Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Liquid Communism posted:

Exactly. It's all pretense, like any other artistic set. Often coupled with frustration that their darlings are impenetrable to the average consumer, but bad Twilight fanfiction has made the author over $60m and a fat beardy goon who doesn't even write is still raking in press and $15m a year for rights to words he'll die of sheer corpulence (or a poo poo-dick relapse) before writing.
Is it even that impenetrable, or simply unappealing? I don't keep up with literary fiction, but my stereotype of it is that it's mostly about family drama, upper-middle-class ennui, and/or people who work at a college.

What do you think of Myers' Reader's Manifesto?

Morning Bell posted:

To get serious for a minute - reader contract is a big distinction but there's also a cultural element to consider. Alice, who picks up The Spaceship's Adventure from the space opera section of the bookshop because the raygun on the cover catches her eye, will likely expect certain elements from the book (a plot-driven story, speculation of what spacefaring technology might be in the future, action, etc). Bob, over in the literary fiction section looking at The Profession-haver's Daughter-Wife, will expect carefully-crafted prose, much internal dialogue and character change, no glorified violence, and so on. He'll be very disappointed if the Daughter-Wife builds a raygun and shoots off in a rocket to fight in spacewars.

So lots of folk say, "it's all marketing, literary fiction is just another genre of fiction, like horror or romance" but I think that's a bit misleading because there's such a huge cultural difference of perception between genre and lit.
Indeed, and being totally steeped in popular genre fiction trains you to look at media a certain way. I've pretty much given up on reading film reviews, because I've come to feel that most people review a movie by going into the theatre with a list of TVTropes they expect to see, and grading the movie on how well it fulfills those expectations.

Peel posted:

Screen animation is unironically the ideal medium for fantastical storytelling, which is the basic problem with (SFF) genre lit: it's obsolete.
Nope, because of one big problem: Despite watching more TV and movies than reading books, the average person is loving clueless at actually reading visuals. Read any typical nerd complaint about a genre blockbuster film, and the complaint is always "This made no sense to me because it wasn't conveyed through expository dialogue."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ZeroCount posted:

I mean, you could read some to find out for yourself or you could just celebrate your own vaunted ignorance on the subject as you appear to be doing. It's entirely up to you.
In what way is my ignorance vaunted? Or did you just like the way that sounded in your head?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
See, that's why I said "stereotype" instead of claiming that all literary fiction is mired in bourgeoisie angst. But if you're just feeling testy, don't let that stop you.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 29, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I would agree that it's very weird to conflate a book written as a stunt, which was mocked by the literary press, with literary fiction.

• Locked thread