Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

namad posted:

What level is your character? I notice I never see that in screenshots, even ones in which you're spending deity points. I'm starting to think that even though I've been cheating and stealing breeding recipes from the wiki and I'm character level 160. Your party is 3or4 times stronger than mine and I doubt your character level is as bloated as mine. Heh.

So many pro-tips learned from you though that I never would've figured out on my own! I have however added dreams of ice and diligence to my abnegation team (after seeing those traits in this thread) and if I don't have any deaths in the first round then from the second round and onwards I'm invulnerable.

Still have the problem that sometimes I just die in the first round. If I was a life mage not a sorcery mage I could stack speed on my regal golem and end up with massive round1 defensive bonuses, but I think sticking with sorcery and grabbing a lich overseer or maybe the Imp Necromancer will serve me better. If I had imp necromancer I might be able to ensure going first and then just do something like silence every enemy and blind them, or scorn them and mana drain them some sort of combo like that.

At this point Mysterio is around level 86.

Once you get into Nether Realms there's only so much you can do to avoid random losses. Once you get to the point where you've got fully tricked out nether creatures you can make your combos a lot more consistent, but until then every fight is a roll of the dice to hope you don't run into an ability that nullifies your strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Update 47: The Hangover

It turns out that the Sphinx is just purely overkill with this party. The easiest way to speed up fights is to stop enemy spellcasting, so let's go ahead and do that.

A potentially scary formation that can do absolutely nothing against our defense.

An extremely interesting monster, but it's going to have to wait.

Jailbreak is the Planetary Amaranth's partywide +30% defense ability.

It stacks.

I never bother slotting it in, but it would make my defense build even crazier.

The next grimoire collecting quest involves finding these lying around on the ground. They spawn about 1 per level and I need over 50 of them, so it'll be a while.

Found a new bard. It's got its uses, but not super impressive.

Need more favor from Azural to get here.

Ohhh yeah. This thing's gonna be fun.

Another nifty find! Secret Ingredient is a rare and unique support ability: it does nothing in combat, but boosts the effects of chef meals by 50%. So I can stick this on one of my support guys and start getting 30 favor per fight instead of 20.

Found a pretty sad ability artifact. Blight is cool but very, very niche; 90% of the time it does literally nothing and 9% of the time it does very little. It's only really that 1% of the time where you run into a bunch of enemies with crazy healing powers that it becomes relevant.

Another giant.

Hey, picked up another card! Kind of a dud, though.

The game's teasing me :( Blood Slimes are used in one of the sin quests and show up in a bunch of breeding combinations, but we're short an Ectoplasmic Slime.

The artifact equivalent to the Fire Salamander we've seen.

The random traits that enemies in Nether Realms get are susceptible to this, which makes it a great way to get around nasty abilities that would potentially shut you down.

Finally! I find it amusing that it still doesn't have a description.

The fortune sphere unlocks this beast, but it'll be even longer.

So here's our shiny new Fortune Sphere.

With my help, together we will grow Siralim into a more unified and prosperous kingdom.

How will we accomplish this, you ask? It's quite simple: I'll provide you with a list of tasks to complete. Your job is to venture out and complete these tasks, and in return, I'll share some of my power with you.

Some tasks are more difficult than others - but also much more rewarding. I'll try to make things easy to start, but once I'm confident in your abilities, we'll up the ante, so to speak.

Let's get started immediately! After speaking to me, you'll notice a list of tasks on the left side of your screen. You can finish these tasks in any order you want, but you must complete them all to receive your reward, along with a new set of tasks.

Good luck, hero! There's always yet more to be discovered in this beautiful world.

The Fortune Sphere is basically a quest giver for random, long-term postgame quests. It's a source of gem dust for the Arcane Refinery, although it's been kind of eclipsed by Daily Realms. Still, it's something to do.

Unfortunately the starting slate of tasks we rolled isn't very kind to us. Beating the Arena is pretty simple, and we're close enough on Regalis to knock that one out. Extracting from a Raven is just a matter of finding one in the wild. The Warlord isn't accessible yet, but we could fix that easily enough.

A Nemesis Boss, though... we're still a ways off from being able to unlock the punishment that activates them. That one's going to have to sit on the back burner for a while.

Uh...

This is new.

One of the worse reapers.

This spell exists to rack up spellcasting triggers and that's it. In practical terms it's good for Djinn Pyromancer builds and not much else.

I'm tantalizingly close to the key threshold for Meraxis, but I've cleaned the level out already.

Fortunately, I made this at the Divine Candle a while back.

Presto, instant enemies!

I picked these guys because 1) I didn't have any spare cores, so I could use a chance to farm some more (you know, just in case I ever actually wanted a pet elf for some dumb reason) and 2) they are weak and useless. I figured I might use them to help grind a new party up to speed but pitting them against this team is just cruel.

Ding! Genociding elves gives us the favor we need to push us over the top.

In fact, starting this very moment, I'm going to stop drinking! Take this wine goblet out of my sight. It's yours to keep!

The next time you see me, Mysterio, I'll be a god born anew. I'll never have a headache again!

We never did get to party with Meraxis, but this is even better.

It will be a while before we can actually use it. There are a couple reasons I wanted to get it ASAP, though.

Meraxis has a new spell at rank 5. It's nothing impressive, but it's nice enough; Water Enchantment is arguably better, but if you have Splash from another source it's nice to get some health recovery going for your big hitter.

Lets you turn Bleed or Burn into Bleed + Burn to maximize your DOTs. Not too shabby, but not quite as good as some of the other pilwiz powers.

Lastly, there's... this.

The Nether Goblet gets another platform out in space. Amusingly, it's exactly 4 times bigger than Mysterio.

Also, it has another quest mage guy hiding here waiting for you to unlock it, which is an even bigger dick move than the guy hiding at the Arcane Vault.

So here's the Nether Goblet. It's used for two things: the first is upgrading Nether Creatures. These guys are a way to power up a creature to silly levels, but you can only have one per party. They've got various bonuses, but the main one is they get 3 customizable ability slots. The combos you can stack together get pretty ridiculous.

The other main purpose of the Nether Goblet is that it lets you challenge the gods themselves. These are the closest thing the postgame has to a final final boss, although you can use their rewards to build even crazier parties to challenge yourself deeper and deeper against the infinitely scaling dungeons.

The one hitch is that you'll notice that all of the nether goblet items--both the powerups and the challenge keys--require one or more unique items belonging to the gods. We've already seen one of them, Meraxis's Peacefulness... which only shows up at max favor rank. This is the big reason why favor is such a big goddamn deal: getting anywhere in the later postgame requires grinding a whole lot of gods to max favor. It took me a dozen or so floors to reach max rank with Meraxis. Now multiply that by 15.

With the Nether Goblet, you can start to see the general shape of the postgame emerge:

1. Grind favor.
2. Power up Nether Creatures.
3. Murder the gods :black101:

Of course, there's no need to get the Goblet this early for any of that; I can't do anything with it anyhow until I get some more gods repped up. No, I spent all that time grinding for this thing for one reason and one reason only:

HALLELUJAH THERE IS A SHORTCUT BETWEEN THE SUMMONING CHAMBER AND THE BREEDING CHAMBER NOW loving FINALLY

As you grow older, you'll start to lose your patience and lash out at others more frequently. Before long, you'll do the same to your closest allies. Wrath will be your undoing if we do not stop it here and now.

A sacrifice is in order. Bring to me a Carnage Destructor - a wild, savage being of pure hatred - and let us ensure that you will always act with foresight.

As luck would have it, we already have the breeding combination for this guy. Which means we could have broken into the sins earlier if he wasn't locked behind max favor ranks for Meraxis.

But first, about that chicken we picked up...

...and Rudy eats only vanilla ice cream.

(Buddy devours the chicken, then proceeds to clean out his teeth for the next several minutes. Finally, he notices you're still watching him and casts a magical cat spell on you.)

You unlocked the Cat (white) costume in your wardrobe!

The horror

As with all things dodge, this is kind of all or nothing. Mostly, it's nothing.

This is basically a worse version of one of the Carnage family (the Carnage Destructor, coincidentally enough.)

...interesting? There aren't that many things that gain Maximum Health, but relying on enemy healing doesn't make things very consistent.

The Bringer of Sin quests are a little bit different in flavor than the Keeper of Virtue quests.

(The Carnage Destructor falls to the ground, but within moments, a new entity is born from its body. After the figure materializes, it looks up at you, and looses an intimidating roar.)

Bringer of Wrath:
The deed is done.

:ohdear:

Wrath is kind of boring, but Multistrike is hard to come by.

Here's a closer look at that new Pilwiz. It's ok.

It occurs to me that I forgot to screencap the last one. They don't have a lot in the way of stat variation. Or visual variation for that matter.

I also missed the new Plague Doctor. He's not much to look at, though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wait I never got this far. Are you actually going to KILL GOD(s)?!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Straight White Shark, thank you for showing me Siralim 2.

I've pretty much given up on the series because of Siralim 1, which has to have the worst scaling I've ever seen in a videogame. :negative: I mean, sure, MAYBE it's fine after you get going, but the beginning is absolutely miserable when you can only do like 3 levels at a time before getting your butt kicked. I never got past the early game because of this.

It took me way too long to realize that Siralim 2 fixed most of the issues I've had with the game, and it's thanks to your LP. :)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

Wait I never got this far. Are you actually going to KILL GOD(s)?!

Well, not in the sense of actually getting rid of them permanently. You do absolutely get to punch their faces in repeatedly though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Update 48: Blade Runner

(Within a few moments, Phobos' blade dancers leap from the shadows in an attempt to cut you down with one clean strike. Your creatures hurriedly deflect the attacks before engaging in battle.)

Rematch time!

This is shaping up to be a very short fight.

Not only are there twice as many targets (meaning 2.5x as many counterattacks), Phobos and his army now respond to spells as well as attacks and have permanent Multistrike.

Unfortunately, I've made a terrible miscalculation. The blade dancers only respond to damage. I was planning on tossing Fury Swipes on Bastion and watching the entire enemy party rip itself to shreds in an instant, but Bastion's got no hope of actually doing any damage.

So I have to wait slightly longer for them to kill themselves the boring way.

The unique material he drops is an odd utility ability. It's somewhat helpful for reliably extracting from enemies, although a lot of builds can easily finish off 1 HP enemies accidentally and your odds of extracting are generally good enough that just spamming attempts on somewhat wounded creatures is probably your best bet. More importantly, though, it's a fantastic way to set up abilities that depend on a creature being at low HP.

A bit redundant now.

So, time for something a bit new. First, I can take advantage of the new stable upgrades to save parties for easy access later; this is about the best thing I have going right now, so I may dust it off in the future to clear higher level daily realms, sigils, etc.

I don't have the parts I need for an all-out Imler party, but that doesn't mean I can't dabble with them.

I grab a completely unleveled imling for my project in order to minimize survivability. I lust for imling death.

This ability means that whenever a party member dies they will automatically cast one of their spells at random. It's 100% probability, but you don't get to pick which spell goes off.

Of course, if they only have one spell equipped, you can be sure of what they're going to cast every time.

A pair of phoenixes make the perfect accompaniment to a 100% reliable resurrection autocast. We're going to revive the world to death.

Ianne: It's been an honor to serve you, King Mysterio! To show my appreciation, I'd like to give you my spare set of clothes.

No no - don't argue - just take them. I insist!

Went into the blacksmith to spiff up some of our equipment and wound up with this.

OK.

We're on a 2-streak of Daily Realms, but they're still easier than tackling Nether Realms so we head there to try out the new party.

Unfortunately I've got a little bit of an issue--my freshly spawned level 1 imling is still getting too much defense for the enemies to do any damage! My master plan to rig up a devastating death trigger has been thwarted by the inability of the enemies to kill the squishiest party member imaginable.

I have to resort to killing the enemies the boring way.

Eventually I get bored of waiting for the enemies to fumble their way into killing the imling and take matters into my own hands.

Well, it's a start.

Ok, here we go. So. Every time Rudyard Imling dies, he casts Resurrection. He's the only valid target, so he immediately resurrects himself. That triggers the two phoenixes, who promptly dish out mass freeze and damage.

As an added bonus, the Imler gets a juicy stat boost every time his imling buddy dies.

I've got 3 or 4 party members capable of murdering the imling, so the stat boosts add up.

The frost phoenix can essentially keep the enemy party locked down permanently as long as none of them rolled any immunities to freeze. If they're exceedingly lucky and keep managing to roll insta-thaws they might actually get a turn after the cycle starts, but that's pretty rare.

Anything that doesn't get wiped outright from the volatile phoenix's buffets is easy pickings for a roided out Imler.

Frying fruit and meat together gets you this. Yseros and Vertraag are my next priorities as they enable Nether Creatures, but that's still a ways off so I'm going to take a small detour for the sake of the Fortune Sphere tasks.

Two detours, actually. I want to cross the Regalis task off our list.

Grabbed a new stag variant.

The frost phoenix doesn't have a lot to do other than sit around and proc her ability, so she's set up as an alternate ressurection battery. The one slight snag is that when multiple party members are dying you can't guarantee which one will get resurrected, but worst case scenario I can still buffet the enemies to death while playing whack-a-mole with my own teammates.

The inability to fit in my celestial occultist is a problem; silence shuts down the gimmick right quick. Most of the time I'd be able to stall it out, but that Bard + Bat combo is bad news; the bat rapidly gains speed, which contributes to its physical damage courtesy of the bard's ability, allowing it to punch right through my defenses.

It's not a big problem for now, though. Even without the Realm Quests I'm close enough to rank up easily enough.

Boring.

This translates to ~25% chance for poisoned creatures to skip their turn. Not bad, not great.

That's a new one.

Time to tackle that arena task.

First invite, I get a fairly simple but well balanced team. Magic offense, physical ofefnse, residual damage, healing, defense--I got it all.

The first four rounds go by without a hitch. Unfortunately, round 5 I fail to realize the combo that the AI has going.

Thanks to multiple party-wide debuffs, the centaur now gets a bunch of attacks off across the whole party.

Corpse Shield almost bails me out; even with relatively low intelligence, 5 dead teammates makes for a pretty meaty barrier.

The yeti is just too strong, though. RIP.

Take 2! Double Grimoires, backed up with the raven's Swiftcasting, with a lich there to give everybody free attack spells if that's not enough.

I manage to pick up a new flavor of abomination along the way.

And there we go.

Back to the dungeon proper; headed into the Torture Chamber this time to grind out rep with Tartarith.

Things go a bit hairy now that we're fighting real opposition, but you know what they say: that which kills you repeatedly makes you stronger.

Need a big arena prize for this.

Here's one we can use, though. Whether we'd actually want to is another story...

Picked up an abomination's legendary material to go with the new abomination, too.

Tartarith doesn't have a lot to say.

Not too shabby for a single target spell.

I'd have a hard time finding a real use for this.

Oh, this is interesting. Book of the Elder is the trait of the grimoire we're trying to assemble; it lets your whole party cast the spells of any grimoires you have in the group.

Never hurts to have spares.

Here's something nice!

This'll be a ways off.

So, that's done with. All the sidequest NPCs are now assembled.

Just in time to start in on this.

The kindness you show toward your people, and even your creatures, is remarkable beyond words. Let us commemorate your kindness by creating a permanent reminder of this virtue - a Sanctus. Please bring me a Mithril Imler. It is the ideal creature to use for the transformation process.

