Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

It's like I always say, the distinction is basically one of marketing rather than any quantifiable difference in content between real literature and genre fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

All I'm learning looking at this painting is what water lilies look like when you have bad eye sight, which isn't exactly very compelling

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

People won't mock you so much if you don't say very stupid things.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

You can spend money on "real literature" books as much as you want but I guarantee I've got the better deal by having surgery to transform me into a baby again so I can lie in a cot and paw ineffectually at a mobile

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

I fully admit that I am bored to tears by writing for the sake of wordplay if it is not in service to a compelling narrative. The impression that the author has decided to self-consciously attempt to impress the audience by beating them liberally about the head with a thesaurus is not something I look for in literature.

It's a good thing you conjured up the existence of those books entirely in your brain then

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

learnincurve posted:

I have no strong opinion on this debate but reading Gadsby By Ernest Vincent Wright is exactly like being repeatedly walloped upside the head with a thesaurus.

http://spinelessbooks.com/gadsby/01.html

If youth, throughout all history, had had a champion to stand up for it; to show a doubting world that a child can think; and, possibly, do it practically; you wouldn’t constantly run across folks today who claim that “a child don’t know anything.”A child’s brain starts functioning at birth; and has, amongst its many infant convolutions, thousands of dormant atoms, into which God has put a mystic possibility for noticing an adult’s act, and figuring out its purport.

You know why that is though, right?

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'd like to give someone the benefit of the doubt that they wouldn't bring up Gadsby without knowing the central gimmick of Gadsby, but people in TBB can be really incredibly stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I don't think the guy complaining that literature has too many long words was specifically concerned with Oulipo

• Locked thread