Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
So what advantages do literature have over some decent non-fiction? The idea that it enriches your understanding of the world and the human condition always seemed misplaced to me given that what you are really learning is what some artist thinks about how things work. Which isn't exactly very compelling.

Unless you want to argue that the aesthetic experience of prose and rich character development is inherently valuable?

Hate Fibration fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jul 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Tree Goat posted:

me: i like to experience beautiful things made by people

you, a genius: but some of those things might not even be objectively true

me: i am defeated

You didn't claim that. I'm not talking to you. :colbert:

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Tree Goat posted:

Your posts are just what you think. Which isn't exactly very compelling.

Why are you like this?

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Look at this stupid sentence

you should have your nose pushed in it like a dog who poo poo on the carpet

Tell me why!

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

ZeroCount posted:

If the aesthetic experience of prose and character has no inherent value, what is there in a book that does?

Literally nothing. That's the point. The arguments put forth against genre fiction rely on this conceit that literature possesses some intrinsic value outside of entertainment.

Hate Fibration fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jul 24, 2017

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Ras Het posted:

Denying the value of art doesn't strengthen your case it makes you look like some hosed up anime weirdo

Gross, anime is terribly written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

CestMoi posted:

You can spend money on "real literature" books as much as you want but I guarantee I've got the better deal by having surgery to transform me into a baby again so I can lie in a cot and paw ineffectually at a mobile

This was too good. No one's gonna top this. I'm out.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am still struggling to comprehend the level of intellectual, emotional, and spiritual emptiness it takes to reduce all art to utilitarian entertainment

Please do not spend actual effort on my dumb posts. Art is important and without music life would be a mistake.

• Locked thread