Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

There are certainly a number of people both on and off the internet, in the world of academia, etc. who scoff at genres like fantasy and sci-fi and dismiss them as being schlock. Regardless of your interest in these genres as entertainment, are they (or can they be) literature, and what criteria must be met for this to be the case? I don't want to seem like I'm picking on those two genres in particular, either -- what stops a Nancy Drew mystery book from being "real" literature? Is it because it's 'meant' for fun and pure escapism?

The way it was taught to me was basically any piece of writing that attempts to tackle the metaphysical questions that have plagued man since the dawn of time constitutes "literature." "Who am I?" "Where am I going?" "What is my purpose?" I've accepted this as true but I'm curious to hear other opinions.

Essentially I don't think it matters: you can read whatever you want to read and as long as you're having fun or getting something out of the experience, who gives a poo poo? But I am highly interested in your take on what constitutes literary value as opposed to something simply being a collection of words on a page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread