Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's not advisable to liberate characters on the basis of them not being the best at the Rite, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Fangz posted:

It's not advisable to liberate characters on the basis of them not being the best at the Rite, no.

also, i didn't like them

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

If you've decided you don't like Jodi, then why are you worried about not finding out more about her?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Fangz posted:

If you've decided you don't like Jodi, then why are you worried about not finding out more about her?

i like to see all the content a good videogame has to offer

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

This game is boring.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I mean, sure. If you really desperately wanted to get to know Jodi more absolutely but you made your decision to send her home. Like I said, if you want to see what different orders changes, it seems worth checking out but just doing multiple play-throughs straight away just to wring The Content out seems kinda miserable in any game

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

for example of what i mean: the first person i slam dunked off my team was jodariel's slow moving rear end, and as far as i know that means i will never see what her sign, crime, or motivation was in her biography short of a second playthrough or looking it up

I did the same thing. Funnily enough, I did better with her during that rite than any other. :v:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Knorth posted:

I mean, sure. If you really desperately wanted to get to know Jodi more absolutely but you made your decision to send her home. Like I said, if you want to see what different orders changes, it seems worth checking out but just doing multiple play-throughs straight away just to wring The Content out seems kinda miserable in any game

i agree which is why i don't look forward to it!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Then don't do it and live with your choices :cheeky:

But don't worry about the game keeping anything major locked behind another play-though unless you're really curious I guess

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Cowcaster posted:

for example of what i mean: the first person i slam dunked off my team was jodariel's slow moving rear end, and as far as i know that means i will never see what her sign, crime, or motivation was in her biography short of a second playthrough or looking it up

Lol @ removing the second-best defender in the game when you don't get the best one until super-late.

I guess Gilman might be best in terms of versatility but getting the hang of controlling him is really tough.

Also: Witches are OP, seriously. If I could have a team of three Witches I absolutely would. What is their downside even meant to be?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

bewilderment posted:

Lol @ removing the second-best defender in the game when you don't get the best one until super-late.

how on earth does this relate to anything being said

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Yeah Jodariel is sick and can banish entire teams easily once you level her up a bit.

My main team is Jodariel, Rukey, and then Hedwyn/Chae.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
2.4 gig update just appeared, no official patch notes yet but the devs say it's a bunch of low-res textures for lower-end systems.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I also sent Jodi home first but she was also a really strong player for me, mostly because giving her the ability to dash twice does wonders for her mobility

Also I'd like to say I'm a huge nerd and lapped up all the back story stuff in the book. Idk why but I really felt like it was this product of ages past, and that this world genuinely had a past that not a lot of other game worlds did

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

kurona_bright posted:

Also I'd like to say I'm a huge nerd and lapped up all the back story stuff in the book. Idk why but I really felt like it was this product of ages past, and that this world genuinely had a past that not a lot of other game worlds did

Same. I really love the lore and the worldbuilding, and the characters are all phenomenal.

Regarding Liberation talk, I liberated Hedwyn first. Jodi second because I couldn't use her for poo poo. Then Rukey. Had to save my original trio.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
I beat it. I thought their previous games were better. A lot of it comes down to the fact that the plot of the previous games is spoken to you as you play the games and is really seamlessly integrated with the gameplay. In this game, I didn't enjoy slogging through what felt like a ton of text much of which had minimal bearing on the story to get to the gameplay, not to mention the large number of largely meaningless decisions (+1 to 1 stat on 1 character for 1 battle or +1 to a different stat on a different character for the same battle = who gives a poo poo).

I don't play games to read a book or watch a movie. This felt like too much of a book for me.

The gameplay itself was fine, and I think there was a decent amount of depth to the team compositions etc... but everything outside of that largely felt like either forced decisions or irrelevant (I guess aside from who to ascend). Once I got the birdwoman's flight trinket, she basically never left my party.

The game is very pretty and the music is great, just like the other supergiant games. But it was too much work for me to get to the parts that were fun (though honestly not nearly as good as to bastion or transistor) so I just don't see myself every playing this through a second time (which I did with their previous games).