I speak of envy, an all-consuming wanting for more. Much like greed and lust, and yet different in so many ways. To give in to envy is to betray one's own achievements.

A sacrifice is in order. Bring to me a Doom Devil - a creature that would not think twice to betray its own kin out of spite - and let us ensure that you will always remain focused on what is impotrant in life.

It seems kind of weird to me that the way to avoid succumbing to sin is to murder things. You'd think that would be kind of self-defeating but apparently there's some sort of loophole.

You already recognize this fact, and that is no small feat. It is rare to see a mage that does not allow arrogance to overcome them. Let us commemorate your humility by creating a permanent reminder of this virtue - a Sanctus. Please bring me a Valkyrie Shieldmaiden. It is the ideal creature to use for the transformation process.

I like that the humility quest giver is hanging out in the stables.

And yet, you remain humble to your cause. But what about the end game? How will you feel after you've accomplished all you've set out to do? I can already see it - pride will cloud your judgment and bring doom to Siralim.

A sacrifice is in order. Bring to me a Terror Hound - a creature that believes it can do no wrongs - and let us ensure that you will always remain humble in your ways.

A dumb monkey has started wandering around the breeding chamber. It can keep being lonely as far as I'm concerned t:mad:t

The Divine Candle has its own shortcut that turns north to hook up to the library. It's not nearly as big a game-changer as the one for the nether goblet, especially since the Arena's hallway gives you an even straighter path from the summoning area to the library.

Creature roundup! This guy's an even worse version of the bad artifact-negating ent.

Good stuff, like all of his other lich buddies. This gets insanely good if you have spells that don't depend on Intelligence (also known as every spell if you've got a Raven Batmaster around.)

Also great--it's very on-theme for the current party and generally a good way to help turn around a losing fight. Unfortunately I couldn't begin to find a place to fit it in.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is it possible to cast resurrection on enemy units if you want to farm them for on-kill triggers?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Update 49: Flubber

Back to it. The combination of silence + the Abyssal Spectre is a bit worrisome, since the spectre can unwind all my defense bonuses in one fell swoop. Fortunately, this guy rolled some kind of ability that encourages him to provoke all the time so I'm free to stall out the silence.

This again. This is a big problem if you're relying on incremental damage instead of one-hit kills; I can power up Heinrich Imler for big hits, but in the process I'd be dealing chip damage and powering up the enemy defenses thanks to this.

Black Hole saves the day, though. This spell is drat near mandatory for nether realms.

I'm halfway there on the Revenant King, but not yet.

Watchers are generally good, so this ought to be interesting.

A new Plague Doctor appears, but it dies too quickly to extract--there's not much I can do to stop the enemies from randomly killing one of my squishies and triggering buffet damage.

Racking up absolutely tons of duplicate formulas by now.

The worst efreet power.

Let's speed this along.

There we go.

Each creature is good at a different mission. It's important to send the optimal team out on a mission, or the mission might end in failure. You can see which mission your creatures are good at by viewing their Creature Sheets. Nether Creatures are especially good at completing missions. Aside from all of this, your creatures' experience level and artifact also contribute toward their success.

Oh, and one more thing! You can only send creatures on missions if they're in a stable group. You can manage your stable groups by speaking with either Zenpang or myself.

So here's our new warlord. The warlord is basically there to give you something to do with the ritual system after you've completed all your upgrade rituals; effectively, you can convert power/energy into new drops. It's not normally a huge priority for me right away in the postgame, since I've got no shortage of things to spend power on already. But I might as well show it off since I've got a fortune teller task for it.

There are a number of different types of missions, each with different rewards: bartering gets artifacts, exploration gets experience, foraging gets craft materials, hunting gets sigils, raiding gets resources, experimenting gets spells, and surveying gets runes. There are also a few unique cores that can only be acquired from certain missions.

Different creatures have different mission specialties. As it happens, familiars are well suited for the bartering mission, so I"ve got most of a mission team ready made.

This is why the Warlord requires you to upgrade the stables first--you need to be able to save teams. It does somewhat encourage you to diversify your roster a bit so you have competent mission teams to send out, although ultimately if you've got a good enough A-Team the mission rewards aren't going to be super enticing compared to just grinding the hell out of high level dungeons (outside of the unique stuff, anyhow.)

Trait-gaining spells are always interesting and the autocast trigger on this is nice for multitasking, but there's always a chance you'll roll something crippling.

Ouch, that's 2 creatures that I don't have access to.

I can't think of many spells that benefit more from an extra casting than this. -20 mana is annoying, -40 mana is crippling. There are a lot of magical threats that it won't do anything about, though.

Ugh, now I'm getting formulas for other families that are bottlenecked behind the diabolic assholes.

Hello now! I've been looking for cyclones for another formula.

So close! Oh well.

There hasn't been a lot to show off with this team; being able to bounce back instantly from most deaths and perma-freeze most enemies doesn't make for a lot of exciting battles. So I'm already up to the next boss.

(Moments later, you and your creatures are caught toe-to-toe with an intimidating army of these slothful slimes. Left with no choice but to defend themselves, your creatures attack!

So here's the Flubris refight.

Not only are there now 6 of them, they also regain health every time they transform.

A lot of health. Buffet isn't going to come anywhere close to 7000 damage a round.

So I need some boosting.

I may have gone slightly overboard.

Interestingly, Fury Swipes has no problem pasting all 3 Flubris variants. Apparently the immunity to attacks only applies to the attack command, and not attacks triggered by spells?

Flubris has mostly debuff-themed abilities, despite having no resemblance to his actual abilities.

I've got a few formulas that branch out from this one... but they require other exotic Tremor variants.

Conveniently enough the next Daily Realm dumps us right back in the Torture Chamber.

HAHAHA.

Siralim definitely isn't messing around with an "fainted" cop-out, we're straight up murdering everything we come across, often having stolen their souls first.

Seems a bit weird that Tartarith's rune involves taking less damage. You'd think he'd get something Bleed related, this seems more like Torun's schtick.

We've already got this ability on Brimjob's shield. Now we could double up if we really wanted to.

This comes from one of the golems, and is one of the reasons I don't like to go on golem unlocking sprees. It's really goddamn annoying, but useless if you ever try to use attack spells with cast-on-start.

A new Nix has been showing up, but they're pretty flimsy so it's hard to get a clean extraction. A full party of them is a good enough opportunity to finally nab one.

At higher level Daily Realm streaks fleshwarper coins become a lot more common. The spell materials are pretty sweet, too.

Now this is interesting. Pharoah's Bane is the Sphinx Zealot ability that nerfs the hell out of the enemies' stats. This basically lets me condense the two-sphinx setup into a single sphinx.

Huh. Well, this would have been interesting to have. Not as useful as insta-resurrect on death, but it would have greatly sped things up in fights where I take multiple death--being able to chain resurrects would be pretty sweet (especially being able to get multiple resurrects in response to dying!) But it's about time to shelve this party.

That was enough to take care of our mission ritual.

A mid-level traited artifact is decent, nothing amazing. Again, the warlord's more there as a late late resource sink than anything else.

The trait itself... ehhh. There are other spell-negating abilities with a higher proc rate and generally I'd prefer more reliable spell protection over randomly getting the occasional extra spell access mid-battle; the odds of picking up anything that would turn a battle around are way worse than the odds that a more reliable proc would cancel a potentially battle-losing spell.

That's that. Creature roundup!

The Stag's powers are a bit more reliable than the Nix equivalent, but harder to reliably trigger. They're not really specced to take attacks, either.

Speaking of which, here's that new Nix for comparison. The Nix definitely has a more effective stat spread, with lots of speed and enough attack and intelligence not to completely embarrass herself.

