Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I bought this even though I thought I'd bounce hard off of it but I really wanted to hear more Supergiant music and I ended up thinking the music so far is the weakest of the 3 games (I haven't heard all the music with the vocals yet admittedly), the visual novel stuff being servicable, and really liking wizard basketball which I think is the complete opposite of the consensus. Also my favorite Supergiant game right now

I know everyone said the kotaku review spoiled a key-gameplay mechanic so I read the gamespot review instead and that also spoiled liberating only one person up at a time without warning. I don't care but it was funny that everyone said to avoid kotaku and the next review I read spoils the same thing.

Mid(?) game spoiler question: Volfred said he made a list of the % amount each exile being sent up would contribute to the Plan, is there a way to actually see that, is it just characterization for Volfred, or should I just keep playing the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Don't worry too much about the numbers, go with your gut feeling.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
There's no way to see the percentage, if it even exists. Just pick whoever you think helps the Plan the most, or whoever deserves it most, whoever you want.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, don't fret about the numbers. Free the Nightwings you think deserve to be free the most. Follow your heart.

Also I really enjoy basically every part of Pyre. I love the visual novel stuff--I really came to care about the characters way more than I thought I would--and wizard basketball is a ton of fun. I kind of wish there was online multiplayer, but local multiplayer is good, too. They managed to make a really fun and dynamic game out of the Rites' relatively simple rules.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I figured it was just flavor. I've been scarred for life by Valkyrie Profile's hyper esoteric and specific approach to its best ending

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I definitely felt the Valkyrie Profile parallel. I'd probably describe Pyre as Oregon Trail meets Valkyrie Profile meets magic basketball.

Unrelated: my only goal in my next playthrough is to never go up against the Essence in a Liberation Rite again. Holy poo poo gently caress those birds. It didn't help that I'd already freed Pamitha, so my one character who might have been able to keep up with their stupid invincible charging was gone. I can't even begin to describe how humiliating my defeat was. I even had Volfred and Bertrude with their "regain 40 pyre health if it's extinguished" and "enemies deal -10 damage to your pyre if yours is lower than theirs" abilities and I still lost. Probably because I used to really slow characters thinking that having a huge amount of pyre health would be the key, which clearly it was not.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 14, 2017

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Kurtofan posted:

how do you do a new game after finishing the last rite? I'm not seeing the option.

It's a bit unintuitive, you have to go into the menus and change your save slot.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

can i just say how i love how pyre did the hover flavor text thing like tyranny? i love that feature

Same. I really liked that they did the same thing for each of your choices, too; so even if you pick the "Remain silent" option it still goes into your motivation for doing so.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just finished this. Felt like as a complete package it's probably Supergiant's best game, but at the same time it didn't have the emotional impact for me that playing through Transistor for the first time did.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Just finished this. Felt like as a complete package it's probably Supergiant's best game, but at the same time it didn't have the emotional impact for me that playing through Transistor for the first time did.

Weirdly, I think Transistor had the least emotional impact on me, but Pyre maybe the most, just because I got really attached to all the characters. I should play Transistor again. I remember thinking it ended really abruptly, but I might have had different expectations than what the game was actually about.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Harrow posted:

Yeah, don't fret about the numbers. Free the Nightwings you think deserve to be free the most. Follow your heart.

Also I really enjoy basically every part of Pyre. I love the visual novel stuff--I really came to care about the characters way more than I thought I would--and wizard basketball is a ton of fun. I kind of wish there was online multiplayer, but local multiplayer is good, too. They managed to make a really fun and dynamic game out of the Rites' relatively simple rules.

I would probably pay $15 for online multiplayer, Wizard Basketball is just insanely fun to me for some reason. It's masterfully designed, though I think some characters are objectively OP (Bertrude certainly is)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

precision posted:

I would probably pay $15 for online multiplayer, Wizard Basketball is just insanely fun to me for some reason. It's masterfully designed, though I think some characters are objectively OP (Bertrude certainly is)

Also the Moon-Touched Girl. That infinite stamina while she has the orb is amazing. Give her Prayer Beads on top of that and just endlessly dunk with her.

I also love Pamitha, just because of her invincible charge attack.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just realized I pretty much straight up forgot you could throw the ball into the Pyre for the vast majority of the game. Gonna try and do that a lot more on my second run. I'm also gonna activate every available Titan Star :shepicide:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I made pretty good use of throwing the orb a few times, but in general I had an easier time dunking it. The charge-up on throwing is long enough that it's a risk, which is good balance overall--you risk either scoring less, or getting banished (or the orb getting caught), but if you pull it off your character isn't banished for the next round.

