new audience. Considering how apprehensive Melee was towards Brawl/4 I could see even a re-release being rejected over flaws real or perceived, meaning CRT/Gamecube Melee is the only True Melee and anything else is an impostor. New blood coming in to shake up the pecking order might also do it but I'm not holding my breath there.

Melee isn't perfect or flawless like I shitpost about and it's also not a cancer as the thread likes to bitch about it, it's different and with flaws and no real motivation to fix said flaws. In the end, Melee will just be content to do its own thing and nothing of value will be gained or lost.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Dias posted:

melee isn't cancer because you can make cancer go into remission

denis leary put out a whole thing called "no cure for cancer" are you saying mr. leary is wrong :colbert:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Ventana posted:

I can't tell if you're talking about playerbase or viewerbase with this, but in either case this solution doesn't feel right. Like, I'd agree with this if we were talking about what *we* would like to see as Melee viewers, but afaik Melee viewership in general isn't like rapidly declining. And I don't think the playerbase is at all related to this either. If you were going to get into Melee or not, I don't actually think Stock/Timer issues are the barriers that would be in the way (like, say, Technology issues or general High Skill gap would be).

In terms of playerbase or viewerbase I'm talking about both kinda. It may be that Melee has more in common with European soccer than anything else where the top teams are expected to win every year and it's unacceptable when they don't and someone like a Leicester winning isn't seen as a breath of fresh air but a glitch in the system. As for viewership it may be not be rapidly declining but I don't think it's growing; the die-hards are always going to watch but unless some huge catalyst happens, like when Melee came back to EVO, I don't see how viewership grows, meaning it'll gradually decline vs. a rapid one.

If you were hellbent on getting new blood into the scene the reduced stocks/time for variance would be the one change within the communities control, but as we've noted they like having the same names on top and aren't clamoring for someone new. If anything I'm sure they'd like to go even longer and eliminate even more variance but that leads to other issues.

quote:

We can already see this in the FGC too, with something like the MVC2 360/PS3 port being weird so some mvc2 players didn't want to play on it.

And the HD Remix/Switch Street Fighter were Super Turbo except not really so they've been cast aside like redheaded stepchildren. A Switch Melee re-release would have to be untouched and even then if there was any additional lag or change in control it would be rejected out of hand. They've been playing their way for over a decade now, they're not going to change if they aren't forced to.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I want Yipes and Bas Rutten to call something together not using any real words, just noises.

Also I assume the D in Joey D stands for diabetes.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
The D in Joey D stands for Doubled Up

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Dias posted:

an all-women team is gonna win marvel and then it won't ever come back to evo

coincidence? i think not #redpilled

2017 continues to be the Year of Misandry :getin:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I guess the good thing about Capcom Capcomming DMC is that Vergil won't be back in Infinite.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
A racon trap actually worked he just had to sacrifice a character to do so.

The strats folks, the strats.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
chris is done shook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Can't believe I gotta root for ChrisG to get a reset in GF....

• Locked thread