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah Jodariel is sick and can banish entire teams easily once you level her up a bit.

My main team is Jodariel, Rukey, and then Hedwyn/Chae.

Yeah I pretty much got through with just Jodariel and Rukey. A strong defense player and a strong offense player. Add in the mastery that prevents Rukey from being banished when he douses the pyre and you don't even need a third.

They did a pretty good job with the exile's skillsets, they definitely feel unique and pretty much all of them are useful in their own ways.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
I really like this game, but the point where the gameplay and narrative meet (liberation rites) runs entirely contrary to how SG's other two games progress and it's kind of a bummer?

The feeling of building up to something in Bastion and Transistor is excellent and extremely fulfilling, and it works quite well in getting to the end of those games.
In Pyre you have almost directly opposing narrative and gameplay goals, and while ultimately None Of It Matters, it's a crappy feeling that really dampens enthusiasm for continuing to play or eventually wanting to replay (in my opinion). Something-something-games-as-art and all that.

Give me a plot mode where you can opt to not let anybody (friend or foe) be freed from the Rites as you and all of your enemies are locked in the eternal round-robin while everybody is growing to their maximum and the rites just become a form of bloodsport entertainment in the Downside. Though I guess technically this is what was already happening before you reassembled the Nightwings? But the gameplay doesn't really reflect that.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
My impression of this game without spoiling myself too much is that it's a further step in the direction Transistor went from Bastion, good aesthetics and storytelling with a more or less complete loss of the incredible mechanics that made Bastion one of the best games ever made. If so, that's really sad. I'd hope to see Supergiant get back on track with more fantastic game design to go along with the other stuff, but it seems like they've totally lost their way.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Or you could play it and stop griping that a game designer made something different from their previous games.

I'm not sure what "incredible mechanics" you're talking about -- the variety of weapons? The mobility options? Because that's all there in pyre too. Each character class controls differently and has different powers, giving you a lot of fun options.

Pyre has all the other touches that make Supergiant games what they are: beautiful art, great music, a fleshed out setting that's exposed to you through characters and artifacts that you collect automatically as the game progresses. And of course trials and self-imposed difficulty modifiers. The biggest differences are the story is mostly communicated through text, and the story and combat are more tightly connected.

"Lost their way"? What's that even supposed to mean?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Bastion was an alright action rpg with two good plot moments and one good song, transistor and pyre are way better imo. If this is a direction supergiant are taking I eagerly await what they do next.

Edit: like however much you like bastion you gotta admit it's not much different from what any other dev can pump out, whereas both transistor and pyre are new and unique things. I way prefer seeing the Supergiant team making these astounding, inventive new things than doing Bastion 2.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 29, 2017

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Fangz posted:

Bastion was an alright action rpg with two good plot moments and one good song, transistor and pyre are way better imo. If this is a direction supergiant are taking I eagerly await what they do next.

Edit: like however much you like bastion you gotta admit it's not much different from what any other dev can pump out, whereas both transistor and pyre are new and unique things. I way prefer seeing the Supergiant team making these astounding, inventive new things than doing Bastion 2.

This exactly.

I don't mind if theres rough spots or if gameplay isn't perfect. I'll be honest, I've had issues with gameplay in every single one of their games. However they are still my favorite dev team and I love everything they put out. Cause they aren't afraid to go for it, and its clear they put a love of love and care in crafting their worlds. That's enough for me personally and I'd rather not have them rehash the same stuff over and over with sequels.

