Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
So what advantages do literature have over some decent non-fiction? The idea that it enriches your understanding of the world and the human condition always seemed misplaced to me given that what you are really learning is what some artist thinks about how things work. Which isn't exactly very compelling.

Unless you want to argue that the aesthetic experience of prose and rich character development is inherently valuable?

Hate Fibration fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jul 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Hate Fibration posted:

So what advantages do literature have over some decent non-fiction? The idea that it enriches your understanding of the world and the human condition always seemed misplaced to me given that what you are really learning is what some artist thinks about how things work. Which isn't exactly very compelling.

Unless you want to argue that the aesthetic experience of prose and rich character development is inherently valuable?

What are the advantages of watching a movie over a documentary?

Also, no second hand knowledge is ever without bias or the creator's perspective.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hate Fibration posted:

Maybe you should try reading some literature.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

All I'm learning looking at this painting is what water lilies look like when you have bad eye sight, which isn't exactly very compelling

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

CestMoi posted:

All I'm learning looking at this painting is what water lilies look like when you have bad eye sight, which isn't exactly very compelling
I know it's a joke, but those paintings are infinitely more interesting when you get to see them in person.

Much like how literature is infinitely more interesting when you actually read it.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
There is nothing "standard " about Joseph goddamn Conrad.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
me: i like to experience beautiful things made by people

you, a genius: but some of those things might not even be objectively true

me: i am defeated

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Tree Goat posted:

me: i like to experience beautiful things made by people

you, a genius: but some of those things might not even be objectively true

me: i am defeated

You didn't claim that. I'm not talking to you. :colbert:

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Hate Fibration posted:

You didn't claim that. I'm not talking to you. :colbert:

Your posts are just what you think. Which isn't exactly very compelling.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Tree Goat posted:

Your posts are just what you think. Which isn't exactly very compelling.

Why are you like this?

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

People won't mock you so much if you don't say very stupid things.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

CestMoi posted:

People won't mock you so much if you don't say very stupid things.

Now you tell me

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Hate Fibration posted:

Look at this stupid sentence

you should have your nose pushed in it like a dog who poo poo on the carpet

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Look at this stupid sentence

you should have your nose pushed in it like a dog who poo poo on the carpet

Tell me why!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

A. You are misconstruing fact for truth
B. You are naively ignoring the artificiality of all narratives and the role of the storyteller in creating meaning
C. If I have to explain to you while beautiful things are valuable you are literally irredeemable as a human being

dooinit
Jun 1, 2016

Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
why don't I wander into TBB, uh, more often

dooinit fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 24, 2017

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Dude you literally just posted 'Unless you want to argue that Good Thing is inherently valuable?' and acted like you were posing a question with a more deep and meaningful answer than 'No poo poo'. If the aesthetic experience of prose and character has no inherent value, what is there in a book that does?

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen
To get serious for a minute - reader contract is a big distinction but there's also a cultural element to consider. Alice, who picks up The Spaceship's Adventure from the space opera section of the bookshop because the raygun on the cover catches her eye, will likely expect certain elements from the book (a plot-driven story, speculation of what spacefaring technology might be in the future, action, etc). Bob, over in the literary fiction section looking at The Profession-haver's Daughter-Wife, will expect carefully-crafted prose, much internal dialogue and character change, no glorified violence, and so on. He'll be very disappointed if the Daughter-Wife builds a raygun and shoots off in a rocket to fight in spacewars.

So lots of folk say, "it's all marketing, literary fiction is just another genre of fiction, like horror or romance" but I think that's a bit misleading because there's such a huge cultural difference of perception between genre and lit.

The thing is - in Australia where I'm from - writing "literary fiction" can get you awards and government grants which are never given to genre authors. There's a a bunch grants, awards, competitions, conventions etc set up by both government grants and non-profit organisations. They can give young aspiring writers a massive leg up. "Genre" fiction does not receive this cultural "recognition" and is not taken seriously (occasionally it's tolerated if it's YA). Lit books will get reviews in the Sunday newspapers but sci-fi books almost never will. I don't know what it's like in the US (different I imagine), but in a small middlebrow country with a very spread-out population like Australia, this stuff is super important to author careers - our population is tiny and conservative, it's borderline impossible to chalk even a meagre living from being a fiction writer, and this sort of stuff is all we got. If Bob writes great debut novel that's considered literary, he can send it to competitions and win awards, get invited to festivals, apply for writing residencies in lovely old houses, and so on. If Alice writes a fantastic debut that's considered genre, all of that is closed to her, because it won't not considered serious fiction.

And - having an element of non-realism/speculative/fantastic stuff will almost always get you flagged as genre (with rare strange exceptions that seemed to be tied to foreign authors, but Magical Realism is a whole another beast). This is understandable if you're talking about a genre book that relies on tropes and conventions - your book might be considered less original because it relies on frameworks built by others. But that's not all genre books by far - for every Weiss and Hickman, there's a Gibson and Banks. You can write a fantastic novel, examine serious issues, be existential and all, but the presence of a speculative/fantastic/mythic element will get the book flagged as genre and it'll be shut out from a lot of opportunities as a result.

I suspect genre might be looked down upon more because a book with horrid writing and awful plots can still sell if it hits the "sweet spot" for readers who are into certain niche things, love to read about them, and will love books about them even if the book is of objectively poor quality (e.g. Ready Player One). To get a Lit piece on the bookstore shelves, you have to be able to string a few sentences together at least. Or perhaps it's because genre stuff is considered more financially profitable in the US, and is so considered less serious because it's less challenging to write (due to less financial obstacles) and less challenging to read (due reliance on familiar tropes)? I dunno.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not sure how to delineate the categories. "Genre" fiction is more than just sci-fi and fantasy, right? Something like, say, Nero Wolfe mysteries or romance novels would be "genre" fiction, yes? I assume that must be the case.