The salamander would have been a cute addition to Team Phoenix but most fights are already won as soon as I resurrect something. The real trick is generating resurrections from other events.

This can be pretty interesting, but generally I find it easier to find attack spells that have stat/status effects as riders and build around those with the Sky Vulpes.

Ew, this is mean as hell and is obnoxious to try to counter. It's strong enough to be tempting in spite of the randomness, but I do not want to face these things myself.

Picked up another devil variant at some point, you know the drill.

Does the same thing as the other tremor, but for attacks instead of spells. Enemy attacks tend to be more dangerous than enemy spells, but they're also easier to defend against.

Not the greatest, but it certainly has uses. With a little setup you can get some impressive damage, but other watcher variants can get better damage bonuses with less work.

The storm creatures aren't exactly lookers in general but man that is some fugly rear end art. The ability is... eh. It's a nice perk but when you're facing down enemies several times your level 1/3 damage is still a lot of damage.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mzbundifund posted:

Is it possible to cast resurrection on enemy units if you want to farm them for on-kill triggers?

Dead enemies can't be targeted. There is a spell that specifically resurrects everything on both sides, but outside of that you'd have a hell of a time finagling a resurrection effect onto an enemy.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
So, going full Im for the next team?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I still only really have the one Imler that's worth a drat. The starter Imling is pretty sad and can't really be built around, so until I get more options the best I can do with them is a sideshow for phoenix parties.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Straight White Shark posted:

I still only really have the one Imler that's worth a drat. The starter Imling is pretty sad and can't really be built around, so until I get more options the best I can do with them is a sideshow for phoenix parties.

You could always just save and exit and recheck the artifact salesman until you just put impler trait on normal monsters.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
hey wait back up a sec

Going all out defense for this team.
This lich has an eye patch. Why does it need an eye patch when it not only doesn't have eyes but literally has the word "see" in its name? Is it the lich of Big Boss and that's why it's an overseer? Is this an elaborate sight-based joke? I love it. I hate it. Both.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sunglasses :eng101:

namad
Nov 7, 2013
In that image there is no eyepatch and no sunglasses... just normal empty eye sockets filled with a pool of green swirling evil.
It's the brim of his cowl that's likely confusing you? Or were you guys joking?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I can kind of see how the eye sockets could be mistaken for a dark lens or patch--the compressed image makes the green a bit muddy so it looks a bit gray-ish, especially against the very yellow skull. But as cool as eyepatch lich would be, it's definitely just empty sockets with glowing eyes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You can have a skeleton with a gun, but not a skeleton with eyepatches. :sigh:

namad
Nov 7, 2013
Maybe in the negative? Which is siralim3, only it's not at all siralim and it actually has good pixel art instead of bad).

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Ugh I have a spell gem that has a 65% chance to skip an enemies turn. Starts out that is instant death if you hit the basilisk that stuns if you don't hit them between their turn.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

namad posted:

In that image there is no eyepatch and no sunglasses... just normal empty eye sockets filled with a pool of green swirling evil.
It's the brim of his cowl that's likely confusing you? Or were you guys joking?
The line of the brim of his cowl (plus it not being a very distinct color from his head) makes it look like a band that is holding a patch over the head-on visible eye. Plus the eye socket having a color fill (the evil) makes it stand out.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Sorry for the delay! Been busy with other stuff.

Update 50: Fahrenheit 451

Bringing Bastion back out of retirement to tackle a higher-level Daily Realm.

Although really, despite the big level numbers these guys are probably easier than the suped-up nether realm monsters.

New card. That's 2 out of 3 based around Sorcery class physical attacks, which is an awfully narrow niche. Oh well.

New friend!

Arguably even better than Dark Enchantment; the duration is shorter, but getting free MP as part of the bargain is extremely handy.

So. Time for something new. The shield we found with the Book of the Elder trait means that the whole party can share spells from a grimoire. In particular, this means everyone can cast Inferno to double burn damage 5-6+ times over each round.

The party's objective is to get burn up ASAP, so the Sky Vulpes is coming back for a flat chance to open every fight by dropping burn on everything (on top of a bunch of other spells.) He doesn't really need speed or defense, because his opening salvo happens before anything can move, and he doesn't really need intelligence, because I can't boost it enough to do meaningful damage, so doublecasting all his spells to increase the odds of things sticking is about the best I can do.

This is a must-have, obviously.

Double Sphinx power should help keep the party alive long enough to get a good burn going.

Good news and bad news: the bad news is that one of the enemies rolled a bonus ability that makes all spells one-per-combat.

The good news is that a whole round of Inferno is enough to crank burn up to lethal levels.

1 in 6 combats starts out with the enemies getting slapped with Scorn and Burn before they have a chance to move. Life is good.

Pretty lame. You can get the same effect (actually, better) with Leech and a rune.

New centaur to grab! This guy's up there with the Djinn Pyromancer for creatures that can abuse spellcasting triggers, although trying to translate all his attacks into mass murder is a lot clunkier than just slotting in a pyromancer and watching everything explode.

...you live this day, treasure golem. :unsmith:

Not a bad panic button, but if you're in a situation where this would be useful you're probably already screwed.

A nice little gem for any build that relies on getting a million attacks off, although by itself it's probably not going to do a lot--more of a nice extra than anything.

Back to the Daily Realm.

Here's something new. This is the ultimate panic button--works great for stat boosting strategies, but it can save your rear end in an emergency regardless.

We've wound up here enough to hit the next favor threshold with Friden.

Kind of mediocre. It's not easy to thread the needle of being able to do enough damage to get a worthwhile bonus without killing the target outright.

This thing's got potential--you get a hell of a lot of survivability and firepower right when you need it most. Although you have an annoying tendency to roll these things as bonus traits/transformations mid-combat and get stuck with the stat decay without getting the initial bonus :argh:

Since the current party relies on spreading a debuff, might as well try something designed to punish mass debuffs.

Granted, I'm not actually going to be able to do any damage with a fresly summoned creature vs. jacked up level 200-300 monsters. But I can stack additional on-hit benefits, like a chance to manipulate turn order in our favor.

An interesting use of the crappy pestilence crafter, but I'm still missing the Cancerous Smog.

Here we go. I'm not 100% sure exactly how Fury Swipes interacts with the centaur's ability but he attacks about 15 times, getting me a couple accelerated turns out of the bargain due to the boots.

Racking up extra turns means I can boost burn damage to unreasonable levels with Inferno and Raze.

Lame giant ability. Temporary health while provoking isn't very impressive compared to persistent stat buffs for the whole party while provoking.

Hello now.

Phase Knights are kind of a problem since they reduce burn damage to 1/20 normal. Granted that's only 4 or 5 extra Infernos, but I figure I can probably solve the problem faster by taking him out.

Still more occultists.

Shopping for new spells to blow hard-earned resources on. It's not much, but with the Sky Vulpes stat riders on mass damage spells are nice freebies.

Interesting. I don't have anything that can actually hope to do any real magic damage, which is a shame.

Fittingly enough, this makes an insanely good combo with the Djinn Pyromancer since you can easily get 5-6+ casts in a single turn.

Woah. No wonder these things are turning out to be so much tougher than Daily Realms.

I'm beginning to think I've sold the bards short--their "attacks deal 40% of damage with ____ instead of attack" abilities seem to have some kind of hugely beneficial interaction with defense calculations, because these guys are punching right through my defense and there's no other abilities in play that would account for this much damage.

RIP. I probably should have seen the writing on the wall and fled, but oh well. I had barely started on that run so no big loss.

I lucked out and managed to get my power balance filled back up on a lucky Pandemonium Token pull, so at least the penalty from dying didn't amount to anything.

Ouch. These guys hurt when they've got the right formation.

Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice...

This is more interesting than most of the clutcher types.

Mimics just get really sad by this point in the game. It's hard to make a solo enemy threatening.

Here we go! Not the greatest, but it'll do for a start.

Niiiiice. This isn't quite as big a win button in regular play that it is for the Arena, but it's still great for stat boosting builds.

This is basically the Holy Grail for Sky Vulpes builds, too. Between this and Snowstorm I can knock a fair number of enemies out of commission before the fight starts.

Monster roundup! Basically a debuff-centric version of the Roost Watcher. Theoretically if you had an artifact trait (or nether creature) you could double up on their abilities and stack a bunch of "safe" debuffs to achieve absurd damage multipliers.

This breeding combo is straight up bugged. "Pit Guard" is not a creature family so even once you can get Pit Guards from Tartarith there's no way to satisfy its conditions; we'll have to find another way to breed this thing.

If you're going to use a clutcher, this is definitely the one to use. Being able to turn dodges into more attacks is very sweet.

I'm not entirely sure when I picked this one up, but here it is. It's not too shabby--if all you care about is multicasting spells there are abilities that will do that cheaper and more easily, but the extra damage this generates is worth the pain.

This is a great ability to stack with sacrifice-for-benefit abilities/spells; you can kill you're family to rack up ridiculously high stats and then start devouring enemies for their stats too.

A new twist on the "grant a basic attack spell to everybody" ability that each of the school-specific spellcasting families get. Other similar abilities let the team cast their spell for 0 MP, but Magic Missile costs 0 MP anyhow, so it gets extra damage. As we've seen, Magic Missile already gets pretty scary in the hands of a sufficiently powerful spellcaster... but if you have enough Intelligence to make it work, you probably don't really need the double damage. All things considered I'd think the gargoyle's free Chaos Bolt spells are probably better for the defense penetration.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I just had a really wacky battle. Before the first turn took place everyone but my crystal smith was dead. My crystal smith was at 1hp. This game really has it moments :allears:

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Thanks for doing this! Like everyone else, I find all the interesting combinations to be fascinating and the grinding anything but.

If you're up for it, I think it would be super cool to have a single video of a combat for each group you take out to show them doing their thing. It could be narrated or not, but it would be nice to see more clearly how some of the combos function in practice.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Thanks for doing this! Like everyone else, I find all the interesting combinations to be fascinating and the grinding anything but.

If you're up for it, I think it would be super cool to have a single video of a combat for each group you take out to show them doing their thing. It could be narrated or not, but it would be nice to see more clearly how some of the combos function in practice.

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. The video idea is solid, I don't have a lot of experience but I'll see if I can whip something up. It might not show up for another set of updates or so, I've played ahead a bit so there's a backlog I need to write up already.

(Sorry I've shelved this for a while--real life gets pretty hectic for me around this time of year, but some of it's settling down. Looking forward to some time to get some work done on the thread this weekend!)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Update 51: Fifty Shades Darker

Our defense isn't quite cutting it, so I'm pulling the Death Crafter back in. This means almost the entire party is Sorcery creatures, so I can stick the sphinx debuff power on him without needing a Sphinx Justicar to make it work.

Got a bit of a problem here since the enemies' random nether traits are blocking burn damage and also preventing me from getting anyone above 50% mana, which puts a crimp on some of my spells. Black Hole saves the day again.

With my doublecasting Vulpes having a 40% chance to dump Mind Storm at the start of a fight I manage to stun almost an entire hunter group before they can act. Nice.

Not nearly as good as the other carnage we just got, but still has its uses.

Boring efreet ability.

Getting lots of bottled fairy drops, which is always handy.

More fiends!

Not quite there.

Time for the next boss.

It must feel strange to know that the entire world hates you. Or perhaps you're too ignorant to even see it. Regardless, it is my duty to see that you're put down like the rabid hound that you are. Take arms, King Mysterio, and let us do battle once more.

So welcome to the worst boss, again. Shackler's gimmick is the same as before: you need to kill his minions in a specific order before you can hurt him... and now there are 2 more. Also, his minions like to abuse invisibility.

And one of them has an artifact that resists our main damage output. This is a problem.

So first up, there are these guys granting massive damage resistance for the invisible shades.

They also get free spells. The good news is that this time, none of the shades are handing out invisibility.

But you have to deal with these guys, who basically just spam defend to render themselves perma-invisible.

Dealing with the flammable masses is not an issue in the slightest. The problem is how to get the fireproof one in the top right corner. I have ways to get around his artifact resistance... but they rely on being able to target him, which I can't, because he's invisible.

So we're going the buff route instead. Every casting of Dark Transformation doubles all attributes... and I can multicast it.

(Unfortunately, multicasting does not take into account stat changes since the spell was first cast, so I don't multiply stats by 2x2x2, I just effectively add 1+1+1. Still, being able to quadruple stats every turn is nothing to sneeze at.)

After a few transformations I can bust out some serious damage (this might not look like a lot, but remember, I can multicast for three of those.)

Looks like I lucked out and nailed the correct order. I've heard that it goes in initiative order, which makes things pretty easy for a burn team since they'll die as their turns come up. (Granted, this doesn't account for the fire resistant one. Maybe the green ones don't count for the death order? That would certainly be a lot more reasonable.)

I had some extra time to futz around in while I waited for Dark Transformation to juice up my stats enough for the kill, so when Shackler finally becomes vulnerable he gets vaporized from all the burn I've racked up.

Shackler's unique crafting material effectively turns Shades into a tribal family, which sounds a lot cooler than it actually is. Most of the Shades have binary abilities that already affect the whole party and do not stack.

So that's another boss down. Time to try something new.

I know some people have been looking forward to a basilisk party. The problem is, we still have limited means of creating turn order fuckery. We do have a pair of boots that can randomly quicken party members on hit... so we just need a way to generate a lot of attacks.

If we're generating a lot of attacks, we should throw in some extra damage while we're at it.

The best way to generate a lot of attacks is to turn attacks into more attacks. Once we have the Arcane Refinery up and running we can do that a lot more efficiently, but for now this is a start.

And... voila! Our new team. Let's give them a hand, folks!

A bunch of level 1 clutchers are going to get splattered really easily and aren't going to accomplish a whole lot with their turns, so we're pulling out the cast-on-death cloak for easy Resurrection triggers.

Granted, the basilisk isn't going to survive much longer either, so let's try to keep him alive for at least a hit.

In addition to boots that hand out extra turns on attack, we've also got boots that give free attacks at the start of battle. Of course, those attacks aren't necessarily going to do much--but that's what I'm counting on, since every miss turns into extra hits.

A lot of extra hits.

It's been a long time since I've had to optimize anything for attack, but we need as much attack as possible on the Brim Smith's sword to maximize his proc damage.

One last trick to tilt the scales in our favor.

With our levels, normally we'd be looking at facing down an entire round from the enemy team before anyone gets a move. Our combo could potentially let us sneak a few turns in first, but it's not super reliable--this lets us cheat and randomize the turn order to get around our massive speed deficit.

While I'm at it... I'm up to 169 unspent deity points, and there aren't any must have big ticket items left. So I pump up our economy skills a little bit and spread some more stats around. The defensive bonuses aren't going to matter much with how squishy the current party is, but someday they'll be relevant. Maybe.

On to the dungeon. Waspids are frustratingly isolated to breed.

The battle begins! Unsurprisingly, 50% damage hits from a level 1 creature are not particularly helpful when facing level 300+ monsters in the nether realm.

The misses, on the other hand...

Any time I whiff on a physical attack, every other Necrotic Clutcher attacks twice (four times, for the one with the doubleattack spear.) And automatically hits, to prevent obvious infinite attack chains. Every hit does 292 damage from the Brim Smith's ability proc. So... that's 1750-2920 damage every time one of our creatures misses an attack.

