Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Name a book that does this.

There is a significant difference between craft and verbosity. Ernest Hemingway is one of the greatest stylists of the English language and his craft was defined by simple terse language.

I have no strong opinion on this debate but reading Gadsby By Ernest Vincent Wright is exactly like being repeatedly walloped upside the head with a thesaurus.

http://spinelessbooks.com/gadsby/01.html

If youth, throughout all history, had had a champion to stand up for it; to show a doubting world that a child can think; and, possibly, do it practically; you wouldn’t constantly run across folks today who claim that “a child don’t know anything.”A child’s brain starts functioning at birth; and has, amongst its many infant convolutions, thousands of dormant atoms, into which God has put a mystic possibility for noticing an adult’s act, and figuring out its purport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I am aware that it is a lipogram yes.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I said I had no opinion. If you like a book read that book, it's no one's concern but yours. Clearly there are books that exist which are an exercise in word play, where the author has obviously sat there with a dictionary and a thesaurus, to suggest otherwise is a bit silly.

• Locked thread