As for what constitutes "literary fiction", I'm not sure. I've seen the term used to refer to Cormac McCarthy, as an example, but I've read all his books and I've always just thought of them as westerns (for the most part) rather than "literary". Same with Joseph Conrad, who's another I've seen given the appellation; most of that's standard adventure fare of its time in my mind.

No doubt someone will be able to disabuse me of my misconceptions. Maybe those examples I've cited aren't "literary" or "real literature" and I'm simply confused. :shrug:

I'd love to hear someone actually attempt to defend The Road as not being paint-by-numbers dystopian science fiction.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

ZeroCount posted:

If the aesthetic experience of prose and character has no inherent value, what is there in a book that does?

Literally nothing. That's the point. The arguments put forth against genre fiction rely on this conceit that literature possesses some intrinsic value outside of entertainment.

Hate Fibration fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jul 24, 2017

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Hate Fibration posted:

Literally nothing. That's the point. The arguments put forth against genre fiction rely on this conceit that literature possesses some intrinsic value outside of entertainment.

Denying the value of art doesn't strengthen your case it makes you look like some hosed up anime weirdo

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Ras Het posted:

Denying the value of art doesn't strengthen your case it makes you look like some hosed up anime weirdo

Gross, anime is terribly written.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Screen animation is unironically the ideal medium for fantastical storytelling, which is the basic problem with (SFF) genre lit: it's obsolete.

Peel fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 24, 2017

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Hate Fibration posted:

I'm not sure if you've actually thought this position through.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Hate Fibration posted:

I don't think you can call something a conceit if it's completely true.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

You can spend money on "real literature" books as much as you want but I guarantee I've got the better deal by having surgery to transform me into a baby again so I can lie in a cot and paw ineffectually at a mobile

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hate Fibration posted:

A fedora has gained sentience

Liquid Communism posted:

I'd love to hear someone actually attempt to defend The Road as not being paint-by-numbers dystopian science fiction.

I'm not the biggest fan of The Road but if you are going to wholly discount the role of craft in its popularity you are giving the book a tremendously pedestrian reading.

Like, simply looking at The Road and going "heh typical post-apocalyptic fiction" is to reduce all literature to simply the recounting of plot details. Craft matters.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 24, 2017

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

It's kind of a weird argument to make anyway, since literature is more entertaining than genre.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I'm not the biggest fan of The Road but if you are going to wholly discount the role of craft in its popularity you are giving the book a tremendously pedestrian reading.

Like, simply looking at The Road and going "heh typical post-apocalyptic fiction" is to reduce all literature to simply the recounting of plot details. Craft matters.

the road is "just" typical post-apocalyptic fiction compared to Blindness though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I am still struggling to comprehend the level of intellectual, emotional, and spiritual emptiness it takes to reduce all art to utilitarian entertainment

ulvir posted:

the road is "just" typical post-apocalyptic fiction compared to Blindness though.

Well Blindness is one of the greatest novels ever written so that's not really fair. Like, I will defend McCarthy as a generational talent but Jose Saramago is one of the greatest authors of the 20th century.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 24, 2017

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

true, I was just splitting hairs

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I am also really mad at The Road because its lesser McCarthy that won the Pulitzer over the way more deserving The Echo-maker by Richard Powers

The Echo-Maker is probably the best American novel of the aughts

EDIT: gently caress forgot about Gilead by Marilynne Robinson, second best American novel

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

CestMoi posted:

You can spend money on "real literature" books as much as you want but I guarantee I've got the better deal by having surgery to transform me into a baby again so I can lie in a cot and paw ineffectually at a mobile

This was too good. No one's gonna top this. I'm out.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am still struggling to comprehend the level of intellectual, emotional, and spiritual emptiness it takes to reduce all art to utilitarian entertainment

Please do not spend actual effort on my dumb posts. Art is important and without music life would be a mistake.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Renunciation of the desire for transcendence is true wisdom; adult babies are the bodhisattvas of our age.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Mel Mudkiper posted:

their actual argument was missing a few premises in the original post but i think it is supposed to be something like "people say to read lit rather than genre because it's supposed to reveal truths about the human condition + it's aesthetically better, but if i want truth, why not just read non-fiction? and 'aesthetics' seems pretty hard to quantify, so..."

so it's still very stupid, but not quite "why do these hu-mans make 'art,' it does not further their species, beep boop"

Tree Goat fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 24, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Hate Fibration posted:

This is extra dumb because genre fiction also has this intrinsic value. There's plenty of authors who write books that have "SCIENCE FICTION" or "FANTASY" stamped on the spine that I enjoy for their writing. People who bemoan genre fiction do so because they feel it doesn't live up to these standards, not because it has openly eschewed it.

Is this you being mad that someone doesn't like a book you like because it really doesn't matter if they don't

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

A fedora has gained sentience

Craft does matter, but then we are also in need of a better definition of 'genre' beyond pretentious snobbery still based in the era of pulps.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Liquid Communism posted:

Craft does matter, but then we are also in need of a better definition of 'genre' beyond pretentious snobbery still based in the era of pulps.

it's a normative category based on a combination of its content and its marketing, hth.

not all books with spaceships in them are genre fiction, but all books with spaceships on the cover are genre fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Tree Goat posted:

it's a normative category based on a combination of its content and its marketing, hth.

not all books with spaceships in them are genre fiction, but all books with spaceships on the cover are genre fiction.

• Locked thread