Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Reading some divisive stuff about the wizard basketball part, but for those that beat it does it have Transistor's problem where the game ends just as the gameplay mechanics/systems start to get more complex and interesting for the player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

JuniperCake posted:

That's a hard question to answer. Unlike transistor, a lot of the customization comes in much sooner (instead of having half of it locked in NG+). But the customization is much more limited in general and you actually have less flexibility as the game goes on due to certain mechanics. There's definite strategy and interesting things you can do by utilizing characters together but half the time it's probably easier to just bait the enemy with one of the fast characters than do any complicated combo. Also unless you jack up the difficulty settings, the AI isn't that hard to manipulate. I'm sure if you do though you can make it very hard for yourself if you want in the mid-late game.

I think the gameplay is alright, I'd say its comparable to transistor in that it's a very interesting concept but there are some rough spots. That said battles are fluid and are usually pretty quick. I wouldn't recommend the game based on gameplay alone but the gameplay didn't stop me from enjoying the excellent art/music/writing.

Fun part about the rites is that losing doesn't game over you. Winning is always optional, so if you are bored or really hate doing the rites, just do nothing and let the enemy win. That is always an option, and sometimes its the more interesting one.

Thanks, this sounds like something I might bounce hard off on so I'll wait for it to be a ps+ freebie

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I bought this even though I thought I'd bounce hard off of it but I really wanted to hear more Supergiant music and I ended up thinking the music so far is the weakest of the 3 games (I haven't heard all the music with the vocals yet admittedly), the visual novel stuff being servicable, and really liking wizard basketball which I think is the complete opposite of the consensus. Also my favorite Supergiant game right now

I know everyone said the kotaku review spoiled a key-gameplay mechanic so I read the gamespot review instead and that also spoiled liberating only one person up at a time without warning. I don't care but it was funny that everyone said to avoid kotaku and the next review I read spoils the same thing.

Mid(?) game spoiler question: Volfred said he made a list of the % amount each exile being sent up would contribute to the Plan, is there a way to actually see that, is it just characterization for Volfred, or should I just keep playing the game

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I figured it was just flavor. I've been scarred for life by Valkyrie Profile's hyper esoteric and specific approach to its best ending

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Zerilan posted:

Just finished this. Felt like as a complete package it's probably Supergiant's best game

I just finished this after a late night binge too and I agree with this. I was disappointed in the music though which are a selling point of Supergiant games for me. There weren't any Bastion-style earworms or the pieces in Transistor. I appreciated what they were going for with the dynamic lyrics but I'm not in a rush to infinitely loop youtubes of the songs or buy the soundtrack.

This is the first Supergiant game I'm gungho about doing a replay to see what changes when I choose the opposite or if I do the liberation rites differently and playing on hard even though I found the upgraded triumverates in the endgame a bit much for me even on standard

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
How does manipulating the rankings on the planner work? Do you just throw a match and the team that won goes to the liberation rite?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Harrow posted:

Ultimately, though, I never felt like I had all that much control over it. Sometimes I'd target a team to knock them down and they wouldn't really lose that many points at all. And you never really have enough matches between Liberation Rites to do some serious manipulation of the rankings. I think my plan next time through is to challenge the Essence every single chance I get to try to keep them as far down as possible, though. They really are nightmares in the Liberation Rites. Not even the last Liberation Rite gave me that much trouble.

I had the reverse experience (though I played on normal without titan starts), the Essence were manageable but the spoiler team demolished me every time

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Now that you mention that I wonder if there was Valkyrie Profile min/maxing or a triumvirate draft that got cut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I decided to throw a bunch of matches in my 2nd playthrough to try to get to fight different teams for the liberation rites and the heightened AI completely breaks if you don't move your team. They'll just stand there.

• Locked thread