That's not huge at this depth, of course, but for things like Fury Swipes that launch a lot of low damage attacks you can rack up a lot of misses, and therefore a lot of damage, without being capped by the damage penalties on Fury Swipes.

Also, with our special boots that translates into two 35% chances to instantly boost a teammate to the top of the initiative queue.

None of the clutchers have any spells other than Resurrection, so they can self-resurrect as soon as they die. Getting resurrected still fucks up their spot in the turn order, but that doesn't really matter--they get way more attacks when it's not their turn than they do when it is.

That was quick.

Additional punishments have been unlocked at the Altar of Blood.

Thankfully we don't need to go all the way to max favor with Tartarith to get his extra bonus.

He's got some sweet goods for sale now, too. Aftermath doesn't dole out as many attacks as Fury Swipes and doesn't let you attack out of turn, but it does let you pick your target (which is extremely important if you have a combo that needs you to attack a teammate a lot.)

The creature is less impressive, but still not awful. You need to stack up a lot of damage resistance to make it worthwhile at this kind of depth (it's all multiplicative, not additive) but 50% is a decent start.

Whoops. Got a bit of a problem here--with the smith dead it doesn't matter how many times I slap something around, I'm not going to do any damage. And with this rear end in a top hat spamming sleep I'm not going to get many chances to try resurrecting him.

Aaaand it turns out they've got an artifact-wrecking ability up their sleeve. So now even with the smith alive there's nothing I can do to them. I've got Dark Transformation in my pocket as a fallback, but they're also spreading around silence.

RIP dumb team. I swear I'll make this retarded gimmick work.

New monsters! The new fiend is interesting--the drawback of losing all your defense hurts, but in return you get a pretty massive attack score. It's great if you're just using him as a stat battery, or somehow have a way around cripplingly low defense.

That actually opens up another fiend through breeding. This one's... kind of a dud. There are creatures that perma-buff the party with better buffs than Berserk, I don't know why this one has to burn turns for it.

Kind of like having your own mini-Judgment. It's not bad, but if you can get the enemies to 40% health you can probably get them to 0%, so this mostly just speeds up battles you were going to win anyhow.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Ugh I'm stuck on this boss. my team is a huge burst team of fury swipes, troll juggler (20% of speed damage after attack), and nature mage (50% more speed). So I can kill the team randomly like 3-4 times before running out of steam. So far I haven't been lucky.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010
What proportion of attacks do you expect to see missing during a normal fight that necrotic clutchers are easier to build team attack spam around than any other way you could be doing that? I'll be honest, when I first saw their ability, I didn't think it would be worth much.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I'm not entirely sure if we saw these things yet, but we're in the postgame so I hope it's okay? (It's hard to keep track of every single thing we saw in a game like this)

You could try for a On-Hit trigger Mutiliate to really make this combo work. Would work even better with some on-hit aoe right afterwards. I think the former spell does get the opportunity to be on-hit?

Could also make sense to purposefully keep things low level with that one punishment?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Yami Fenrir posted:

I'm not entirely sure if we saw these things yet, but we're in the postgame so I hope it's okay? (It's hard to keep track of every single thing we saw in a game like this)

You could try for a On-Hit trigger Mutiliate to really make this combo work. Would work even better with some on-hit aoe right afterwards. I think the former spell does get the opportunity to be on-hit?

Could also make sense to purposefully keep things low level with that one punishment?

Yes Mutilate always has a 10% chance to activate on hit. However the problem with that build is there is a gargoyle that gives your entire team a copy of every chaos spell gems your opponents have equipped. I found out the hard way that giving every monster on the opponent's side panic attack with 60% to go off start of battle and mutilate is a quick way to die.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

NAME REDACTED posted:

What proportion of attacks do you expect to see missing during a normal fight that necrotic clutchers are easier to build team attack spam around than any other way you could be doing that? I'll be honest, when I first saw their ability, I didn't think it would be worth much.

Each miss is worth ~6 hits. At this enemy level even a "normal" leveled monster is likely to be missing close to a sixth of the time, and the new monsters starting from level 1 are going to be missing a lot more. As someone suggested, leveling up is actually detrimental since it gradually eats away at my miss rate; I can turn it off via the Altar of Blood, but that's a problem as I'd really like to level up the other creatures so I can have a little bit of survivability. Overall it's just not a gimmick with a lot of longevity.

As to why I bothered in the first place, it's extremely attractive because it generates out-of-turn attacks easily. That's important because one of my best ways to keep stuff alive is the cast-resurrect-on-death trick, but that doesn't stop you getting stiffed on turn order when you die. I can just have everybody cast Fury Swipes on my designated Spur guy, but then I'm overly dependent on keeping a single flimsy creature alive, which just winds up looking like one of my other team builds as I invest in more safeguards to make it work.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

Each miss is worth ~6 hits. At this enemy level even a "normal" leveled monster is likely to be missing close to a sixth of the time, and the new monsters starting from level 1 are going to be missing a lot more. As someone suggested, leveling up is actually detrimental since it gradually eats away at my miss rate; I can turn it off via the Altar of Blood, but that's a problem as I'd really like to level up the other creatures so I can have a little bit of survivability. Overall it's just not a gimmick with a lot of longevity.

As to why I bothered in the first place, it's extremely attractive because it generates out-of-turn attacks easily. That's important because one of my best ways to keep stuff alive is the cast-resurrect-on-death trick, but that doesn't stop you getting stiffed on turn order when you die. I can just have everybody cast Fury Swipes on my designated Spur guy, but then I'm overly dependent on keeping a single flimsy creature alive, which just winds up looking like one of my other team builds as I invest in more safeguards to make it work.

I see! Well, I'm glad you're showing off some more off-the-wall team builds. It's neat that this game has enough variety that there seems to be ways to make just about any gimmick work, to a greater or lesser extent.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Your not-pokemon's nicknames are always on point

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Update 52: Idle Hands

Checking out some of the new punishments that Tartarith unlocked at the Blood Altar. This one's not too shabby; the damage penalty is pretty trivial for a robust build to overcome, so it's easy loot.

Here's the real one I was aiming for, being a prerequisite for one of the tasks from the Fortune Sphere. We'll see it in action soon.

This sucks pretty bad, but it is entirely possible to make builds driven entirely by artifact abilities, at which point this is fairly painless and gets you some extra rewards.

Nether creature levels are normally based on the level of your team. Which can be a problem if you're running a solo nether creature, or if you need/want lower level support. This gives you a workaround.

Good way to guarantee procs that require you to do damage. Also takes the teeth out of Shell, which can be good or bad depending on how much you rely on it. Granted, if you're running a super squishy team like this one you're going to be taking damage from everything anyhow.

Speaking of which, I added a few more layers of status procs to the basilisk's cloak. As long as he stays alive the clutchers can all self-resurrect, so anything to help keep him alive is hugely valuable.

So let's try this again. Bringing back the occultist since silence is one of the quickest ways to kill the clutchers permanently.

One of the nice things about this sort of strategy is that since the smith's ability is doing essentially 100% of the actual damage, he gets credited with all the kills. So I can stack up all my good cast-on-kill spells on him and get the benefits regardless of who's doing the attacking.

Skeletons have a pretty linear breeding tree and this one is a link or two ahead of where we're at.

So, our basilisk's special ability is that if it gets two consecutive turns without getting hit between them it gets a free attack against every enemy. Which means 6 chances to miss and bring down an unholy slapfest from the clutchers. With the Stronghold drawing all those attacks to itself, it's not gonna last long.

You might say that this is not a great start to the battle.

The free cast-on-death ability turns a team wipe into 2 dead and 4 wounded but with a free Shell.

