Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

The "lit vs genre" argument is a tired circlejerk. Just read good.

In other words, :gas:

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not sure how to delineate the categories. "Genre" fiction is more than just sci-fi and fantasy, right? Something like, say, Nero Wolfe mysteries or romance novels would be "genre" fiction, yes? I assume that must be the case.

As for what constitutes "literary fiction", I'm not sure. I've seen the term used to refer to Cormac McCarthy, as an example, but I've read all his books and I've always just thought of them as westerns (for the most part) rather than "literary". Same with Joseph Conrad, who's another I've seen given the appellation; most of that's standard adventure fare of its time in my mind.

No doubt someone will be able to disabuse me of my misconceptions. Maybe those examples I've cited aren't "literary" or "real literature" and I'm simply confused. :shrug:

Most people don't give a poo poo about any of this just so you know

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Hate Fibration posted:

So what advantages do literature have over some decent non-fiction? The idea that it enriches your understanding of the world and the human condition always seemed misplaced to me given that what you are really learning is what some artist thinks about how things work. Which isn't exactly very compelling.

Unless you want to argue that the aesthetic experience of prose and rich character development is inherently valuable?

What are the advantages of watching a movie over a documentary?

Also, no second hand knowledge is ever without bias or the creator's perspective.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Hate Fibration posted:

Literally nothing. That's the point. The arguments put forth against genre fiction rely on this conceit that literature possesses some intrinsic value outside of entertainment.

This is extra dumb because genre fiction also has this intrinsic value. There's plenty of authors who write books that have "SCIENCE FICTION" or "FANTASY" stamped on the spine that I enjoy for their writing. People who bemoan genre fiction do so because they feel it doesn't live up to these standards, not because it has openly eschewed it.

Is this you being mad that someone doesn't like a book you like because it really doesn't matter if they don't

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

In the end this all boils down to the fact that too many worthless nerds get bent out of shape that not everyone likes their worthless nerd books. Who gives a gently caress? Most of the chuds who are really caremad about this aren't doing so because they feel Le Guin doesn't get her fair shake or something worthwhile, they're angry that l'academie doesn't recognize Diablo III novels as being the equal of Proust, and most of the people who feign being offended by the mere existence of genre literature are trolling those scumbags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

fartassy

• Locked thread