None of their games are perfect, but they've always been great experiences.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Bastion is a fine action rpg but transistor and pyre have much more interesting mechanics.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
My fiancee bought this game, and I have to admit I'm a little baffled by it. You basically play blitzball and that's the game? Not entirely sure why everyone is saying this game is so amazing.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

My fiancee bought this game, and I have to admit I'm a little baffled by it. You basically play blitzball and that's the game? Not entirely sure why everyone is saying this game is so amazing.

the blitzball is fun, and beyond that it has a good story and cool characters

also it is pretty for both your eyeballs and earholes

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

People call it basketball but really aside from the dunking it really is closer to blitzball or the various varieties of handegg around the world.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I played some Versus Mode with a friend the other day and well, giving Oralech the +4 Presence skill (for a total of 40) and that Cursed Claw item that lets him keep his aura when holding the Orb is hilarious

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
Maybe a stupid question, but I beat the game and can't figure out how to start over for playthrough #2. I can only seem to "load checkpoint" which puts me right before the final rite. What am I missing?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It's very unintuitive. Go into Settings and find the option to switch save slots.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Finished the game today and thoroughly enjoyed it. I really wanna do another run to reverse the order of my liberations so I get to see more of the characters I liberated early

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This game has, by far, the best mechanics and gameplay of the three games what are you talking about.

Also _ae is the unparalleled best player in the game. Get her legendary talisman and then get all of her orb handling abilities (infinite stamina on holding the orb, quick shooting, quick running) and basically all you have to do is get the ball to her and she becomes Steph Curry, able to shoot the ball from like half loving court. And unlike the other offensive characters like ti'zo or Rukey, she's based around shooting, so you don't get hosed in the subsequent round after she scores. Its loving nuts. Just kill like one of the opposing team, get the ball to her, she runs at a billion miles an hour and shoots it in half a second.

I was slightly disappointed by the ending (although loved the song), but man alive if this wasn't easily the best game supergiant has put out. The worldbuilding, lore, and basically every character is incredibly rich.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

*ae is the #1 star player no doubt. Infinite stamina when holding the orb is ridiculous

Story q Can the final party member you liberate not give the Reader the chance instead? I'm just wondering if I could've pissed characters off somehow

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

And unlike the other offensive characters like ti'zo or Rukey, she's based around shooting, so you don't get hosed in the subsequent round after she scores.

To be fair both Rukey and Ti'zo have masteries for preventing their banishment after scoring. Though Ti'zo's has a condition that he has to be flying when he hits the pyre for his to kick in. I agree with everything else you said though. I think Gilman is also very powerful but he's arguably the hardest to use out of those four.

Also for Nina's question

I've tested Jodariel and Bertrude who both give you the chance. Rukey would be my guess for most likely to be a hold out but I suspect he'd still give it to you. From all the inner-shrine dialog it's pretty clear hes the most desperate to go home, but he's a dependable and good guy so he's probably not gonna be selfish. It would be interesting if someone finds someone who wouldn't. But I get the feeling they'd all do. It kinda messes with the themes of the game for them to be suddenly selfish and also it robs you of making that final choice which makes things less interesting

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I actually love that there's no token evil/just selfish party member. You def have doubts about Pamitha and Bertrude, maybe even Volfred, when they join but all of them turn out to be really decent people

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
What did Bertrude ever do? :colbert:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Nothing I'm just a dirty racist about tentacle witches. Bert is a good and most excellent lady

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Nina posted:

I actually love that there's no token evil/just selfish party member. You def have doubts about Pamitha and Bertrude, maybe even Volfred, when they join but all of them turn out to be really decent people

I was expecting Volfred to do a heel turn for a good chunk of the game because in a lot of other games he's exactly the sort of character who'd backstab you. I was really happy when it turned out that the dude was a cool and kind person.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

JuniperCake posted:

I was expecting Volfred to do a heel turn for a good chunk of the game because in a lot of other games he's exactly the sort of character who'd backstab you. I was really happy when it turned out that the dude was a cool and kind person.

the bit i got in the ending where he hears about the statue they built up top and starts crying really made me like him

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/0jenzee0/status/890639967214424065

https://twitter.com/0jenzee0/status/890754267333525505

:3:

I thought the slow turnaround of feelings towards Volfred after actually getting to know him past his pointedly mysterious and kinda arrogant and dismissive first impression was really well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Really if you buy into the whole revolution thing, V deserves getting out way more than you do for all the work he put in.

• Locked thread