Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Dude you literally just posted 'Unless you want to argue that Good Thing is inherently valuable?' and acted like you were posing a question with a more deep and meaningful answer than 'No poo poo'. If the aesthetic experience of prose and character has no inherent value, what is there in a book that does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Hate Fibration posted:

Literally nothing. That's the point. The arguments put forth against genre fiction rely on this conceit that literature possesses some intrinsic value outside of entertainment.

I'm not sure if you've actually thought this position through.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

There's nothing inherent to 'genre' that makes it impossible for good books to be written, it's just that the demands of the genre fiction market don't really care or prioritise good writing. The fans judge books on a lot of stuff like plot and action and worldbuilding and as such give rise to the general belief that a book, provided it possesses sufficient amount of those previous three, doesn't need to be well-written to be good. It's a secondary concern, something you'd want but not something you apparently need.
So this means you get a lot of bad genre fiction being thrust about all over the place, it's not because of an inherent shittiness in fantasy or science-fiction but rather in its consumer culture. The difference might just be marketing but over time marketing changes the very shape of what it markets.

EDIT: And when you don't like someone belittling the literary merit of genre fiction, your response should be recommend good genre fiction, not deny that literary merit exists at all.

ZeroCount fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 25, 2017

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Is it even that impenetrable, or simply unappealing? I don't keep up with literary fiction, but my stereotype of it is that it's mostly about family drama, upper-middle-class ennui, and/or people who work at a college.

I mean, you could read some to find out for yourself or you could just celebrate your own vaunted ignorance on the subject as you appear to be doing. It's entirely up to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

The word choice is a little questionable in hindsight but fortunately I am a poster not a writer and don't have to care that much about it. But honestly you can't expect to talk about how much you don't know about something and then try to tell people what it is without catching a little poo poo and no amount of dithering over vaunts is gonna stop that.

• Locked thread