Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i don't have the energy to add in all the žižek lisps, so you'll have to insert those yourself:

fiction only has the potential to be revolutionary if it is engaged with the lived conditions of real people, even aspirationally. there is a reason that soviet realism was the official artistic and literary style of the soviet union. by retreating to fantasy worlds, we cede control over affecting the existing order, and so act to reinforce it (c.f. adam curtis' "hypernormalisation").

escapism necessitates a retreat from these conditions, and so, paradoxically, is the most beholden to them. marx claimed that "the hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist" so too, are the works of verne and gibson indebted to the material conditions at the time of their creation. gibson himself acknowledges this with his short story "the gernsback continuum," which deals explicitly with the combination of nostalgia and second-hand naïveté when we reflect on science fiction written even a decade or two older than our own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Don't know about lisps but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIWUMkKZhus

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i don't know what the onomatopoeia is for "a sharp intake of breath followed by a long, almost impossibly long guttural scream," but that is the sound i am making, now, because of the posts.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
me: i like to experience beautiful things made by people

you, a genius: but some of those things might not even be objectively true

me: i am defeated

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Hate Fibration posted:

You didn't claim that. I'm not talking to you. :colbert:

Your posts are just what you think. Which isn't exactly very compelling.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am still struggling to comprehend the level of intellectual, emotional, and spiritual emptiness it takes to reduce all art to utilitarian entertainment

their actual argument was missing a few premises in the original post but i think it is supposed to be something like "people say to read lit rather than genre because it's supposed to reveal truths about the human condition + it's aesthetically better, but if i want truth, why not just read non-fiction? and 'aesthetics' seems pretty hard to quantify, so..."

so it's still very stupid, but not quite "why do these hu-mans make 'art,' it does not further their species, beep boop"

Tree Goat fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 24, 2017

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Liquid Communism posted:

Craft does matter, but then we are also in need of a better definition of 'genre' beyond pretentious snobbery still based in the era of pulps.

it's a normative category based on a combination of its content and its marketing, hth.

not all books with spaceships in them are genre fiction, but all books with spaceships on the cover are genre fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Liquid Communism posted:

So your contention is that it has nothing to do with quality, but rather is simply marketing choices? :allears:

fast food and michelin star restaurants are also normative marketing distinctions, but that doesn't mean that there are no distinctions in quality, just that there are no intrinsic distinctions

• Locked thread