I try to turn things around, but eventually I have to cut and run; I don't have nearly enough breathing space to get enough Dark Transformations to be worthwhile.

Boring.

More breeding options stuck behind waspids.

A few more fights and I've cleaned out the level, so time to fire up some more fodder.

Unfortunately, things go pear-shaped pretty quickly after slaughtering a couple parties of elves. Creatures spawned by charms still get random nether traits, and one of them rolled the sloth trait that cuts the party's mana in half--which makes my emergency reset button permanently out of reach.

We're dead, but I'm still counting this one as a qualified success for making it through the level proper.

Bringing out Team Defense again for a go at a Daily Realm.

This would have been more useful on my burn team. Maybe.

A copy of the Spirit Vulpes's cast-at-start trait for stat altering spells. Could be handy. Maybe.

It is good to see that you're growing stronger with each passing day. Soon, you will be ready to harness the power of the winds just as I do.

Don't care, you're still an rear end in a top hat.

Sleep is really overrated by this game, there are better disabling effects that are no more difficult to stick on enemies.

Not very good. Functionally it's basically a free Ward that stacks with the Ward status, which is all well and good, but it's got the same proc rate as the super common Urhul Tremor's ability to cancel spells altogether. (Notably, both abilities stack with themselves. Just in case you really wanted to gently caress up enemy spellcasting.)

Take 2 on Operation Elf Death.

Murdering a bunch of elves attracts the attention of a Nemesis Boss, shown here as a slightly darker elf.

Nemesis enemies mix things up a bit (unlike the parties spawned directly from charms) but still stick to the same monster family.

Theoretically one of the elves would mess with Bastion's provoke trigger, but that one's not in the spawning pool yet so they die pretty easily.. Nemesis creatures are described as being more powerful, but it's not really clear in what way they're actually tougher than standard enemies; they show up as being the same level and don't get any bonus traits or anything.

Beating them yields a treasure dump equivalent to a major chest like a miniboss reward. Not bad, but the only way to reliably spawn them (other than turning on infinite monster spawns and grinding forever) is to pop a charm, which takes 10k brimstone to make. It's a decent resource sink since brimstone is generally not in tremendous demand, but there's still a limit to how much you can make.

More importantly, though, beating a nemesis boss finishes out the Fortune Sphere's slate of tasks.

The rewards from the Fortune Sphere are pretty huge. This is basically a large chest's worth of loot plus a bunch of gem dust.

A lot of gem dust.

So now that I've technically* cleared a level with the garbage necrotic clutcher team, let's bury them and never speak of them again. We've got better things to do.

These guys aren't my favorites, but they'll do for now.

As before, the Iron Imler gets a juicy stat boost every time one of the Imlings die. The big upshot is that these ones automatically self-resurrect without having to structure the whole team around salamander spell trigger shenanigans.

(Unfortunately, when the description says the imlings resurrect as a "copy" of one of your Imlers it really just means they resurrect as the same species--they don't inherit the Imler's stats. Which is a shame, because it would be great to have a row of these guys alongside an Iron Imler inheriting ever-higher stats as the imler gets boosts from imling deaths.)

It turns out that familiars dumping spells at +120% damage with 60% defense penetration kind of hurt. The prudent thing would be to bail, but I just got here, so... let's go for it.

Even with triple attack boosts from the dead imlers, Heinrich's damage is less than impressive. But it's enough to knock out a familiar, which is important because...

Black Ice on death! And he's wielding the Double Take spear, so between the two casts he completely stonewalls the enemy team.

Round two. Again, the damage looks low... but between multicast and Double Take, he's casting Fury Swipes on himself four times in a row, for 20 random attacks.

Each of which is doubled again by Double Take.

So that's about 15000 or so damage, plus whatever spell procs he gets off.

I'll take it.

The nice part of having imlings with built-in resurrection triggers is that I can load them up with support spells instead of being limited to a single resurrection gem.

And here's the money shot. Even with three imling boosts the imler was struggling to dent a bunch of squishy familiars... but multicasting Dark Transformation effectively quadruples that attack.

That's a bit more like it.

I would like to point out, again, that he gets 40 of these attacks. Battle over.

When the Imlings survive to get a turn they can pretty effectively shut down the enemies. Between the three of them they're packing multiple Black Holes (to wipe out those nasty nether traits), mass Scorn to block attacks, and Mana Leaks to prevent direct spellcasting.

Beautiful.

Kind of niche, but not bad. A nice spell to have an juicy autocast chance on.

I believe this may just about round out the Carnage family.

That was just enough to rank up favor with Vertraag and get his unique bonus, but it's kind of lame. The good news is that you don't have to grind very high to get it; the bad news is that we need to get him maxed out for Nether Goblet reasons anyhow. At least his realm is a great place to grind at this stage of the game.

Not bad. Honestly I should have equipped this immediately, since I hardly ever get a chance to use the multistrike rune I've been using for the death rune slot.

Bad.

Some of the class perks can be very double-edged, so this is useful if you bought any abilities that you regret having. Outside of that, though, it's not going to do a lot for you.

Got a usable breeding formula for one of the sins... and it's one of the ones we already have from the quest. Oh well.

Not a lot of new creatures this time around. This guy is handy for burn parties; it's a great way to get around artifact immunities, provided you make sure you don't kill everything before you get enough burn for a KO.

Kind of middle of the road. Defense reduction is a fantastic way to facilitate a sweep and this guy can be a great multitasker (kill something squishy, now all enemies are squishy; alternately, eat a teammate with one of the sacrifice-for-benefit spells to power up at the same time as debuffing enemies.) Still, on his own he doesn't do much to help solve the fundamental problem of keeping you alive long enough against overpowered enemies to get kills off them.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 9, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You have an unclosed end-italics from that dumb bird god.

Kind of sad the clutchers couldn't be made viable. Oh well.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Update 53: Crash

It's not really worth the risk to try to string things along for more boosts if the enemies don't kill off enough Imlings in the first round, even if it means accepting a much lower Attack score for the big burst.

After all, even if each attack is only hitting for a couple hundred, Heinrich's loaded with cast-on-hit/cast-on-kill spells that will do a lot more.

The AI in this game isn't amazing by any stretch, but it's cool to note that it's smart enough to understand how (at least some) punishment triggers work. In this case, the enemy is casting fury swipes at me, because they've got a Phase Spellblade backing them up...

...who dishes out damage to the attacker for every one of the 5 attacks that Fury Swipes triggers. At this point I don't have nearly enough boosts to do any damage, so effectively the spell does 1100+ defense-ignoring damage to me at no cost to the enemy. Not a bad trick!

Thankfully I still have this in my pocket and can cast it directly without having to rely on the on-hit trigger. With the spellblade down it's business as normal.

Having so many extremely squishy party members can be a real liability since so many bonus attack type abilities are based on the damage the original attack does. It means one of the squishies getting instagibbed translates into huge damage on other party members who would have just laughed at the original attack.

Like so. Irritatingly, the Imler getting fragged wastes a valuable boost from his buddy dying.

Multicast Dark Transformation is still a helluva drug, so we manage to pull through just the same.

Normally I rely on the occultist to set up multicast on the smith for Dark Transformation; her getting stunned before she can move slows the big transform combo down a turn. Fortunately, the imlings can get poo poo locked down; -40 MP to all enemies + mass Scorn means most of them are out of options (note how many of them have resorted to defending.)

These days new formulas are repeats more often than not, but here's a new one.

Picked up a very weird and interesting artifact. This comes from one of the few decent members of the Carver family and illustrates the double-edged nature of most of the Carvers: note that it can target any creature, including allies.

