Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

I fully admit that I am bored to tears by writing for the sake of wordplay if it is not in service to a compelling narrative. The impression that the author has decided to self-consciously attempt to impress the audience by beating them liberally about the head with a thesaurus is not something I look for in literature.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Name a book that does this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
fartasy

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

fartassy

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Reading well written things hones your sensitivity to language and since thought is expressed through language, reading literature makes you a better thinker.

In western Europe at least, reading and rhetorical proficiency has sharply declined and probably as a result of that, the public use of language has become uglier and more ideological. It's this process that brought us hideous words like "innovation", lazy nerd phrases like "X is a thing" and people who spell "army" with a capital letter.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Rothfart. Please tell me that we can all agree that this is garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Hate Fibration posted:

So what advantages do literature have over some decent non-fiction? The idea that it enriches your understanding of the world and the human condition always seemed misplaced to me given that what you are really learning is what some artist thinks about how things work. Which isn't exactly very compelling.

Unless you want to argue that the aesthetic experience of prose and rich character development is inherently valuable?

What? Learning how an artist views the world is incredibly compelling and one of the biggest reasons we consume art.

e: genuine question, what do the books you read offer that you enjoy if its apparently not either beautiful writing, interesting characters or the author's ideas about anything at all.

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 7, 2017

• Locked thread