I'm definitely going to try to get better at throwing next time through, though. It's the main thing I'm missing to be good enough to start activating multiple Titan Stars.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Harrow posted:

Weirdly, I think Transistor had the least emotional impact on me, but Pyre maybe the most, just because I got really attached to all the characters. I should play Transistor again. I remember thinking it ended really abruptly, but I might have had different expectations than what the game was actually about.

I liked the characters in this and there were some good moments, but Transistor had probably one of my top 5 video game endings ever.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Just equip *ae with the talisman that speeds up throwing charge time and dunk forever. It's ridiculously effective because you get max damage in a split second so it's actually faster than plunging

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

precision posted:

I'm also gonna activate every available Titan Star :shepicide:

I activated all 12 Titan Stars for a liberation rite against the Pyrehearts and shredded them; but in my first match against (spoiler team) Oralech I had only half the stars on and probably had to redo the match 20 times to win it. My takeaway is that you need to pick your opponent carefully if you're going to try an all Titan Stars match.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zerilan posted:

I liked the characters in this and there were some good moments, but Transistor had probably one of my top 5 video game endings ever.

I do remember one incredible moment from towards the end: "Who gets to go first? How about... me."

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Zerilan posted:

Just finished this. Felt like as a complete package it's probably Supergiant's best game

I just finished this after a late night binge too and I agree with this. I was disappointed in the music though which are a selling point of Supergiant games for me. There weren't any Bastion-style earworms or the pieces in Transistor. I appreciated what they were going for with the dynamic lyrics but I'm not in a rush to infinitely loop youtubes of the songs or buy the soundtrack.

This is the first Supergiant game I'm gungho about doing a replay to see what changes when I choose the opposite or if I do the liberation rites differently and playing on hard even though I found the upgraded triumverates in the endgame a bit much for me even on standard

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If you want to see what the final Liberation Rite looks like on Hard with all the Titan Stars, here's someone doing just that. (Big, big spoilers for anyone who hasn't finished the game, obviously.)

I think I'm going to play Transistor again, but then I'm going to go back to Pyre and try to play through with some Titan Stars, though probably still on the normal difficulty. I got pretty decent at it, but the Essence demolished me in the second-to-last Liberation Rite, and I'm still not very good at throwing the orb instead of dunking.

By the way, did anyone find the Prayer Beads talisman? I know what it does, but it never turned up for me at Falcon Ron's, so I must have missed an event that lets you find it. Moon-Touched Girl + a talisman that lets her avoid being banished when dunking the orb sounds like a lot of fun to me.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
How does manipulating the rankings on the planner work? Do you just throw a match and the team that won goes to the liberation rite?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lakbay posted:

How does manipulating the rankings on the planner work? Do you just throw a match and the team that won goes to the liberation rite?

I don't think they go straight to the Liberation Rite, but they'll go up in the rankings. Meanwhile, if there's a team that's high in the rankings that you don't want to face in the Liberation Rite, you can go challenge them and knock them down a few pegs.

Ultimately, though, I never felt like I had all that much control over it. Sometimes I'd target a team to knock them down and they wouldn't really lose that many points at all. And you never really have enough matches between Liberation Rites to do some serious manipulation of the rankings. I think my plan next time through is to challenge the Essence every single chance I get to try to keep them as far down as possible, though. They really are nightmares in the Liberation Rites. Not even the last Liberation Rite gave me that much trouble.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

precision posted:

I really appreciate that Supergiant made a statement to the effect of "Yo, we're tiny and online multiplayer is hard to do and really hard to do well." But, as insufferable as esports are, I'd probably watch some competitive Pyre. Do it as a standalone side game so they can rebalance characters and have some extra customization options maybe. Or they could sell out completely and give outfits, pyre colors, and crests from blind boxes and rake in that microtransaction money. Then they get bought up by Blizzard or EA or Valve and we can look forward to Bastion 2, Transistor 2, and oh god kill me now...

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Harrow posted:

Ultimately, though, I never felt like I had all that much control over it. Sometimes I'd target a team to knock them down and they wouldn't really lose that many points at all. And you never really have enough matches between Liberation Rites to do some serious manipulation of the rankings. I think my plan next time through is to challenge the Essence every single chance I get to try to keep them as far down as possible, though. They really are nightmares in the Liberation Rites. Not even the last Liberation Rite gave me that much trouble.