Unlike most Carver abilities, it's entirely possible to make this one work for your benefit instead of just being a way to randomly gently caress yourself over. You can stack this with one of the Priest abilities that turns attacks on allies into buffs to create a win-win. You can put it on something with a harmless attack but a lot of beneficial on-hit effects so you have an easy way to generate a lot of triggers. You can even stick it onto a solo monster build to get a guaranteed 7x attack; you don't have to worry about friendly fire when you have no teammates.

As an added bonus, the trigger on defend means that it's completely optional! You can use regular attacks as much as you want with no risk. It also means you can trigger it out-of-turn since there are spells that make the target defend.

Finally, we have a formula for the one Good Dryad.

Envy is a pretty good sin, but we don't have Kindness.

Amusingly, Dark Transformation winds up changing the Imler into something that drains its own HP with every attack. Luckily, unlike 99% of effects that don't recalculate the stat they modify in the middle of a chain of actions, the revenant's Blood for Blood ability is based on current HP for each attack. Otherwise he would have killed himself pretty quickly.

And then shortly after moving down to the next level... this happens. No idea exactly what triggered it but it was definitely processing the Wolpertinger's turn. Maybe the Wolpertinger's random spell ability rolled Elemental Barrage and it got stuck in a loop? Hell if I know.

The game doesn't save dungeon progress, so I'm back at base. At least the vendors have some good stuff to buy--maybe the game is trying to make up for the crash?

Necessitarianism is a pretty great trait (and one of the few traits where you absolutely want it on a typed shield instead of a stat based artifact.) To give you an idea of how the math breaks down, Brimjob Jr. the smith is using a heavy shield that is reasonably close to being maxed out on defense (at least for now.) That shield gives him a little over +1500 defense. His base stats total to something like 3000, including 750ish defense. So a specialized artifact can give you a much bigger boost to a single stat than Necessitarianism can--but Necessitarianism gives you much higher stats all around.

So if you care about two or more stats (admittedly, this is usually less effective than finding a build that only needs to rely on one stat) and can spare an ability slot, Necessitarianism is a great way to boost your stats. As an added bonus, you still get 100% of the benefit of all other artifact bonuses--including mana--so you can load up on all the status effects that you might normally pass up in favor of more stats.

The spell vendor also has some goodies for us. It's nothing amazing, but definitely a nice perk.

Take 2.

Dark Transformation rolled a Bone Reaper and none of the enemies are particularly dangerous, so I decided to have a bit of fun harvesting teammates for stats.

The best part is that the reaper's ability procs on both attacks of Double Take, so I get all this twice.

Speaking of reapers, found another one.

That actually finishes out the level--things were a little rocky for the first couple levels, but now that the team is up to speed I'm rolling over fights pretty easily.

I've got a pile of arena invites to burn through and it's one of the objectives for the new set of tasks from the Fortune Sphere, so why not?

First team. A bit lopsided in favor of offense, but that's generally not too bad.

We immediately run into a problem: our premier attacker has a teammate-sacrificing spell that autocasts at the start of battle. Worse, casting it on himself means he doesn't even get the benefits of the sacrifice.

We muddle through all the same and live to fight another day. This time Death Siphon doesn't autocast and I get a chance to use it for its intended purpose.

Round 3. The ghoul autocasts Death Siphon again, but at least this time he doesn't suicide himself.

Unfortunately, I didn't look very closely at the spell gem he has equipped... and it turns out it has a trigger to cast on kill, too.

Did I mention that killing yourself with Death Siphon also triggers cast on kill triggers? :smithicide:

So that one's basically a lost cause. I manage to get down to sphinx vs. ent, but I have no hope of getting through his regeneration and meanwhile I'm dying to poison.

A shameful defeat.

Even more shameful, I managed to miss out on a whole batch of screenshots from several more arena fights as well as a quick Daily Realm run. I got a bunch more rando legendary materials from the arena, but in particular...

I'm now sitting on a copy of the Storm Lord's ability that reduces damage for the whole team by a whopping 65% as long as the bearer is above 90% health. It's really handy to have, but right now my only route to the Storm Lord involves unlocking Cyclones and I'd really rather not do that--having turns skipped randomly can really gently caress you over in a big way.

It'll take a while to finish enchanting an artifact with it, but I've got time. I could blow a bunch of shards, but Vertraag's domain generates extra energy for rituals and it seems like a shame to waste it all.

Got several new breeding formulas from the lost footage as well. This guy's a pretty decent find--nerfing enemy defense into the ground is a good way to ensure you have a win condition, and while there are a bunch of ways to reduce defense none are as repeatable as this.

Remember, when you queue up a bunch of attacks they generally don't recalculate stats between hits. So toss Fury Swipes and if something gets bopped 3 times it's down 90% defense, 4 times and it's straight zeroed out. And it's an AOE. So in 1-2 actions this guy can just about set the entire enemy party to 0 defense.

This guy would have been fun in the burn party, but also kind of redundant when you've got a pyro grimoire with Book of the Elder--Inferno increases burn potency by 100% across the entire enemy group. Being able to spam attacks with Fury Swipes or similar to rack up bigger burn numbers is fun but not really relevant enough to justify a spot.

I like the concept, but at these depths you'd have a pretty hard time turning this into enough damage to be worthwhile.

The Proliferator isn't that amazing, but if you've got a reason to use a couple of auto-buffing creatures and toss up a few mass buff spells of your own you can rack up some pretty appreciable stat boosts. At 4 buffs you're basically equivalent to the Planetary Amaranth's defense bonus, which is already pretty good, plus you get the same bonus to Attack/Intelligence.

And it stacks. So throw in a couple more of these and you can be getting meaty boosts of +20% or more for every buff.

All the story bosses just straight up reuse regular monster art. The Ceaseless Gladiator also reuses a regular monster ability, at least in the refight. It's not too shabby--you already get a pretty appreciable boost after just a round or two, and if the fight gets stalematey it gives you a potential way out.

The Soul Reaper is one of the better ways to spread a lot of copies of a stacking trait around really quickly (great for something like the dryad above--reap the dryad, now you can get 6x boosts.) As an added bonus, if an enemy with a juicy trait pops up you can steal it for your own use. It still suffers from the same basic problem all the reapers have: there's really no easy way to safely and efficiently set up their ability trigger.

Here's the big find from the lost batch of screenshots, though. This is one of my favorite imler abilities because it lets you ramp up stats in a really huge way. The best part is, since it's on an artifact you can equip it on anything and it will work just as well as if you had the actual imler. Hell, you could run an all-imling party and let them buff themselves. It's got limited value for the current setup since the imling trio is just there as sacrificial support and having it on a half-attack artifact is a little bit of a waste, but it's got some serious potential.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 13, 2017

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

quote:

That actually finishes out the level--things were a little rocky for the first couple levels, but now that the team is up to speed I'm rolling over fights pretty easily. So on to creature roundup.

I've got a pile of arena invites to burn through and it's one of the objectives for the new set of tasks from the Fortune Sphere, so why not?

I think something went wrong there? Seems out of order.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Whoops, at one point I was going to cut off the update there before I realized how short it was. Creature roundup is at the end of the update as usual.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010
I don't think you actually mentioned what's in the latest batch of fortune sphere tasks. Anything interesting, or mostly just stuff you would be doing anyway eventually?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

NAME REDACTED posted:

I don't think you actually mentioned what's in the latest batch of fortune sphere tasks. Anything interesting, or mostly just stuff you would be doing anyway eventually?

There is a new one with an interesting wrinkle that should be in the next update, but otherwise all pretty boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

BIG NEWS!

quote:

Well, I don’t think I can go one more day without talking about it, so here it is: Siralim 3 is in active development! So active, in fact, that it’s only a few months away from being ready for Steam Early Access. Yes, our next so-called “small game” turned out to be the massive Siralim 3.
http://www.thylacinestudios.com/soft-announcement-siralim-3/

• Locked thread