I had the reverse experience (though I played on normal without titan starts), the Essence were manageable but the spoiler team demolished me every time

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm always a little conflicted with Supergiant Games. I'm glad they don't do sequels and run their great ideas into the ground, but a nagging little part of me always wants more. After I beat Bastion, I really wanted an expanded sequel where you explore the wilds on your cool flying Bastion. After I beat Transistor, I badly wanted to know more about Cloudbank and its society and how it all worked before it went to hell. And now I want more Pyre, more Downside adventures and exploration. But I'm not going to get it, and that's a good thing. It's always better to leave an experience wanting more of it than having had too much.

Lakbay posted:

I had the reverse experience (though I played on normal without titan starts), the Essence were manageable but the spoiler team demolished me every time

I actually intentionally lost the last rite. I could have won, but it was down to one more dunk/throw on either of our pyres, and I just decided not to block Oralech's throw. I'm glad I did, because oh man the scene you get with Oralech if he wins is amazingly satisfying and I can't imagine beating him would be nearly as great of an ending.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The rank manipulation planner seems like it was left in from an earlier version of the game where you played a lot more matches. Also there's one team you will always face (aside from the last one) no matter how bad they are (their record was like 2-10 when I fought them).

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Now that you mention that I wonder if there was Valkyrie Profile min/maxing or a triumvirate draft that got cut

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Harrow posted:

I'm always a little conflicted with Supergiant Games. I'm glad they don't do sequels and run their great ideas into the ground, but a nagging little part of me always wants more. After I beat Bastion, I really wanted an expanded sequel where you explore the wilds on your cool flying Bastion. After I beat Transistor, I badly wanted to know more about Cloudbank and its society and how it all worked before it went to hell. And now I want more Pyre, more Downside adventures and exploration. But I'm not going to get it, and that's a good thing. It's always better to leave an experience wanting more of it than having had too much.

If I could just have one, it would be more Transistor. Cloudbank had the most stuff go unexplored. Maybe an animated series prequel. Probably have a tone like a jazzier Serial Experiment Lain.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ZorajitZorajit posted:

If I could just have one, it would be more Transistor. Cloudbank had the most stuff go unexplored. Maybe an animated series prequel. Probably have a tone like a jazzier Serial Experiment Lain.

Yeah, I agree. Of all the worlds they've set games in, Transistor seems to have the biggest gaps in what we know, and the most interesting things I could imagine going there. The Downside is pretty well-explored in Pyre, all told--if I could have anything, it'd be a way to explore it in a more free-form way or from a different perspective, but that's just not what Pyre is.

I'd love to see more of Cloudbank, though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Did anyone else notice a sudden, massive difficulty spike in Hedwyn's scribe trial? I swear that suddenly the AI did everything faster than me with perfect reflexes and coordination. I easily passed the first two trials on my first try but I had to turn the difficulty down to make that one possible at all. It was like I was suddenly playing a completely different game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That was the hardest scribe trial by a huge margin. I think it's just because Hedwyn is such a team player--alone, he has no answer for anything those NPCs could throw at him.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I remember that one took me a handful of tries, but it was ti'zo's trial that took forever. I must have tried it dozens of times.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I decided to throw a bunch of matches in my 2nd playthrough to try to get to fight different teams for the liberation rites and the heightened AI completely breaks if you don't move your team. They'll just stand there.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think the AI in the Trials might be always set to "Hard" difficulty, I had trouble with a couple of them and saw the Beyonders pull a lot of crazy poo poo that the mainline teams never did (like throwing me the ball so I'd get banished by their aura)

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I am enjoying the gently caress out of this.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Is it scripted to let you win the last match against Oralech? His team loving dominated me with my three least favourite players, got me down to 20 or so on my pyre then out of nowhere I came back and won with them on 140 or something. I'd hit the buffs pretty hard, but is it all geared towards giving you that final choice of who to liberate, whether him, you or your team member?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's not scripted, you won that.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
The AI spassed out pretty hard, they went from utterly ruthless to passing the ball between themselves in their corner.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That happens sometimes. There are a few edge scenarios the AI just can't handle so it gets confused. Happened to me during Tizo's scribe trial.

That's not scripted, though. In fact I like the ending where you lose to Oralech better than winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
On my replay, I've determined that Ser Gillman absolutely clowns on The Essence all day. It's not even fair.

• Locked thread